[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ron Rivera...

tazinib1

Rivera has been given a 2nd interview with the Panthers. Only 1 of 4 to do so. Loved him when he interviewed for the Chargers gig...was pist when Norm got it but then he brings on Rivera as DC. Only sensible thing the Chargers have done in a few years. But the guy is a former Defensive Coordinator of the Year...I'm sure he'll make a fine HC in Carolina.

Rivera has been given a 2nd interview with the Panthers. Only 1 of 4 to do so. Loved him when he interviewed for the Chargers gig...was pist when Norm got it but then he brings on Rivera as DC. Only sensible thing the Chargers have done in a few years. But the guy is a former Defensive Coordinator of the Year...I'm sure he'll make a fine HC in Carolina.

It would be almost impossible for the team not to improve next year no matter who is in the HC chair

The San Diego Union-Tribune reports that the Panthers are expected to name Chargers defensive coordinator Ron Rivera the new head coach in Carolina on Tuesday. :wacko: Good for Ron. Finally, after 8 tries, he gets his shot. I'll be sad to see him go but wish him the best in Carolina.

Good . . . cause the last thing the Panthers need is an offensive-minded coach to monkey with that well-oiled machine . . .

Yeah, all of our past head coaches have been defensive ones, so a lot of folks were hoping for an offensive minded one this time around. We were hoping for not more of the same.

The one big defensive difference is that John Fox ran the 4-3 defense and had the personnel for it. If Ron Rivera switches to the 3-4 like the Chargers's D, it may take a while to be successful.

Edited by electricrelish

Btw, it started snowing here in Charlotte around 3:30 AM. It's still snowing as of 4:24 PM, but it's now starting to mix with sleet. We got from 4-6 inches. I heard that didn't stop Rob Rivera from coming to Charlotte for his second interview. Most likely, he got here last night cause he was interviewing around 2:00 PM. He'll most likely be staying the night again, especially if they announce him tomorrow.

Yeah, all of our coaches have been defensive coaches, so a lot of folks were hoping for an offensive minded one. We were hoping for not more of the same.

The one big defensive difference is that John Fox ran the 4-3 defense and has the personnel for it. If Ron Rivera switches to the 3-4 like the Chargers's D, it may take a while to be successful.

Dont forget that Ron Rivera was also a tampa-2 guy when in Chicago . . . no it is no guarantee he will switch to the 3-4. In fact, he was originally the linebackers coach for the chargers then got promoted. he may of just stuck with what he had the personnell for.

For the panthers sake I hope he hires a good offensive coordinator.

PS- still very very cold here. We may need to wait a few months for the cork it wine delivery . . .

The one big defensive difference is that John Fox ran the 4-3 defense and had the personnel for it. If Ron Rivera switches to the 3-4 like the Chargers's D, it may take a while to be successful.

Agreeing with bpw here - I think CAR stays 4-3. Only reason RR switched to 3-4 in SD is because it was already being implemented so well.

It'll be interesting to see who the Bolts get to replace him. Rivera did a fine job at SD and was well-liked by the players. I hate to see him go, but that's business as usual in the NFL. I DO wish him well as head coach in Carolina.

http://forums.thehuddle.com/index.php?s=&a...t&p=3366210

Rivera confirms that the Panthers are a 4-3 defense...good news for IDPers

Rivera's comments on the roster:

Broke down before interview

Thinks OL is solid, injuries took some vets away...thinks the young guys getting the experience was valuable

Likes RB situation, says it is solid...

TE by committee, 3 guys he likes...all with qualities of their own....if a guy out there draft or FA or roster that does it all they have to find him..will help their offense

Like young WRs (#11 and #12) then steve smith solid football player in own right..tremendous career....wants to visit with him and see how he is doing...called him dynamic, some excitement about him as well.

when you look at it i think the one position we have to find answers for obviously and i think he has some athletic ability

and he comes from a pretty solid foundation is Jimmy Clausen to see if Jimmy or if there is a QB on the roster that can become that franchise guy that you need...cause if there is one thing I have been fortunate to be around my last 4 years is a franchise QB in Phillip Rivers who is very solid..so that is one of the things we need to take a look at on the offensive side...will be influence and impact when sit with OC candidates and QB coaches to find out exactly what their approach is going to be with the guys on this roster ok and the potential candidates that are out there in terms of the the draft or free agency

I tried to transcribe as I was watching and rewinding via DVR, probably not 100% but the jist is there and it is pretty close to word for word

Edited by keggerz

Dont forget that Ron Rivera was also a tampa-2 guy when in Chicago . . . no it is no guarantee he will switch to the 3-4. In fact, he was originally the linebackers coach for the chargers then got promoted. he may of just stuck with what he had the personnell for.

For the panthers sake I hope he hires a good offensive coordinator.

PS- still very very cold here. We may need to wait a few months for the cork it wine delivery . . .

Well...he was cover 2 because that's what Lovie told him what to run.

I can't wait for him to get this team going. GREAT hire and good for him.

Greg Manusky (formerly DC for SF) to take over as DC for the Chargers in place of the departed Rivera...3-4 will remain the D in SD.

Considering the Chargers defensive personnel, this is a good thing.