[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Finally ready

alexgaddis

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ok, I bought my tv today...

Samsung 40" LCD, 120hz...great deal from Ultimate Electronics...

they tried to sell me the warranty, cables, power strips, etc and I shot them down... :tup:

So I need to get an HDMI cable for 120hz...going to monoprice.com...

ok, need help finding the cables I need at monoprice.com :wacko:

Edited by alexgaddis

28awg hdmi high speed certified male to male cables

I'm assuming that you need a cable 16 feet or shorter, If you need a longer cable, you should probably get a thicker gauge - 24AWG

So it just needs to go from the box to the tv? So a 3ft cable works?

and its really only $3 instead of the $50 at Ultimate Electronics?

Yes Virginia, there is a Santa Claus.

Edited by Kid Cid

i get 5-6 foot cables and buy about 3-4 at a time...like to have some extras around.

what about the $130 HDTV surge protector they tried to sell me...I mean, I realize that was a scam but do I need/should I get a newer surge protector?

Also wondering. What's the best way to go here?

what about the $130 HDTV surge protector they tried to sell me...I mean, I realize that was a scam but do I need/should I get a newer surge protector?

You should be plenty fine with a regular surge protector. I have a fairly basic APC one I'm using with a 50" plasma, DVR, BluRay, and stereo receiver all running through it. Just make sure it's a "protector" and not "extension". It needs the ability for a circuit to trip in the event of a surge - at a minimum. You could splurge for a battery backup with a power line conditioner as well which allows you to power down the items normally in the event of a power loss or power sag/spike.

You might want to get a new surge protector, but a battery backup would only be useful if you were also concerned about the impact of a sudden power loss. For the TV itself, it's really not much of an issue. But for some of the other equipment typically used with a TV, primarily a DVR, having the battery backup could help prevent issues related to a sudden loss of power or intermittent losses of power (brownouts).

I suggest a new surge protector because most surge protectors are made with a fuse as a backup in case the traditional surge protection fails. The problem with a fuse is that once the fuse has burnt out, it's done, and your electronic devices are susceptible again. I'm not sure how often this happens or if fuses are still the standard in the industry (Google tells me they are). But at the very least, getting a new surge protector as opposed to just using an old one lying around the house is probably a good idea.

Edited by MTSuper7

You should buy a new surge protector, but you don't have to pay a lot for it.

This Tripp Lite unit is $33 and it should be more than sufficient for your needs. You can get a smaller one if you don't need all those outlets.

Power Squid and Belkin have some highly rated stuff. There are any number of manufacturers to choose from.

Edited by Furd

Bought a Sony LED 46" 1080p w/ sony blu-ray player for $999.99...only catch was it was 60 hz, but I really cant tell the difference between 60 and 600 for what its worth

600hz is a fictitious number and what it means is that there is no motion blur on these sets which are only plasma....

the more I look at LED and LCD, the more I hate them and only appreciate the picture of a plasma....well, a Panasonic Plasma of a G series or higher....

LED and LCD picture appears to be too choppy to me, even at 240hz which if you turn it up just enough to minimize the blur, the picture ends up looking like a soap opera....

Ok, picked up the TV today and got it all set up...just waiting for the HD service to be installed tomorrow morning, just in time for Championship weekend! :wacko:

now I understand the signal from my standard box looks like crap and thats fine for one night...but for some reason my DVD player looks odd as well...its a Samsung progressive scan dvd player (maybe 5 years old)...don't think it has an HDMI output, at least I didnt' see one...

do I need a new DVD player that upconverts to HD with an HDMI output?

Ok, picked up the TV today and got it all set up...just waiting for the HD service to be installed tomorrow morning, just in time for Championship weekend! :wacko:

now I understand the signal from my standard box looks like crap and thats fine for one night...but for some reason my DVD player looks odd as well...its a Samsung progressive scan dvd player (maybe 5 years old)...don't think it has an HDMI output, at least I didnt' see one...

do I need a new DVD player that upconverts to HD with an HDMI output?

What kind of cables are you using now to hook up your DVD player?

What kind of cables are you using now to hook up your DVD player?

just using the monster cables (don't criticize) that I was using....right now the dish comes through the DVD player and out to the tv...

ps - this whole experience makes me feel like an 80 year old man trying to use a VCR...

Edited by alexgaddis