[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

cordless drill wobble

montster

If you are going to get a new one, do yourself a favor and buy a DeWalt 14.4 volt cordless. Get a 1/2" chuck and you'll be able to do 90% of everything you will ever need.

If you want to spend a little more, get a cordless hammerdrill, and you will be able to do 100% of what you'll ever need. Don't waste your money on anything else.

At the risk of turning this into a tool-advice thread, how useful is the hammer drill? I started woodworking last year and like it a lot, but I don't see myself branching out into anything that would require a hammer drill.

edit: Actually, I just watched a video of a hammer drill. I might need to get one now. :wacko:

I was actually looking at the Makita 18V drill. Good ratings, and I know some guys personally who like theirs. Same price as DeWalt, but it's 2 pounds lighter. The DeWalt is the same weight as the Craftsman, which caused my weak, spindly arms soreness and discomfort. However, I know DeWalt is a good brand.

just take it back to another store or at another time without the receipt...tell them it is F'd up and you want to exchange it for another drill....when they ask when it was bought just say it was a fathers day gift or something like that....don't settle for NO from a sales person...ask for a manager...and then harp about craftsman warranty and not buying anything else from sears etc...

I might try that this weekend. I need to go when I don't have two small kids with me, which was the case today. Although, I could probably get some compensation by saying, "Look how your faulty drill makes my daughter cry," and then have her sob on demand.

Edited by montster

At the risk of turning this into a tool-advice thread, how useful is the hammer drill? I started woodworking last year and like it a lot, but I don't see myself branching out into anything that would require a hammer drill.

edit: Actually, I just watched a video of a hammer drill. I might need to get one now. :wacko:

I was actually looking at the Makita 18V drill. Good ratings, and I know some guys personally who like theirs. Same price as DeWalt, but it's 2 pounds lighter. The DeWalt is the same weight as the Craftsman, which caused my weak, spindly arms soreness and discomfort. However, I know DeWalt is a good brand.

I might try that this weekend. I need to go when I don't have two small kids with me, which was the case today. Although, I could probably get some compensation by saying, "Look how your faulty drill makes my daughter cry," and then have her sob on demand.

The hammerdrill is one of those tools that you need once a year or once every couple of years where you need to drill one or two holes, so it's nice to have.

I recommend DeWalt for two reasons:

1. I worked for them coming out of college, and I know they make a good product,

2. This is all I used when I was doing contracting work, and they hold up well.

DeWalt makes a 14.4v cordless hammerdrill, so the weight is less than the 18 volt because of the battery size. Plus it has a 1/2" chuck. Make sure you get that whatever drill you buy. A 14.4v will give you plenty of run time and torque for all of your home applications.

Makita does make good stuff. At the time I worked for DeWalt, their cordless were made in the USA, so I've always liked that. Not sure about that now, but I think they still do.

DeWalt and Makita are the only cordless tools I'll buy. I agree with SEC on the Milwaukee products for corded tools for the most part. If I'm hanging pictures or only doing about 5 minutes worth of work I'll use a cordless tool, but if I'm going to work all day, give me something with a cord on it. I'd never buy a cordless hammer drill. If you are going to get a hammer drill get a Hilti.

DeWalt, Makita, Hilti, Milwaukee, Metabo... Just look for these. I would say I hold DeWalt in lower regard than I probably should, but that is just a personal issue on my part. I would look for a 1/2", you get into working walnut, hickory, cherry you're gonna need the extra HP and you never know when you're gonna need to use a hole saw bit attachment for wood working (If you're trying to put a 3" hole in something you'll appreciate the power.) Get a cheap cordless for the house for quick small holes in pine, get you a good corded one for the shop.