[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Weekly Debate Topic

cliaz

You know with all of the 'experts' we have here I often wondered why we didn't hold weekly debate topics. So I figured why not give it a try. So here is the pilot attempt for our Weekly Tailgate Debate Topic.

Rules:

• Avoid the use of Never
  • Avoid the use of Always
  • Refrain from saying you are wrong and instead use mistaken
  • Attack the idea not the person
  • Avoid exaggeration
  • Quote sources
  • If it is just an opinion, admit it
  • Do not present opinion as facts
  • Concede minor or trivial points
  • Avoid bickering, quarreling, and wrangling
  • Don't win a debate and lose a friend
  • Keep your perspective - You're just debating
  • And do not hijack the thread

Context:

With its rise to the position of “hyperpower,” the global reach of the United States of America has become beyond doubt. Everywhere you look, from global politics and trade to local entertainment, cuisine and lifestyle choices, the mark of the United States is evident. But as globalization has hastened the spread of the American way of life, with its particular eating habits, popular culture, lifestyle, system of government, and values, many have begun to question the “cultural imperialism” that has spread “the American way” across the globe.

Since 2000 globalisation has been gathering pace, and the Bush administration made spreading American values and democracy a specific foreign policy aim. This has led many to wonder whether or not the American way of life is the right model towards which the countries and cultures of the world ought to move. These doubts gathered pace after the 2008 financial crisis which called into question the stabiity and sustainability of the American economic model.

As increased communication between people across the globe hurries the evolution of cultures into a uniform whole, the question remains: should the American way of life be embraced as a grand template for the world’s globalizing cultures, or should it be rejected as a harmful and even dangerous influence?

Discuss

I really don't see a lot of rejection out there. Between business and travel, I've had to forge communications with people from all over the globe, and have traveled around a lot of it over the past few years. For the most part, forigners actually still seem rather fond of us, especially muslims, which I didn't think would be the case. We're also HUGE in Asia, even China. I sometimes get the feeling that the respect from the Chinese is a mock respect, but they have embraced our way of life more quickly than I thought they would, especially with the younger crowd. I haven't had a ton of contact with the senior age bracket, which could have a completely different point of view.

I can't remember the last time I met a person that didn't speak SOME English, and I'm surprised how many speak fluently, especially the senior age group. I'm also surprised how much English is written. A lot of the signs in the cities in northern Africa and most of Asia will be written in English or written in both languages.

Somebody has got to police some of the evil that happens on a global level. I think for the most part, the people are glad that it as us at the moment. We at least appear to practice more humanity than many of the previous global powers.

I wouldn't blame other countries for rejecting our eating habits which have led to epidemic rates of obesity, heart disease and diabetes, or a lot of our moronic pop culture, or our fiscal policies which have had catastrophic consequences to our own economy and that of the rest of the world. But many people around the world seem as happy to lap it up as we are.

I hear people say all the time that we're the best country in the world, and I think to myself, how the hell do you know?? Have you lived in every country on earth? A lot of people in other countries seem pretty damn happy. There are lots of different ways to successfully run a household, or a corporation, or a nation. I think we could stand to learn a few things.

That said, I'm immensely proud to be an American and would defend this country to my death. I do not question our greatness for one second, but I do fear for our future when I look at the politicians, bankers and CEOs that run this country and their decisions made out of greed and shortsightedness.