[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mormon Cartoon

detlef

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There are bits of LDS doctrine in there and a lot of lmad libbing based on odd ball things early LDS prophets said. I have never heard that explanation about black people and don't know any LDS people that believe anything like that. :wacko:

There are bits of LDS doctrine in there and a lot of lmad libbing based on odd ball things early LDS prophets said. I have never heard that explanation about black people and don't know any LDS people that believe anything like that. :wacko:

OK do you believe you can become a God and rule another planet with your wives? Is the deal with whoever being the father of Jesus and Lucifer and all of that(minus the black people thing) and that he had sex with Mary so Jesus could be born.(now I know why Catholics hate Mormons)

Edited by SLAYER

OK do you believe you can become a God and rule another planet with your wives? Is the deal with whoever being the father of Jesus and Luther and all of that(minus the black people thing) and that he had sex with Mary so Jesus could be born.(now I know why Catholics hate Mormons)

:wacko: All hail Luther!

OK do you believe you can become a God and rule another planet with your wives? Is the deal with whoever being the father of Jesus and Lucifer and all of that(minus the black people thing) and that he had sex with Mary so Jesus could be born.(now I know why Catholics hate Mormons)

Yes to the first - Christ commanded, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect." The idea of ruling planets with multiple wives is an obscure doctrine, taught when polygamy was practiced in the 1800s.

I've never met a Catholic that hated mormons - at least openly. Cartoons and other propaganda like the "information" linked are usually produced by evangelical groups.

Yes to the first - Christ commanded, "Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father in Heaven is perfect." The idea of ruling planets with multiple wives is an obscure doctrine, taught when polygamy was practiced in the 1800s.

I've never met a Catholic that hated mormons - at least openly. Cartoons and other propaganda like the "information" linked are usually produced by evangelical groups.

Thanks for the education. So John Smith wrote what most mormons follow today?

Edited by SLAYER

Thanks for the education. So John Smith wrote what most mormons follow today?

We believe Joseph Smith translated and ancient south american record that is the Book of Mormon. Obviously, that is not well received by many, so it is commonly said that Joseph Smith wrote the Book of Mormon. We also believe in the Bible.

Material like the link that started this thread are disingenuous to say the least. I would fall out of my chair if another church published something like,"Mormons beleive in the divinity of Jesus Christ o" or "Things we have in common with the mormons."

The LDS 11th of the "Articles of Faith" - the basic outline of LDS belief:

11 We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our own conscience, and allow all men the same privilege, let them worship how, where, or what they may.

I think the contention between Christian sects and religion in general are indicative of the general human condition. Rather than build on the things we have in common, we focus on our differences and cause a lot of destruction in the process.

As many of you know, I am an atheist, and frankly think of all religion as a lot of weird myths.

While I disagree STRONGLY with most people's beleif systems, I do understand that these faiths are important to people, and respect them (which does not stop me from being vocal about it when it impinges on my freedoms)

While I do not know the source of this film, it certainly reminds me of those propagandist caricatures decrying jews, christians, or non-beleivers. At the very least, the phrase "people in glass houses..." come to mind.

Will commend Jimmy Neutron for trying to engage the conversation rather than blowing a gasket for all the anti-mormon propaganda in the film.

Without forgetting that that film is way funny and weird.

But since this board is predominantly protestant and catholic, let's not forget that a similar film about them with similar poor illustration would be equally weird and stupid

As many of you know, I am an atheist, and frankly think of all religion as a lot of weird myths.

While I disagree STRONGLY with most people's beleif systems, I do understand that these faiths are important to people, and respect them (which does not stop me from being vocal about it when it impinges on my freedoms)

While I do not know the source of this film, it certainly reminds me of those propagandist caricatures decrying jews, christians, or non-beleivers. At the very least, the phrase "people in glass houses..." come to mind.

Will commend Jimmy Neutron for trying to engage the conversation rather than blowing a gasket for all the anti-mormon propaganda in the film.

Without forgetting that that film is way funny and weird.

But since this board is predominantly protestant and catholic, let's not forget that a similar film about them with similar poor illustration would be equally weird and stupid

Um, I'm not so sure that film was created as anti-Mormon propaganda. Though I certainly believe Jimmy when he says that plenty in the cartoon is crap or at very least "mad libbed" from the old books.

Here's a question I have, however. Bat poop crazy stuff like much of what is in this movie aside. Often times, when the tall tales of various religions are scrutinized, many say, "Oh, most of us don't believe those stories, we just focus on the moral and meanings and use that to try and be a better person."

But if that's the case, how are you religious? If you're just inspired by most of the ideology associated with a religion, but don't actually believe the stories, then you're just an Atheist (or Agnostic) who happens to agree with many of the moral teachings of a certain religion. After all, they didn't invent being good.

However, if you call yourself a Christian, don't you have to actually believe in creation, for instance? Don't you have to believe in Adam and Eve and immaculate conception and Noah's ark and Jesus rising from the dead and stuff like that?

Now, this is not to say that you have to believe every half-baked nutjob who claims the old books mean this or that happened. But I'm talking about the more major things. The things that you can't write off as the banter of some fringe loony who really doesn't speak for the church.

Edited by detlef

I try to steer clear of religious discussions.

Had a brief conversation with a secretary yesterday about Christmas. She said she doesn't celebrate christmas or birthdays or anything else because Jesus didn't and it's not in the bible - or something like that.

She does celebrate/commemorate Christs death but not his birth. :wacko:

I believe she's a Jehovahs Witness.

However, if you call yourself a Christian, don't you have to actually believe in creation, for instance? Don't you have to believe in Adam and Eve and immaculate conception and Noah's ark and Jesus rising from the dead and stuff like that?

Probably the only one here that is needed for basic Christianity is the belief that Jesus rose from the dead. (And, some would argue that even that is debatable--but most would not.)

Most Christians are perfectly content with considering much of the stuff in Genesis (creation story, Noah's Ark, etc.) to be fictional parables.

Had a brief conversation with a secretary yesterday about Christmas. She said she doesn't celebrate christmas or birthdays or anything else because Jesus didn't and it's not in the bible - or something like that.

She does celebrate/commemorate Christs death but not his birth. :tup:

Sounds about right. Another peculiar thing about them is that they believe only 144,000 people will get to make it to Heaven... however, there are about 18,000,000 Jehovah's Witnesses in the world. :wacko:

Um, I'm not so sure that film was created as anti-Mormon propaganda. Though I certainly believe Jimmy when he says that plenty in the cartoon is crap or at very least "mad libbed" from the old books.

Here's a question I have, however. Bat poop crazy stuff like much of what is in this movie aside. Often times, when the tall tales of various religions are scrutinized, many say, "Oh, most of us don't believe those stories, we just focus on the moral and meanings and use that to try and be a better person."

But if that's the case, how are you religious? If you're just inspired by most of the ideology associated with a religion, but don't actually believe the stories, then you're just an Atheist (or Agnostic) who happens to agree with many of the moral teachings of a certain religion. After all, they didn't invent being good.

Now, this is not to say that you have to believe every half-baked nutjob who claims the old books mean this or that happened. But I'm talking about the more major things. The things that you can't write off as the banter of some fringe loony who really doesn't speak for the church.

I don't know how it works in other faiths, but it may be similar to the way that the Catholic Church categroizes such beliefs. Here is what it looks like for Catholics (the only thing really missing from the list would be contemporary Theological Opinion which would likely fall somewhere between #4 and #5):

1) Deposit of Faith:
Holy Scripture AND Sacred Tradition, recognized and deliniated by the Magesterium. INFALLIBLE. Cannot be added to or subtracted from.

2) Dogma:
INFALLIBLE teaching of Faith or Morals, derived from the Deposit of Faith. Propagated by ex cathedra pronouncment of reigning Pontiff or by a ecumenical council of the Church's bishops in turn ratified by reigning Pontiff. Cannot contradict Deposit of Faith or prior Dogma.

3) Doctrine:
NOT infallible teaching of the Church of Faith and Morals. Binding on all Catholics while propagated. Can be altered, modified, abandoned, even condemned. Doctrine RARELY becomes Dogma.

4) Discipline:
NOT infallible rules of behavior, binding on all Catholics while propagated, designed with the intent to keep believers "on the straight and narrow". Includes Lenten rules of fasting & priestly celibacy. Can be relaxed, altered, or abolished.

5) Devotions:
Private practice of prayers, meditions, and disciplines, in accordance to Church approval. Includes 99% of Marian devotions, belief in approved apparitions or visions (Private Revelation), First Saturdays, Stations of the Cross, etc...

So, in essence there are some areas where one could disagree with some stands taken by their preferrred religion without necessarily being non-religious (at least as goes the Catholic model). But by and large, I think you are correct that there are way too many people who identify themselves with a particular religion (for whatever reason) without wanting to fully invest themselves in the beliefs or practices of that religion.

She does celebrate/commemorate Christs death but not his birth. :wacko:

yup