[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Another great tea party candidate

Dr. Sacrebleu

You really arent serious, are you? This is about staying on topic. Instead of doing that, you come back with wq(at least in your mind) a right wing "gotcha" that is somehow meant to be a counter to the patronage bullcrap being pulled by a newly elected Tea Party candidate.

You have your own thread about the stuff in California. What happens in california has no bearing to what is being discussed in Maine. That is where the "get over it" comes into play.

When talking about largher issues that influence each other (like actions from Bush still resonate now for Obama) those things have direct causal relationships. It is good to examine those issues from all sides. Just like when the next president is elected, we will discuss Obama, because it has a direct relationship on what happens afterward.

Your self righteous anger over an illegal housekeeper in Californai has nothing to do with a recent Tea Party candidate preaching change and fiscal accountability hiring his not-very qualified daughter for far about the median range for the position.

First off - all I thought that the topic was dirty politics and I think what the guy did is dirty by hiring his daughter - I thought the whole Nikki Diaz thing was dirty - sorry to think these things were at all related.

So this topic is only about things in Maine huh? So I guess that the third post in this thread (by the original poster) is off topic then huh?

First off - all I thought that the topic was dirty politics and I think what the guy did is dirty by hiring his daughter - I thought the whole Nikki Diaz thing was dirty - sorry to think these things were at all related.

So this topic is only about things in Maine huh? So I guess that the third post in this thread (by the original poster) is off topic then huh?

You mean how the topic of the whole thread was about the Tea Party quickly reneging on their campaign promises to stop corruption, waste and clean up politics?

I would say the 3rd post is a helluva lot closer to the mark than your stream of conscience posting. :wacko:

Again, you already have your own thread on this incredibly important and thrilling subject. Why try and hijack this thread? (and why didnt Whitman turn her into authorities for being illegal instad of trying to distance herself from her and just fire her? Why not have her deported if she was really tough on immigration?)

She was holding out wages? What should she have been paying $35 instead of the over 20 she was paying? Come on - the whole thing was a political ploy to win the election and it worked - dirty dirty politics.

I agree that the guy giving his daughter the job is discgraceful - I agree the guy trying to use misspelled words is also disgraceful - I was just pointing out a similar disgusting event on the other side that it seems the lefties did not think was all that bad.

Plus how in the hell is she still here???? How is she supporting herself?

Here's the massive difference, IMO. Those on one side say she knew she was undocumented all along. Those on her side say she didn't. We don't really know whether this was some sleazy tactic or someone outing a candidate from a party who is typically pretty vocal against illegal immigration as a hypocrite. We really don't know.

Now, unless there's another candidate for the position who's name is pretty damned close to that of the person in question, it's pretty damned safe to say that what dude pulled is flat out Bush league.

Uhm no. I gave two examples of tea party politicians immediately going against the whole raison d'etre of the tea party. For a party that was claiming to be a truly anti washington, anti big government, anti waste, anti business as usual here are two examples of these guys doing exactly that in spades. Though both major parties always cliam that they will clean up washington and be ethical, that is a side of their platform, these tea party guys that IS their platform.

Thus the two posts are related. One by his nepotistic activity, the other by his frivolous and hopeless law suits at taxpayers expense (though I understand your confusion as this latter one is also a dirty political trick, but that is just a coincidence).

Political dirty tricks are totally universal.

BTW I'm pretty sure Nikki Diaz is an American Idol contestant. Nicky Diaz is an illegal immigrant.

Put another way, while the tea party prime mover Sarah Palin was mocking Obama with her snide "how's that hopy changey thing workin' for ya?" I will have to ask the same question of the tea party. How's that taking back the counrty working for you? On a local level, I just got back from my in-laws whose small town in Maine has just been overtaken by tea partiers. Some of their first orders of business: the selectmen in an 'executive' meeting voted to attribute the snowplowing contract to one of the selectmen whose bid was not the lowest. Second order of business, because of a kerfufel in local politics the town manager is threatening to sue the city because she considers the workplace hostile, these same selectmen are trying to have her paid 50 000$ for her not to sue. She is the sister in law of one of these tea party selectmen.

I would be pissed if I were a tea party voter right now.

Edited by Dr. Sacrebleu

This is very disappointing. The guys daughter has no business in his administration based on her qualifications, and even if she was qualified, they would both be better served with her working for someone else. I don't really see this as political corruption so much as someone making a rookie political mistake, which I hope will be corrected, now that it has been pointed out. What people need to remember is the TEA Party isn't so much a real political party as a movement, and because of this there is no real structure. That is what leads to mistakes like this.

This is very disappointing. The guys daughter has no business in his administration based on her qualifications, and even if she was qualified, they would both be better served with her working for someone else. I don't really see this as political corruption so much as someone making a rookie political mistake, which I hope will be corrected, now that it has been pointed out. What people need to remember is the TEA Party isn't so much a real political party as a movement, and because of this there is no real structure. That is what leads to mistakes like this.

Perch . . . deciding to hire your daughter for 25% over the pay grade for the position, when she seems to be under-qualified does not need a "party structure" to tell you that is stupid and nepotism. That requires common sense.

How do you justify a fiscal conservative of the Tea Party hiring somone for a job at 25% more than the pay grade? Especially when it is his daughter? A "rookie" mistake? If one of the reasons you got elected was "too much waste in evilo gubmnet!" how can you possibly justify that? Arent you just blatently pissing in the faces of the voters that beleived that they were "taxed enough already" and then you immediately waste their money?

Tea party= just more of the same political corruption that the other two parties are infested with. The Tea party candidates just tapped into an angry undercurrent that allowed them to get elected and then they can further their own self interests like pigs at a trough.

Perch, I know you dont support this action by this guy, but for the love of God dont give your newly adopted political movement a pass becasue it doesnt have a "party structure". If anything that give even more leeway for corruption to occur without any oversight or sound advice.

Perch . . . deciding to hire your daughter for 25% over the pay grade for the position, when she seems to be under-qualified does not need a "party structure" to tell you that is stupid and nepotism. That requires common sense.

How do you justify a fiscal conservative of the Tea Party hiring somone for a job at 25% more than the pay grade? Especially when it is his daughter? A "rookie" mistake? If one of the reasons you got elected was "too much waste in evilo gubmnet!" how can you possibly justify that? Arent you just blatently pissing in the faces of the voters that beleived that they were "taxed enough already" and then you immediately waste their money?

Tea party= just more of the same political corruption that the other two parties are infested with. The Tea party candidates just tapped into an angry undercurrent that allowed them to get elected and then they can further their own self interests like pigs at a trough.

Perch, I know you dont support this action by this guy, but for the love of God dont give your newly adopted political movement a pass becasue it doesnt have a "party structure". If anything that give even more leeway for corruption to occur without any oversight or sound advice.

well said.

And the deflections that they're "no worse" in this regard than the other two parties just don't cut it. Because, like others have said, that is their main calling card. They were not elected to be "no worse" at cleaning up the government. They were elected with that specific goal in mind. And, quite possibly with the realization that they may be lacking in other skills and experience we often look for in public service, but it was worth it just to get someone different in there. So, if they're not even good at the one thing they were supposed to be good at...

It's like when people get fired up about horrible things being done by priests and people deflect this by getting data that shows it's not really any more prevalent among the cloth than it is in the public at large. Right, but these are effing priests. They're in the business of telling people what is and isn't a sin. So I think it only fair to hold them to a higher standard than the dudes hanging out at the local Adult Bookstore.

Edited by detlef

What people need to remember is the TEA Party isn't so much a real political party as a movement, and because of this there is no real structure.

Not if it doesn't go away. Folk have already run as TEA Party candidates. If it is indeed as big of a movement as it is made out to be, how long before it is a 'Party'. Folk are already able to point at every person in the TEA party and what they believe and say that it applies to all people in the TEA party - just as people do to the Democrats and Republicans.

So what, folk in the TEA party don't don't all believe the same thing. That can be said about dang near everybody, no matter what their party is.

Not if it doesn't go away. Folk have already run as TEA Party candidates. If it is indeed as big of a movement as it is made out to be, how long before it is a 'Party'. Folk are already able to point at every person in the TEA party and what they believe and say that it applies to all people in the TEA party - just as people do to the Democrats and Republicans.

So what, folk in the TEA party don't don't all believe the same thing. That can be said about dang near everybody, no matter what their party is.

I think eventually it will be a real party as we now think of parties, but you have to remember that the movement is roughly 2 years old, and at this point has no real structure and no real leaders. Who are the leaders of the TEA Party? Who heads up the national election committee? The two major parties have people in these positions, currently the TEA Party does not. I think that it eventually will, or it will dissolve into the GOP, which I hope that it does not. All I'm saying is right now it has nowhere near the structure the two major parties do, or for that matter several third parties do.