[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

seperation of hajib and state?

polksalet

I wonder what the school's rationale was for twice denying her request for unpaid leave to go do this? Just curious. I'm not exactly familiar with typical school policies on granting teachers unpaid leave.

I'm guessing because she was wanting to take off at the end of the semester (finals).

I mean, the school should honor her request for unpaid leave as it would any other, but seriously? She couldn't wait until summer break?

If I read the articel correctly, there is a law to accomodate the religious needs of emplyees.

My request as an atheist to take two weeks of unpaid leave to go to Disneyland would be denied.

Yet another case of atheists getting the short end of the stick.

If I read the articel correctly, there is a law to accomodate the religious needs of emplyees.

My request as an atheist to take two weeks of unpaid leave to go to Disneyland would be denied.

Where's the measuring stick for conviction, right? I mean, say I was a strict member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, can I get unpaid leave to go to His holy and delicious birthplace of Tuscany, Italy?

Where's the measuring stick for conviction, right? I mean, say I was a strict member of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, can I get unpaid leave to go to His holy and delicious birthplace of Tuscany, Italy?

Uhm. That's my point.

As an atheist who considers christianity judaism and islam to be essentially Flying Spaghetti Monsters, it's a little galling to see those members be able to be accomodated for the demands the Great FSP while my demands for say a week of extra vacation with my family, which is just good for my soul, for lack of a better word, would not be met.

IF unpaid leave for religious reasons is validated by the state, then unpaid leave just 'cause should be to.

BTW I don't mean to demean anyone's faith here. I am talking about my beleifs not yours

Uhm. That's my point.

As an atheist who considers christianity judaism and islam to be essentially Flying Spaghetti Monsters, it's a little galling to see those members be able to be accomodated for the demands the Great FSP while my demands for say a week of extra vacation with my family, which is just good for my soul, for lack of a better word, would not be met.

IF unpaid leave for religious reasons is validated by the state, then unpaid leave just 'cause should be to.

BTW I don't mean to demean anyone's faith here. I am talking about my beleifs not yours

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was just echoing your statement. Atheist here, too. :wacko:

I mean, the school should honor her request for unpaid leave as it would any other, but seriously? She couldn't wait until summer break?

Pretty sure that the ceremony she wanted to go on is held the same time every year.

It would be akin to ask to celebrate Christmas or Hannukah in June.

I wonder what the school's rationale was for twice denying her request for unpaid leave to go do this?

Isn't a better question why the Attorney General of the UNITED STATES, Eric Holder, is taking up this case?

So she wants the first 3 weeks of December off, then she gets to take time off for CHRISTmas? This is what we need to waste our time on?

How about we let her have the time off, then put a footbath in all classrooms, and make all students sit facing mecca, and of course she has to wear a hijab, and if you don't like it she will blow the school up.

You know what would happen if she took her students on a field trip to mecca? Each and every one would be slaughtered immediately for not being m00slim.

Yes, this is the important priorities for this admin to take up.

Well, at least you get Sunday mornings off. :wacko:

Sorry if I wasn't clear - I was just echoing your statement. Atheist here, too.

You should've given him the secret handshake. :tup:

I'm guessing because she was wanting to take off at the end of the semester (finals).

She's a middle school teacher. I don't recall having "finals" in middle school. We had tests.

She was not asking for paid time off, but unpaid. Considering the unemployment level, I'm sure there's plenty of subs at the waiting to step in. And, again, this is middle school, so it's still rather generic subject matter.

Listen, I'm with Sac and overworked on this one and feel it's sort of BS that we feel the need to draw the line at only tip toeing around those cults that have been in existence a long time. But as long as we just give everyone time off (often with pay) for the Christian ones, whether they're Christian or not, I don't see why we can't let someone of another religion take time off for one of hers. Especially unpaid. And it sounds like a once in your life sort of thing. It's not like they need to plan on her being gone for 3 weeks every year.

Recently, there was a local girl in the news because she is apparently in some church called something like "The Church of Body Ornaments" or something like that. She was claiming that her school's policy against piercings violated a similar right. Because it was her religion. At first smell, the inclination is "get a freaking grip." That is until it dawns on me that I'm about as down with her story as I am with any of the other religions. As far as I'm concerned, they're all a bunch of fables used to explain the unknown and form a set of rules to live by. So, what the hell? If that means you've got to pierce your tongue? Why not? You can be damned sure that if some school told her she couldn't wear a cross around her neck, there would be a war in the streets.

Oh, wait, I forgot, actually white Christian males are the most victimized demographic. So, provided it was a white male being told to remove the cross from around his neck, we'd all be celebrating and burning goats in the streets. I almost forgot, I live a country that is, apparently by definition (as some claim here), a Christian nation, that just happens to hate Christians and punishes them and craps on them at every turn. Gotta say, it can be pretty confusing to keep up with.

If you think you're getting it now, wait until you die! :wacko: