[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Pressures mount to resume drilling

Perchoutofwater

I'm glad I gave you a chance to beat your chest and make yourself feel better about yourself than this evil conservative who you projected your beliefs on.

That kind of behavior displayed by Ursa is despicable and uncalled for.

If Bush were still in the White House I'm sure the left would be screaming Halliburton and price fixing.

Unless you lead off a thread the exact same way, then you should whine about other people doing it and not being taking seriously by everyone.

Edited by bushwacked

One of the many differences between conservatives and liberals is, IMO, that liberals care very much about their environment and the environment in general while conservatives would be happy to spend the rest of their lives in Hazmat suits wading through piles of sludge as long as they made a buck out of it.

the only thing that separates this kind of moronic reductionist thinking from a moneymakers post is good spelling and grammar.

Unless you lead off a thread the exact same way, then you should whine about other people doing it and not being taking seriously by everyone.

The difference is, I've never said the environment be damned, and yet you and Ursa were both screaming Haliburton and price fixing just a few short years ago when gas was actually cheaper than it is now. Your right though, in the future rather than being nice and saying the left, I'll just call you out by name.

Perch, I would hazard a guess , without any links at all, that the fishing industry in the gulf isn't doing as well as it was before the oil spill.

That would be my guess as well, though I've not seen anything on it.

Perch, ask and ye shall receive . . . and it looks like in the bolded part that a lot of other permits have already been approved in shallower water since it was lifted?

US approves first deep-water well in Gulf

US approves work on first deep-water well since spill in Gulf of Mexico

Chris Kahn, AP Energy Writer, On Monday February 28, 2011, 6:11 pm EST

NEW YORK (AP) -- The U.S. has approved the first deepwater drilling permit in the Gulf of Mexico since BP's massive oil spill.

The Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement announced Monday that it issued a permit to Noble Energy Inc. to continue work on its Santiago well about 70 miles southeast of Venice, La. Drilling will resume nearly one year after BP's blowout created the worst offshore spill in U.S. history.

Noble started drilling the well four days before the Deepwater Horizon oil rig exploded on April 20. The project was put on hold on June 12 after the U.S. placed a moratorium on exploration in waters deeper than 500 feet.

No new deepwater permits had been issued since the moratorium was lifted in October. Regulators have been under pressure from the oil industry and some lawmakers to get drilling projects started again in the Gulf while ensuring that new safeguards are in place. That pressure increased last week as the price of oil spiked above $100 per barrel and the price of gasoline hit its highest level in two and a half years.

Environmental groups want the government to hold off on permits and force oil companies to further study the effects of drilling on fragile marine habitats.

At 6,500 feet below the surface, Noble's well is deeper than BP's blown out Macondo well. In a worst-case scenario, the company told regulators its well could spill nearly 3 million gallons of oil per day into the Gulf. At its peak, the BP well spilled 2.6 million gallons per day.

Noble had drilled to a depth of 13,585 feet before the moratorium and has about 5,400 feet to go.

The permit is for a "bypass" well, which allows the driller to take a slightly different path than previously expected. Drilling is expected to recommence in April.

Director Michael Bromwich said that Noble demonstrated it is capable of containing a well blowout, a key requirement for permit approval. Noble contracted with the Helix Well Containment Group to use its emergency capping stack to stop the flow of oil in case it loses control of the well.

Another emergency containment solution, offered by a consortium led by Exxon Mobil Corp., was announced earlier this month.

"We expect further deepwater permits to be approved in coming weeks and months based on the same process that led to the approval of this permit," Bromwich said.

The U.S. has approved other permits for new wells, including 37 in shallow water, since the moratorium was lifted. It also has approved 22 other applications for activity on deepwater wells that were not suspended by the moratorium.

The approval comes as Interior Secretary Ken Salazar heads to the Capitol this week to defend his agency's budget request. He is expected to be pressed by lawmakers concerned with rising gasoline prices about how slowly new permits have been issued.

Sen. David Vitter, R-La., a vocal critic of the slowdown in offshore drilling permits, said Monday that "while one deepwater permit is a start, it is by no means reason to celebrate." Vitter wants 15 deepwater permits issued before he releases a hold on the nomination of President Obama's pick to head the Fish and Wildlife Service.

House Natural Resources Committee Chairman Doc Hastings, R-Wash., urged regulators to push other applications through quickly. Noble's project alone "will not ease the economic pain being inflicted on Gulf families."

Bromwich denied that politics played a role in the timing of the announcement. He said there are eight applications currently pending for deepwater wells.

The Obama administration is seeking a $12 million increase in the former Minerals Management Service budget to hire hundreds of new oil and gas inspectors, engineers, scientists to oversee industry operations; conduct detailed engineering reviews; and more closely review oil spill response plans. Much of the money would come from higher fees and royalty rates on oil and gas companies.

Associated Press Writer Dina Cappiello contributed to this story from Washington D.

Perch, ask and ye shall receive . . . and it looks like in the bolded part that a lot of other permits have already been approved in shallower water since it was lifted?

Well, it doesn't sound like they really issued a new permit, but rather allowed a company that previously had a permit and was forced to stop drilling, to drill again. Still, that is a start.

Well, it doesn't sound like they really issued a new permit, but rather allowed a company that previously had a permit and was forced to stop drilling, to drill again. Still, that is a start.

It is a good start, and the following seemed to be good new too, and proof that all the oil workers in the gulf arent unemployed.

The U.S. has approved other permits for new wells, including 37 in shallow water, since the moratorium was lifted. It also has approved 22 other applications for activity on deepwater wells that were not suspended by the moratorium

I'm getting ready to make my third trip to Venice, LA since the spill. I fished the high spot a mile north of Macondo last year about three days before the blowout and have fished that part of the gulf about fifty times since the mid -nineties.

First trip: May 2010, saw a lot of spill cleanup activity and ran into a few floating mats of crude in the open parts of the marsh east of southwest pass. I didn't see any dead critters floating around, but I saw a few million of BP's dollars getting wasted. This exercise was tantamount to Tyrone Biggum's 5 o'clock free crack giveaway. Tons of unqualified people getting paid lots of money to do..................... something or nothing. Not bagging on the relief effort, just the massive overreaction.

Second trip: Oct 2010, had to work pretty hard to find productive stretches of the gulf that were outside of the federally-mandated closures. Fished way off to the west (in the eastern Green Canyon and southwestern parts of the Mississippi Canyon areas). Saw NOTHING offshore or in the marsh that indicated there had been a spill. Found excellent fishing. Also travelled for a hundred or so linear miles through various parts of the marsh north of Port Eads and saw one small patch of oil-stained reeds. The redfish were hungry and didn't seem to mind.

I think people vastly underestimate to ocean's ability to cleanse itself. What remains to be answered, are the amount and toxicity of crude on the ocean floor, and the longterm impact on the the lower levels of the food chain. I would be more worried about the dispersants that the crude.