[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Alcohol more dangerous than some illegal drugs?

buddahj

I don't know if alcohol is as bad as heroin, but I'm fairly confident that pot is less dangerous than alcohol. Too bad California didn't pass Prop 19 as it might have set a decent precedent for other states to start growing and taxing a product that is less dangerous than cigarettes.

I didn't read the story but heard a snippet on the radio. And it's an dumb comparison. In aggregate, of course alcohol is more dangerous to society because it's used by a chit load more people. If I did heroin 5 nights a week instead of drank beer, I'm guessing it would be more harmful.

Is a downer used in moderation worse than an upper used in moderation?

Both change the natural body chemistry of an individual.

heroin = upper? new one to me.

also, alcohol will have the ABV printed on the label....there is no way to determine the quality or potency of heroin. hence, no way to use it in moderation.

not about dangers of drinking I guess, but I stopped drinking a little over a year ago....

I used to drink a bundle. I come from a long line of alcoholics. I have/had no problem putting down a handle of Scotch in a weekend without too much of a problem. I am sure I could have/can put down more, but that is a good illustration of how much I could/can put down while still being able to function as a good husband, good father and a good employee.

It came to a point though where I decided that drink wasn't worth it.

Between health issues, my family history, calories, hangovers, DTs (enough of them where it was a concern), I leveled out the hills and valleys and decided that - for me - drinking wasn't worth it. I never got in too big of trouble. I never got pulled over, ruined a relationship or really did anything that I truly regretted (that is to say - nothing that I or anybody else couldn't get over) - but my thought was, as soon as it gets to that place, its too late. So I stopped.

With that said - I am a pot head. I accept that. This is likely in my blood too. I was brought up in Woodstock NY and views on such things were a little more accepted there. I like to think of myself as an artist (I write) and I am really able to break through writers block and such when I smoke. I don't know - I see more connecting lines in a story. I see human nature a bit more. This may be in my head - but I am able to produce a lot more in an empty house and with a bag. I work Wednesday to Saturday, so I have an empty house on Mondays and Tuesdays.

Things have been dry lately and after a year off - I bought a handle of scotch a couple Friday's ago for one of the Wenches' and my, Friday Nights (our freaky, freaky night when our daughter goes to our In-Laws). Fridays have been a regular part of our week ever since she was born (1994). And low and behold. Scotch + me = argument. I've nursed the thing for a couple weeks now - but sure enough... three more enthusiastic binges = three more arguments. Now - I think I had a valid point in each of these arguments, but I know I would have handled things differently if I hadn't been drinking as these 'issues' the Wench and I were rolling with - weren't too out of the norm for folk who have been married for 16 years.

So - while I cannot say one is better than the other, I am more creative when I smoke. I am more introspective when I smoke ((from a being (constuctively) critical of myself standpoint)) and I don't have to deal with any lost time due to hangovers the following day.

Ideally - I guess it would be best if I didn't smoke - or didn't feel like I had to smoke, but for me - smoke is 1000x better on a bunch of different levels than drink.