[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota will take a QB

tazinib1

To me, the most interesting aspect of the Vikings drafting Ponder where they did was the cascade of events which followed.

Detroit was allowed to get its guy. Detroit has now, apparently, what the Vikings have had previously in the 'Williams Wall'. They have the best pair of tackles in football. If any team can appreciate the potential impact of this it ought to be the Vikings. The Vikings could have prevented this by taking Fairly, and with the Williams' aging, and subject to suspension, they would have filled an area of need as well as having taken the BPA.

Next, that one pick may also have been the one that allowed Carimi to slide to the Bears and Sherrod to slide to the Packers. Both of those teams got the BPA, at areas of need, which need increased due to Detroits pick.

By picking Ponder where they did they made each of their division opponents stronger. That will be fine if he pans out, oh, and if he lives through his games agianst Detroit. Rodgers and Cutler, both vets who know the speed and danger of the NFL pocket, got help. Ponder, well it looks like he is going to be thrown to the wolves behind an offensive line that has some questions.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To me, the most interesting aspect of the Vikings drafting Ponder where they did was the cascade of events which followed.

Detroit was allowed to get its guy. Detroit has now, apparently, what the Vikings have had previously in the 'Williams Wall'. They have the best pair of tackles in football. If any team can appreciate the potential impact of this it ought to be the Vikings. The Vikings could have prevented this by taking Fairly, and with the Williams' aging, and subject to suspension, they would have filled an area of need as well as having taken the BPA.

Next, that one pick may also have been the one that allowed Carimi to slide to the Bears and Sherrod to slide to the Packers. Both of those teams got the BPA, at areas of need, which need increased due to Detroits pick.

By picking Ponder where they did they made each of their division opponents stronger. That will be fine if he pans out, oh, and if he lives through his games agianst Detroit. Rodgers and Cutler, both vets who know the speed and danger of the NFL pocket, got help. Ponder, well it looks like he is going to be thrown to the wolves behind an offensive line that has some questions.

Spot on. :wacko:

I like that we ended up with Ponder, but not at the pick that we got him with.

This is something I never understood. How many times have we all been in a fantasy draft, passed a guy we LOVED in round three because his ADP was too low only to watch the guy drafting the pick before us in round 4 take him? This whole "value" concept makes no sense to me. It's not like all the NFL guys get together and give their rankings on each player so we can truly know what a guy's "value" is and even if we did we'd be stunned at the different rankings - just like we are at other owners' rankings in our fantasy leagues.

Who here doesn't have a story about some guy taking some wacky as hell first round pick? Not an idiot pick, just a radical difference of opinion. Last season I had Jeremy Maclin ranked the #7 WR on my list and drafted him #12 (long swing). I got laughed at and mocked - "I had him 44!" "His ADP was 31!" He finished 10th in our format.

The bottom line is you have no idea where someone else will draft your guy. If you love him, get him. If you're wrong it doesn't matter if you were slick and moved back a few slots to take him, you still drafted a donkey in the first round. If you're right and get the next great QB no one is going to be critical of the fact you didn't sneak in an extra 4th rounder.

This was talked about a lot on Sirius last night and I think it as Ross Tucker that was countering a caller that made this exact point with "Yeah, and what about Washington sitting there at 15? They were a threat to take Ponder, so Min at 12 didn't want to risk moving behind them".

Edited by flemingd