[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ryan Mathews

NYCDOG

Like others with late round picks, I drafted Ryan Mathews as my #1RB (I had 12th pick in a 12-team performance league and took him 2.13). Needless to say, due to a combination of injury, O-line holdouts and a pass-first offense, he has been a woeful disappointment.

Thankfully, I grabbed Foster, Best and Bradshaw later in the draft and am doing fine overall. However, I was hoping Mathews could provide me with at a minimum solid trade bait to improve in other areas. So far he has done squat.

SD homers or others in the know, is there light at the end of the tunnel for holding on to this guy? Granted SD was playing from behind much of last week against NE, but 8-15? Really?

You'll get nothing of value for Mathews right now. I wouldn't sell this low.

Agreed - as long as he is healthy, you may as well keep him as a bye week or injury plug-in. If Mathews pans out and has a decent second half, you will be a genius, and if he continues to under-perform, at least you have a body to throw in the lineup. No one is even going to give you so much as a third-tier wideout for Mathews right now.

Oh totally agree his has very low trade value right now. I was just curious if there is any tangible reason to think he'll turn it around

I don't think there is anything other than continued improvement at the fundamentals in practice (i.e. blitz pickup) to gain the trust of the coaching staff. Who knows if that will happen.

i would never claim to know he'll turn it around....and i sure don't think it'll happen before your fantasy season is over.

i don't think we'll know until he learns to pass protect and until he's practicing every day.

right now he looks way too impatient when he gets a chance to carry the ball. you want a guy going north and south but you'd like him to be patient enough to find the holes to break a run off too.

Edited by rebdog

i would never claim to know he'll turn it around....and i sure don't think it'll happen before your fantasy season is over.

i don't think we'll know until he learns to pass protect and until he's practicing every day.

right now he looks way too impatient when he gets a chance to carry the ball. you want a guy going north and south but you'd like him to be patient enough to find the holes to break a run off too.

Yeah. I think that knowing he'll get limited touches is making him impatient at the line. After so much "bust" talk and bad mojo surrounding the Chargers this year, he's despirate to impress. I think next year will be waaaaaay different.

Fwiw, Mathews practiced yesterday (Wednesday), which marks his first Wednesday practice since injuring his ankle. And as you may know, Norv has said once he is able to practice on a Wednesday, he will see a "bigger" role. Maybe he is finally 100%. Just something to look forward to for those of you still holding on to him.

Edited by Chloroform Rx

I've just been offered Andre Johnson and M. Lynch for Mathews and Lee Evans in a PPR league. I am very deep and WR already (Moss, Maclin and NYG Steve Smith) and have Foster, Best and Forsett at the RB position where we must start two RBs. Even though I don't really "need" another WR I'd be a fool to pass this deal up, correct?

I mean if Matthews was going to bust out he would have done it by now... right?

I'm convinced that Mathews is just dead roster weight the rest of the season. Bye week filler for the rest of the year on the teams where I own him.

I agree. An RB3 at best.

Of course, as soon as I say this, he'll go OFF!!! :wacko:

I've just been offered Andre Johnson and M. Lynch for Mathews and Lee Evans in a PPR league. I am very deep and WR already (Moss, Maclin and NYG Steve Smith) and have Foster, Best and Forsett at the RB position where we must start two RBs. Even though I don't really "need" another WR I'd be a fool to pass this deal up, correct?

Whoever made that offer to you is on crack.

The high ankle sprain didn't help early, but it's no excuse because he's been playing.

Mathews has a guy stealing catches (Sproles) and a guy stealing goal-line (Tolbert). And on top of that I'm sitting on my couch right now watching Brian Billick on NFLN slamming Mathews for his lack of vision.

You can't trade him right now, so just hang on and hope something goes his way.

Edited by JUMbotron

The high ankle sprain didn't help early, but it's no excuse because he's been playing.

Mathews has a guy stealing catches (Sproles) and a guy stealing goal-line (Tolbert). And on top of that I'm sitting on my couch right now watching Brian Billick on NFLN slamming Mathews for his lack of vision.

You can't trade him right now, so just hang on and hope something goes his way.

Isn't he running for nearly 5 yards a carry?

Wow... just wow!

I've got him, and between Addai, PT and Mathews, my RB situation is really screwed. I'm just thankful Torrain has shown up big so far.

I've been watching the available highlights of Mathews on NFL.com, and what sticks out to me is the lack of running between the tackles. If he can bounce it outside AND has a hole, he's good, but there's a limited amount of opportunities for this in an NFL game.

Also, as a side effect of the chargers beat up receiving corps, I think their WR blocking is pretty weak, which makes running outside a lot harder. Obviously, playing from behind all the time isn't helping either.

Despite all this, I dropped PT and picked up Blount. I keep second guessing myself, thinking I should have canned Mathews, but I'm still holding out hope for a better second half :wacko:

Edited by hardway

• 2 weeks later...