[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Linux help

keggerz

So there is a program that I want to use for my dSLR and it runs on "Unix-like systems", which I guess means LINUX

http://www.gphoto.org/

gPhoto2 is a free, redistributable, ready to use set of digital camera software applications for Unix-like systems, written by a whole team of dedicated volunteers around the world. It supports more than 1300 cameras

gPhoto2 runs on a large range of UNIX-like operating system, including Linux, FreeBSD, NetBSD, MacOS X, etc. gPhoto is provided by major Linux distributions like Debian GNU/Linux, Ubuntu, Gentoo, Fedora, openSUSE, Mandriva, etc.

libgphoto2 is freely available and distributed under the terms of the GNU LGPL.; the other gphoto programs are freely available and distributed under the terms of the GNU GPL.

Newer libgphoto2 versions also support Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) based media players since their communications protocol is based on the Picture Transfer Protocol (PTP).

So I have an old PC with XP Pro on it and it only has 512 MB ram and I can wipe it clean if need be (I own a full license of XP Pro) but honestly if I can just get it to run linux for this program that would be great....

Any tips, tricks etc on what I need to do...which of the above listed should I go with, Ubuntu, Fedora etc?

Learn me something Polk!

First Unix-like doesn't mean Linux. After all MAC is Unix-Like as is the Droid O?S and the soon to be released Google Chrome o/s. But you can make most Linux packages work with nearly anything that has some Unix code.

The three Linux distros that I am most familiar with are

1. Ubuntu -extremely

2. Mepis - quite a bit

3. Puppy - not much but its like a claw hammer, how much do you really need to know?

I am quite put out with Ubuntu's last few offerings. Other than the near total security, total lack of virus threat, and copius amounts of free software that woks great Linux offerings normally run well on older machines. Unfortunately Ubuntu is getting somewhat bloated and its h/w requirements are about half of a typical winblows offering. Ubuntu will run on your machine but it could be a little bit tedious. Linux live cd would be EXTREMELY slow ow your machine so I would load it alongside XP so you can use both o/s's. This is an automated process and is simple to do.

Mepis is the coolest of the Linux offerings that I have tried. It has gphoto as well and would run just fine. mepis however is a little strange in the way it is put together. Its like the it was put together by an east german dropping acid. I mean it works great it is just different. I guess it is odd because it is designed to function more like XP than any of the others.

You can get gphoto as an offering for puppy. Imagine how fast the fastest computer in the world is. Now imagine that same machine a billion times faster. Now imagine it being used as a prop on Tron. Puppy is incredible but doesn't have the felibility of most other offerings because it is made for old machines. You can run the live cd and spool the entire 120 mb o/s to memory. yes the entire machine runs out of memory. The speed is limited only by the relative conductivity of the chips in your ram.

I'm a big fan of Ubuntu and use some Ubuntu based distros for booting systems from CD (Backtrack, Raptor). You can also try openSUSE Linux distribution, it is supported by Novell. I believe it already comes with gPhoto. Not too familiar with digital photo software but a friend of mine is and he mentions GIMP and digiKAM.

Also, you can run some windows based software (CS2) on a Linux machine by using WINE.

You can check this website for Linux related distros, news, etc.

distrowatch(dot)com

Good Luck!

Keg - PM me your addy - I have a CD of a recent version of ubuntu that will boot from CD. I'll be glad to send you a copy. You can do whatever you need to do with it - install, run from CD then install this program, whatever.

PM sent, tia

reading this post is like reading Latin, I have no idea what anyone is talking about!! I like to come here and be humbled by all the knowledge of computers that otherws have that I never will. :wacko:

My kid has been running Linux since pre-pre-k. It not a big deal.