[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota will take a QB

tazinib1

I have no doubt that the Vikings will be selecting a QB in this years draft. The 2 QB's that Viking staff have visited are: Cam Newton and ..... drum roll please: Christian Ponder. Oh baby!! I will be an automatic Viking follower if indeed they select Ponder in the 1st. It will be interesting to see if Ponder is one of the 30 prospects each NFL team is allowed to invite to team facilities. As much as I disagree, I don't think Newton will be there when the Vikings are up. I just hope they remember they are on the clock this year.

I'm not gonna to pretend to be a Vikings homer so I would love some of you to chime in on what your team needs are other than QB and if you would like the Ponder selection.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no doubt that the Vikings will be selecting a QB in this years draft. The 2 QB's that Viking staff have visited are: Cam Newton and ..... drum roll please: Christian Ponder. Oh baby!! I will be an automatic Viking follower if indeed they select Ponder in the 1st. It will be interesting to see if Ponder is one of the 30 prospects each NFL team is allowed to invite to team facilities. As much as I disagree, I don't think Newton will be there when the Vikings are up. I just hope they remember they are on the clock this year.

I'm not gonna to pretend to be a Vikings homer so I would love some of you to chime in on what your team needs are other than QB and if you would like the Ponder selection.

I think it's time you changed your nuthugger sig line.

D-Line - Seems like they have a tradition of spending early picks on DE/DT, and a lot of them haven't exactly panned out. With Pat Williams and Ray Edwards likely leaving, they'll need to address this area yet again.

Secondary - Lots of options at CB, in particular, that are OK, but none of them really stand out as potential shutdown guys. Safety could also use some help.

QB - Pretty obvious.

O-Line - Assuming they do draft a QB at some point, it's never a bad idea to improve the pieces that will protect that QB in the future.

They could really use that 3rd that they threw away for the headcase, Randy Moss. :tup: They do have multiple picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, though, so it will be a year of hoping those picks turn into something of value, either by packaging picks to trade up, or simply using the "quantity over quality" approach. :wacko:

D-Line - Seems like they have a tradition of spending early picks on DE/DT, and a lot of them haven't exactly panned out. With Pat Williams and Ray Edwards likely leaving, they'll need to address this area yet again.

Secondary - Lots of options at CB, in particular, that are OK, but none of them really stand out as potential shutdown guys. Safety could also use some help.

QB - Pretty obvious.

O-Line - Assuming they do draft a QB at some point, it's never a bad idea to improve the pieces that will protect that QB in the future.

They could really use that 3rd that they threw away for the headcase, Randy Moss. :tup: They do have multiple picks in the 5th, 6th, and 7th rounds, though, so it will be a year of hoping those picks turn into something of value, either by packaging picks to trade up, or simply using the "quantity over quality" approach. :wacko:

I'm not a big fan of this draft (the weakest in years IMO) expect a very select few WR's/RB's and obviously Ponder/Special K. However, there is a LOAD of talent at DE/DT and OL this year. One could get a very solid player in the later rounds at those positions.

I'm not a big fan of this draft (the weakest in years IMO) expect a very select few WR's/RB's and obviously Ponder/Special K. However, there is a LOAD of talent at DE/DT and OL this year. One could get a very solid player in the later rounds at those positions.

You could be right. My rolling of the eyes icon was not so much pointed at the quantity over quality approach (or the fact that MIN has several late picks), but rather the Vikings' front office in general. They have had some definite debacle moments in past drafts, so I always watch with a skeptical eye. Of course, they've also made some nice picks as well (Peterson, Harvin, etc.), but people (myself included) tend to remember/emphasize the swing-and-miss moments more than the hits.

Here is my guess. The 12th pick is a little too high to take, well just about any of the QB's in this year's class. And since the Vikings threw away their 3rd round pick for Randy Moss, they have even less options in terms of trading up this year. So, I believe the Vikings will try to trade down, then they'll take a QB later in the 1st round and hopefully gain another day 2 pick that they could use on one of the many needs that they have to try to fill.

How about saving a draft pick and sending some guys to Hattisburg to talk Favre out of retirement?

:wacko:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

Wait, Favre back to the Vikes for another year?

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

SSSSS!!!

I was really hoping that at least 1 Viking thread would last without Favre being brought up :lol:

:tup:

What was I thinking

yeah, sorry 'bout that. Thing is, we tried to warn the Vikings fans what would happen but they wouldn't believe anything we said - thinking he was going to save the franchise, was the 2nd coming of Football Jesus, calling us haters, etc...

So now not only do you have the whole Favre fiasco hanging over you, you've given Packers fans YEARS of ammunition. This is the end result - Guys like me never letting them hear the end of it.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving franchise. I love it. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

yeah, sorry 'bout that. Thing is, we tried to warn the Vikings fans what would happen but they wouldn't believe anything we said - thinking he was going to save the franchise, was the 2nd coming of Football Jesus, calling us haters, etc...

So now not only do you have the whole Favre fiasco hanging over you, you've given Packers fans YEARS of ammunition. This is the end result - Guys like me never letting them hear the end of it.

Couldn't have happened to a more deserving franchise. I love it. :wacko:

Some Vikings fans never wanted him here in the first place and certainly didnt want him back. Some Vikings fans saw the fiasco and circus that follows and wanted no part. I seem to recall one Viking fan calling the whole thing "a wild swing for the fences." Let me see if I can find...oh, yeah. Here it is...

This is a desperate organization taking a wild swing for the fences. Likely to end up whiffing IMO :tup:

I would like the record to show that Delicous_bass has not wriggled nor squirmed on this issue. Been against the Favre signing from the start and continue to believe the Vikings will live to regret it. Check my previous posts on the subject if you want to verify...

I had developed a respect for Favre as a player over the years. That respect has now been trumped by what an absolute b!tch he's been off the field and how he's handled himself lately. Disgraceful!

This season is going to be tough for the Viking's fans like me who didnt want to see the team stoop to the level of signing Favre. I always want to see the Vikings win, and now this year I will feel like I need to shower/disinfect afterward if Favre has any hand in helping the team win.

Edited by Delicious_bass

I read somewhere that the Vikes could trade down from 12 to 17 with the Pats and get their own 3rd round pick back they lost to rent Moss for a couple games. The values of the picks work out that way anyways. Trade down 5 spots and get the QB they want and get that pick back? Might not be a bad idea.

From what we hear locally, the Vikings are the team that is most seriously looking at Jake Locker, followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Locker has gone to Minnesota already and their reps have come to town at least twice, for his pro day and another informal workout and sit-down.

From what we hear locally, the Vikings are the team that is most seriously looking at Jake Locker, followed by the Jacksonville Jaguars. Locker has gone to Minnesota already and their reps have come to town at least twice, for his pro day and another informal workout and sit-down.

I must have missed the official Locker visit. Link?

Cam Newton will NOT be the Vikings pick...

I think drafting Cam and having him fail, as he will, will only set that organization back another decade. Ponder is their answer but the Broncos are showing interest in Ponder, I think in efforts to move down in the draft. It's sad really, I already bought my Tebow jersey. I should know better. Me buying a player jersey only means they will not be with that team :wacko:

I think drafting Cam and having him fail, as he will, will only set that organization back another decade. Ponder is their answer but the Broncos are showing interest in Ponder, I think in efforts to move down in the draft. It's sad really, I already bought my Tebow jersey. I should know better. Me buying a player jersey only means they will not be with that team :wacko:

Ponder is a bad fit for MIN. They need a QB who can stretch the field vertically and that is one of Ponder's weaknesses.

Square peg/Round hole