[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Composite Decking

gilthorp

Your wife has better taste than you. We did azeks deck but a much cheaper Lowes pvc railing. It was a special order higher quality than Lowes stocks normally. It's a good system, very sturdy. Which I was concerned about because the deck is 13 feet high. We were able to color match very close to the azeks grey color.

Azeks won't mildew like treks does.

IIRC we are about 14' x 26' so a similar size.

You went cheaper on the railing, which saved you cost. What was the total outlay for yours, if you don't mind me asking.

I built a composite deck on my old house. Love it. Awesome. They are not maintenance free though. They stain relatively easy and need to be cleaned. It's less work then having to stain or paint a deck every few years, but they do require some care.

Also, the components are more expensive, so if you f*ck something up during installation it's going to be very costly.

However, the look is awesome, no splinters, no sanding, no painting or staining, etc. I have a wood deck at my new house, once I have enough money, I will be replacing it with composite, I'm really looking forward to being able to do that.

Yep...I've done a couple for some friends and am now doing my own in about a week when I am done with the inside portion of my remodel. Of course it is expensive but being that my dad and I are contractors(also a pool contractor) I do all the work myself so it's a no-brainer for me!

You went cheaper on the railing, which saved you cost. What was the total outlay for yours, if you don't mind me asking.

$11,600 I believe. I may have the per sq ft cost somewhere, maybe a more accurate comparison for you to judge your guys with.

That would be helpful, thanks...the more I think about the guy I met with today, I'll bet there are better options for me, and I'll guess his price will be the most competitive. Plan on getting at least 2, hopefully 3 people to come out and look.

Not gonna be much help on the pricing thing... The house we moved into has a composite deck, big one, I like the low maintenance side of it... I hate the look and feel of it. If I had the coin to redo it in pine or cypress, I would in a heart beat.

• 5 weeks later...
Just put 1/3 down, will be our guy's first job of the year - going with Timbertech. Sandridge floor boards, and antique white railings, with some built in lighting as well. Nervous as hell for the cost of it all, but I think the price is fair.

Can you post some before, during and after pics? I'd like to see how it's coming along if it's not too much trouble.

Was out on the deck the other day. I've gotta call up for some warranty repair. Two boards on a step are rotting and the boards on the vertical risers are starting to bow. Didn't think this composite stuff was supposed to do that.

• 1 month later...
Hey Hugh...I'm sorry - I couldn't get pictures in time for the piece of crap the deck was. I did however get the frame one night, and then the "in progress" work after the first 3 days. It's on Facebook.

Cool, will check it out. :wacko:

• 1 month later...

Stained the support beams and extra wood he put in place today. The finished product is a thing of beauty.

Mimi coaxed some cash out of me and we purchased 4 outddor chairs and a few tables, so the deck will now seat 10. Will post some pocs when it's all done.

• 3 weeks later...

OK....last post on this.

I'm sitting here on the lap top, just after Midnight, out on this deck.

For those looking to go composite, the maintenance is different. In the Spring, the mutt runs out into the yard, gets muddy, and the floor boards take that mud a lot harder than wood. I will need to power wash to prepare for guests after a week or so of rain. Wiping down the railings is easy, and I wish I would have gone with a darker floor. Sanding underneath was about a 3 week project because of the rain, but I knocked out the roller labor at 10 hours.

IF this holds up for the 20 years it's supposed to, I've already paid for it with the hosting I've done in the past few weeks. The fact I won't have to stain any portion of this was the major need I had 3 years ago, when I realized kids take up a ton of your "projects" ability.

I would highly recommend TimberTech material.

OK....last post on this.

I'm sitting here on the lap top, just after Midnight, out on this deck.

For those looking to go composite, the maintenance is different. In the Spring, the mutt runs out into the yard, gets muddy, and the floor boards take that mud a lot harder than wood. I will need to power wash to prepare for guests after a week or so of rain. Wiping down the railings is easy, and I wish I would have gone with a darker floor. Sanding underneath was about a 3 week project because of the rain, but I knocked out the roller labor at 10 hours.

IF this holds up for the 20 years it's supposed to, I've already paid for it with the hosting I've done in the past few weeks. The fact I won't have to stain any portion of this was the major need I had 3 years ago, when I realized kids take up a ton of your "projects" ability.

I would highly recommend TimberTech material.

How about sending a brother some pics since I am not ghey (don't have facebook )