[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Peyton Manning just pulled a Bryan Westbrook

CaptainHook

I dunno, scoring a TD makes running out the clock pointless, i think he went for the safe slide.

It puts the Colts back up 12, and gives the Raiders the ball back with around a minute and a half to go. Another Raiders TD, and you're back in position for an onsides kick. You take the knee, and you run out the clock and win the game right then.

Edited by CaptainHook

It puts the Colts back up 12, and gives the Raiders the ball back with around a minute and a half to go. Another Raiders TD, and you're back in position for an onsides kick. You take the knee, and you run out the clock and win the game right then.

I'm sure that's what Peyton was thinking

OAKLAND, Calif. -- While several of his teammates were poking fun at his less-than-Olympic speed on his 27-yard run in the fourth quarter of Sunday's game against the Oakland Raiders, Peyton Manning insisted on making one thing perfectly clear.

"If I wanted to score," the Indianapolis Colts veteran quarterback said, "I would have scored.

"I chose not to."

Instead of completing what would have been a 31-yard touchdown run with a naked bootleg around left end, Manning slid to the ground at the Raiders 4-yard line. With 1:39 remaining and the Colts holding a 31-26 lead, it ensured victory.

Hypothetically, while a Manning touchdown would have given the Colts a 12-point lead, it also would have given Oakland the slimmest of hopes. The Raiders would have had to score a quick answering TD and then done something miraculous with an onside kick.

"Just trying to get 3 yards or whatever it was to get the first down," Manning said of the third-and-2 play.

The snooker play had been discussed by Manning and offensive coordinator Clyde Christensen during the week of preparation. After Dominic Rhodes picked up 3 yards on first down, the topic was broached during a Raiders timeout by Manning, Christensen and coach Jim Caldwell.

On third-and-2, Manning called his own number. To give the play the best chance of working, Manning told no one. Offensive linemen are more likely to carry out their blocks if they believe they're blocking for the play called in the huddle.

"My dad (Archie) always told me that's the best way to do it," Manning said. "I didn't decide until . . . the last minute."

Center Jeff Saturday was one of the unknowing.

"We're never involved in that," he said. "We just block the play that's called."

What was called?

"A run play to the right," Saturday said.

Manning faked the handoff to Rhodes -- "I thought I had the football along with everyone else," Rhodes said -- then scooted around left end.

It was the second-longest run of Manning's career. His longest came on the same play at Buffalo on Nov. 1, 2001. Manning faked a handoff to Rhodes and took off around left end for a 33-yard touchdown.

from indystar.com

Manning faked the handoff to Rhodes -- "I thought I had the football along with everyone else," Rhodes said -- then scooted around left end.

It was the second-longest run of Manning's career. His longest came on the same play at Buffalo on Nov. 1, 2001. Manning faked a handoff to Rhodes and took off around left end for a 33-yard touchdown.

from indystar.com

Peyton Manning - Stealing carries from Dominic Rhodes for over nine years :wacko: