[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Are we raising a generation of nincompoops?

driveby

:wacko: OK. Technically it is "correct" - but it is so stupid/weak that IMO it is an incorrect use of the word. It's rather like saying "1 plus 1 is literally 2." It's true, but it's very poor English. And that's only if you use the definition you and wiegie are pushing, which is not the commonly understood/used definition of the word......which happens to be "in the literal or strict sense." So her statement re-stated would be: "she does not know how to use a can opener in literal or strict sense". As opposed to - ?

PS and oh btw, you followed up by using the word "figuratively" incorrectly. Perhaps you should quit while you're behind.

You are arguing that she used the word correctly, but not in the way you would use it, so in your opinion, it's wrong. That makes perfect sense.

By the way:

Definition of FIGURATIVE

1a : representing by a figure or resemblance : emblematic b : of or relating to representation of form or figure in art <figurative sculpture>

2a : expressing one thing in terms normally denoting another with which it may be regarded as analogous : metaphorical <figurative language> b : characterized by figures of speech <a figurative description>

— fig·u·ra·tive·ly adverb

— fig·u·ra·tive·ness noun

"Quit while you're ahead" is a figure of speech. I didn't say you should literally quit while you're ahead, because, as usual, you weren't.

So, nobody disagrees with the story, and yet, when, I believe, AtomicCEO posted that link to "Free Range Kids" about the mom who feels we coddle our children too much and makes a point of letting her son take the subway in NYC alone, she was blasted for being a horrible parent. Despite the fact that we all had longer leashes as kids than kids are given these days, that we all managed to make it to adult hood, and (again, according to the story he linked) incidents of child abduction per capita are no higher now than they used to be.

But this woman is reckless and a bad parent. The one who's child is actually going to learn what to do without always looking to mom and dad.

Oh, and BeeR, give it up. The woman's use of "literally" was both technically correct and appropriate.

I do feel a child should not be allowed to graduate from high school until they can.......(you can add your own requirement).

... balance a checkbook

...understand that earning interest is bettert than paying it.

...understand that reality TV is not real.

...understand that most people twice their age are at least twice as smart as they are.

...locate Afghanistan on a map

... balance a checkbook

...understand that earning interest is bettert than paying it.

...understand that reality TV is not real.

...understand that most people twice their age are at least twice as smart as they are.

...locate Afghanistan on a map

you are expecting quite a bit... I was going to go with "read"

Jimmy is parent of the year in today's society. I'm gonna go with "parents actually know their children's name and whereabouts sometimes"

My brother visited me this past weekend. He went out to a store and when he came home he was mad at me because my 3 and 4 year-olds were outside running around with no shirts or shoes on. I told him that I was mostly happy that they still had their pants on.

My brother visited me this past weekend. He went out to a store and when he came home he was mad at me because my 3 and 4 year-olds were outside running around with no shirts or shoes on. I told him that I was mostly happy that they still had their pants on.

As long as they don't make it to the interstate, there's really not much to worry about.