[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

SD Smoking Ban Challenged

Rebellab

No one should have to make a choice.

Smoking is a harmful. The act injects noxious fumes into the air, particles of which are inhaled by others. Smoking causes lung disease, circulatory disease and all other manner of maladies. It effects the health of people nearby that don't smoke. The fumes befoul everything they come into conctact with. Smoking drives up health care costs, and everyone pays for it. Many smokers treat the earth as an ashtray.

There's a reason that many smokers try and try again to quit smoking.

IMO smoking bans are an excellent use of a state's police powers. They undeniably promote the health, safety and welfare of the population at no real cost to the general public. Any negative effects on certain businesses in certain situations will diminish as people become accustomed and adapt to the bans.

Bans cause people to smoke less. Maybe they might even help people quit. The benefits of these bans so far outweigh the alleged infringement on "personal freedoms" that I don't think that there can be a legitimate debate against them.

The shame is that people were allowed to smoke in public places in the first place.

The youth of today will grow up with these restrictions. They will accept them without complaint. And the public will be better off for it. Some people may never pick up the habit because of it.

We have a winner.

No one should have to make a choice.

Smoking is a harmful. The act injects noxious fumes into the air, particles of which are inhaled by others. Smoking causes lung disease, circulatory disease and all other manner of maladies. It effects the health of people nearby that don't smoke. The fumes befoul everything they come into conctact with. Smoking drives up health care costs, and everyone pays for it. Many smokers treat the earth as an ashtray.

There's a reason that many smokers try and try again to quit smoking.

IMO smoking bans are an excellent use of a state's police powers. They undeniably promote the health, safety and welfare of the population at no real cost to the general public. Any negative effects on certain businesses in certain situations will diminish as people become accustomed and adapt to the bans.

Bans cause people to smoke less. Maybe they might even help people quit. The benefits of these bans so far outweigh the alleged infringement on "personal freedoms" that I don't think that there can be a legitimate debate against them.

The shame is that people were allowed to smoke in public places in the first place.

The youth of today will grow up with these restrictions. They will accept them without complaint. And the public will be better off for it. Some people may never pick up the habit because of it.

We have a winner.

Why stop there? Alchohol should be banned too. So should motorcycles, ATVs, chainsaws, guns, salt, sugar, fat, and maybe even the Huddle Forums. Where does it end?

Most of those involve you doing damage to yourself versus damages to others around you in addition to damage to yourself.

How many people are killed by impaired drivers or drunk hunters each year? My guess is that it is greater than those who die from second hand smoke in bars.

How many people are killed by impaired drivers or drunk hunters each year? My guess is that it is greater than those who die from second hand smoke in bars.

Tough comparison. I sure if we looked we could find numbers supporting both sides of this one.

I for one, support the thinning of the herd. If people aren't smart enough to know not to smoke by now, then by all means, let them have at it. Pen them up in their own little corrals where they can wash down each and every last drag off of every last cigarette, cigar and pipe with whatever they choose. We can have little smoke dispensers on each table for those that don't have the lung power left to draw their own breath and we can even serve them meat from cows and chickens that smoke.

People choice, not state choice.

Smoking can cause damage to others in a circle around you without their consent. The drunk driving comparison is very weak (and been used to death by smokers). Considering that drubk driving is illegal, are you then saying that smoking in public should also be illegal? So that actions that cause harm to others SHOULD be outlawed? :wacko:

You can also decide to whip out your schlong and spin in a circle spraying piss as far as you can in a crowded room, but I bet the people around you will have something to say about it. (and maybe that was a pic for MH that wasnt used? :tup: )

Why stop there?

Because none of the other things listed, in general, are as potentially harmful to other people not engaging in said activity. Look, I'm all for business owners having the choice based solely on principle. The Harry Potter and ATV comparisons are rather ridiculous.

Edited by bushwacked

Smoking can cause damage to others in a circle around you without their consent. The drunk driving comparison is very weak (and been used to death by smokers). Considering that drubk driving is illegal, are you then saying that smoking in public should also be illegal? So that actions that cause harm to others SHOULD be outlawed? :wacko:

You can also decide to whip out your schlong and spin in a circle spraying piss as far as you can in a crowded room, but I bet the people around you will have something to say about it. (and maybe that was a pic for MH that wasnt used? :tup: )

They consent by going into a private establishment where people are allowed, by said establsihment owner, to smoke.

Here's a thought for the children, don't bring them to smokey bars when they're 8 years old. Better yet, don't bring them to places where adults are doing adult things. F'ing momos.

Hey, I take care of my kids. Baby girl needs a little white russian in her formula before bed.

Why stop there? Alchohol should be banned too. So should motorcycles, ATVs, chainsaws, guns, salt, sugar, fat, and maybe even the Huddle Forums. Where does it end?

Most of those involve you doing damage to yourself versus damages to others around you in addition to damage to yourself.

Well how about cars and trucks, or coal burning electric plants. Lots of toxic emissions there. Better get rid of plastics too. They are polluting the Earth also.

IMHO it should come down to choice. Why shouldnt a business owner be able to decide if he/she wants a smoking or non smoking establishment? And then non smokers can ban a business if they so choose. Likewise a nonsmoker can do the same, without alienating an entire section of our communities.

Well how about cars and trucks, or coal burning electric plants. Lots of toxic emissions there. Better get rid of plastics too. They are polluting the Earth also.

Jeebus..because none of these things generally have the direct correlation exposure anywhere near damaging people like 2nd hand smoke does.

IMHO it should come down to choice. Why shouldnt a business owner be able to decide if he/she wants a smoking or non smoking establishment? And then non smokers can ban a business if they so choose. Likewise a nonsmoker can do the same, without alienating an entire section of our communities.

Exactly, stick with this point, it's a valid point, the first one sucks a big donkey logic dick.

Edited by bushwacked

Jeebus..because none of these things generally have the direct correlation exposure anywhere near damaging people like 2nd hand smoke does.

Exactly, stick with this point, it's a valid point, the first one sucks a big donkey logic dick.

Did you read the article Square posted.

I miss the good ole days when my Dad would drive me to the street corner with all the windows rolled up and the heat on full blast smoking 3 packs in 10 minutes. I would write "I love you, Dad" in the crud baked on the windows. Some days when he came to pick me up to see how much money I'd collected begging on the street corner for his beer money, he had forgotten to spit on the window to erase it. I know he loved me on those days. Now that everything is smoke-free, I'll never know that love again.

I miss the good ole days when my Dad would drive me to the street corner with all the windows rolled up and the heat on full blast smoking 3 packs in 10 minutes. I would write "I love you, Dad" in the crud baked on the windows. Some days when he came to pick me up to see how much money I'd collected begging on the street corner for his beer money, he had forgotten to spit on the window to erase it. I know he loved me on those days. Now that everything is smoke-free, I'll never know that love again.

that would be funny if not so true in so many cases.

True story my dad recounts to me. His father smoked unfiltered Chesterfields. When his dad would buy a pack from the vending machines, I believe they were $.13 per pack, there were two shiny new pennies in the pack as the vending machines would only take dimes and nickles. He would give dad these two pennies. The dash board of the '48 Dodge was speckled with tobacco cuttings as inevitably while smoking filterless cigarettes he would get tobacco in his mouth and spit these little grains out.

On trips to MI from NC the car was locked down tight and his dad would coast through three packs a day. On the route was a new bridge that had a toll booth to cover the costs of the bridge. His dad would bitch and moan at the booth attendant every time he went through there over the span of 8 or so years, "How can you not have paid for this goddamn bridge yet? You guys are stealing from all of us!!" The family was on the way up to Grand Rapids a few months after his father had died, the toll booth had been taken down.