[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Limewire Injunction

MikesVikes

The end of Lime Wire the company as it has existed for years appears to be at hand.

LimeWire gets hammered by injunction and now music labels will seek damages from the company and founder Mark Gorton (shown here).

(Credit: Screenshot Greg Sandoval/CNET) U.S. District Judge Kimba Wood issued an injunction today against the company that operates the long popular file-sharing software, LimeWire, and requires managers there to disable "the searching, downloading, uploading, file trading and/or file distribution functionality, and/or all functionality" of the LimeWire software, Lime Wire announced.

In May, Wood, who serves the Southern District of New York, granted summary judgment in favor of the music industry's claims that Lime Group, parent of LimeWire software maker Lime Wire, and founder Mark Gorton committed copyright infringement, engaged in unfair competition, and induced copyright infringement.

LimeWire, the software, was released 10 years ago and quickly emerged as one of the favorite ways to pass pirated music across the Web. Gorton and his company have acknowledged making millions from offering the software.

"While this is not our ideal path, we hope to work with the music industry in moving forward," said a Lime Wire spokesperson in a statement. "We look forward to embracing necessary changes and collaborating with the entire music industry in the future."

link

I'm no fan of record labels but Limewire and all the rest are theft devices, pure and simple. All the pathetic justifications like "music is too expensive" are a crock of poo. Can't afford it, don't buy it. That's how it works for everything else. Just because an artefact is digital doesn't provide the right to obtain it for free.

I thought Limewire's primary function was to help one download viruses onto one's computer.

Bingo!

Not for awhile, but several years ago I was inundated by calls from friends who had teenage kids and a screwed up puter. I was able to fix most of them, but the common thread was they ALL used Limewire. Good riddance.