[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

McNabbs Deal

ajfalcone

" Rotoworld) Per Donovan McNabb's new "six-year" contract, the Redskins have a window to pay his $10 million option bonus in 2011 that extends from March 1 until Week 1 of next season. Analysis: As details continue to seep out, the contract looks worse for McNabb by the day. The Skins could theoretically squat on McNabb's rights until the start of the season, opt against paying him the option bonus, and release him when the rest of the NFL already has its quarterback depth charts set. As one league source told Profootballtalk.com, "They can really stick it to him."

I dont get why he would agree to this.Assuming he already knows hes gonna hang his cleats up next year anyways.

" Rotoworld) Per Donovan McNabb's new "six-year" contract, the Redskins have a window to pay his $10 million option bonus in 2011 that extends from March 1 until Week 1 of next season. Analysis: As details continue to seep out, the contract looks worse for McNabb by the day. The Skins could theoretically squat on McNabb's rights until the start of the season, opt against paying him the option bonus, and release him when the rest of the NFL already has its quarterback depth charts set. As one league source told Profootballtalk.com, "They can really stick it to him."

I dont get why he would agree to this.Assuming he already knows hes gonna hang his cleats up next year anyways.

Best of both worlds for McNabb and the Skins. If he gets hurt, he gets paid. If they cut him (this year or next), he knows that another team will sign him to a contract he likes.

It has been speculated that McNabb will play next year and the Skins will terminate the contract after that. Sounds like the Skins will look for their next QB in the draft

+1

And the one man I'd like pulling the strings in my draft (as long as it wasn't for my defense) is Shanahan. He is a mastermind with offensive rookie draft picks or at least moving up in the draft.

It has been speculated that McNabb will play next year and the Skins will terminate the contract after that. Sounds like the Skins will look for their next QB in the draft

doesn't look to me that he'll be on the team next year unless his play significantly improves over the rest of the season - based on the 10 mill bonus that skins would have to pay him in march that would trigger other parts of the contract. maybe i'm missing something

• 4 weeks later...
mcnabb benched... for Rex Grossman.

Wow. Just wow. :wacko:

This must be a punitive measure - there's no way Grossman makes them a better team. It looks like several eras (Haynesworth, McNabb) will be ending in Washington at the end of the season. Shanahan may be coveting the next Jay Cutler...

Before the first game!! Crazy.

That's what I was thinking. Some of the things I was reading were making it sound like they needed to cut him right after the season, so I was wondering if there was something special in his contract that made it different.