[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Minnesota will take a QB

tazinib1

I think the problem (if it is one) is twofold:

There are a very few god-like QBs that are HoF locks, they are so good.

The NFL has biased the game in favor of offense in general and passing in particular, so, given that emphasis, the dearth of god-like QBs has been more sharply exposed.

Even if he is already deep in his cups this morning, UM knows stuff.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last I heard, MN was a WCO and it didn't sound like Musgrave was going to shake that up TOO much.

From Rotoworld:

The Vikings are expected to move away from the West Coast offense under new offensive coordinator Bill Musgrave, according to Tom Pelissero of ESPN 1500 Twin Cities.

Adam Caplan of Fox Sports expressed a similar sentiment in a Thursday chat. Musgrave noted at his introductory press conference that he would keep elements of the WCO intact, but he's expected to mimic Mike Mularkey's Atlanta offense, incorporating more of a deep passing game to complement a strong ground attack. Kevin Kolb won't be a good fit in Minnesota because he's more of a system QB in need of the West Coast scheme. Apr 15, 8:44 AM

• 2 weeks later...
I have no doubt that the Vikings will be selecting a QB in this years draft. The 2 QB's that Viking staff have visited are: Cam Newton and ..... drum roll please: Christian Ponder. Oh baby!! I will be an automatic Viking follower if indeed they select Ponder in the 1st. It will be interesting to see if Ponder is one of the 30 prospects each NFL team is allowed to invite to team facilities. As much as I disagree, I don't think Newton will be there when the Vikings are up. I just hope they remember they are on the clock this year.

I'm not gonna to pretend to be a Vikings homer so I would love some of you to chime in on what your team needs are other than QB and if you would like the Ponder selection.

Welcome to the Vikings bandwagon Taz. :wacko:

I love the Ponder pick and his skillset on this team. I think Harven is going to be a monster catching balls in the middle of the field. I think we'll Peterson catching a lot more balls as well

I like that we ended up with Ponder, but not at the pick that we got him with.

I like that we ended up with Ponder, but not at the pick that we got him with.

agreed. However I think it was fairly obvious they were trying to trade down and didn't get any takers. So if they thought Ponder was their qb of the future and the guy they wanted...given the fact 3 qbs had already been taken, they probably didn't think he would last until 2.12. Sometimes you gotta get your guy when you can.

agreed. However I think it was fairly obvious they were trying to trade down and didn't get any takers. So if they thought Ponder was their qb of the future and the guy they wanted...given the fact 3 qbs had already been taken, they probably didn't think he would last until 2.12. Sometimes you gotta get your guy when you can.

I read somewhere that the Dolphins were set to take him at 1.15, so maybe 1.12 isn't that much of a reach.

All Hail to Taz for the right on prediction.

I am ok with them draftng Ponder where they did if that is the guy they wanted. It does seem that they were not able to trade down like they wanted and Ponder would not have lasted into the second round.

I like them going after a QB rather then the years and years of retreads and aging vets. Will it work who knows?

Yeah I understand that that can happen. Again, I'm not really upset because I like Ponder, but I distrust the judgment of the Vikings on draft day, and this "felt like" panic when it happened.

From what I've heard, Washington was very interested in Ponder with Jacksonville's pick at 16 so trading down with NE (17), SD (18), or Philly (23) wouldn't have worked. I like the pick; it was earlier than his draft board value might have suggested, but this team needs to swing for the fences with a franchise QB. With a typical minicamp/training camp while the lockout is lifted, there's no reason Ponder can't be the Week 1 starter.

2V

From what I've heard, Washington was very interested in Ponder with Jacksonville's pick at 16 so trading down with NE (17), SD (18), or Philly (23) wouldn't have worked. I like the pick; it was earlier than his draft board value might have suggested, but this team needs to swing for the fences with a franchise QB. With a typical minicamp/training camp while the lockout is lifted, there's no reason Ponder can't be the Week 1 starter.

2V

Do you think they should have traded up two spots with Washington to get Gabbert instead of reaching for Ponder at 12?

So the Vikings have Christian Ponder and Joe Webb... I wonder if they have any plans to also draft either Dalton, Mallett, Kaepernick, or Stanzi as well. They would probably get skewered if they did, but it might not be a bad strategy to load up since a rookie QB is such a high risk anyway.

So the Vikings have Christian Ponder and Joe Webb... I wonder if they have any plans to also draft either Dalton, Mallett, Kaepernick, or Stanzi as well. They would probably get skewered if they did, but it might not be a bad strategy to load up since a rookie QB is such a high risk anyway.

Isn't that what GB does when they are buidling? When they drafted Rogers to replace Favre, they drafted like three QB's didn't they?

whatever happened to Brohm?

Cun in his second year and went to Buffalo as a backup - bust.

The Packers had only Favre and Rodgers from 2005-07, then when Favre had a retirement announcement in 2008, the Packers had no depth at QB, then drafted Brohm in the 2nd and Flynn in the 7th.

Do you think they should have traded up two spots with Washington to get Gabbert instead of reaching for Ponder at 12?

Probably could have got it done if they had the third they traded to New England for Moss; a fourth wasn't quite enough and a second would have been too much. Obviously hindsight will tell, but if the Vikings put that second round pick to good use (Hudson, Wisniewski, Brendan Harris or Rahim Moore all spring to mind) they'll fill two needs instead of just the one.

I know I was imploring the Redskins logo on the TV to change while they were on the clock, but Spielman must have Gabbert and Ponder rated close enough to believe that giving up another valuable pick--a guy who will quite likely come in and start this year--wasn't enough to make the move.

2V

Maybe if they still had their 3rd rounder that would be a better option. But give up a 2nd and already don't have a 3rd to move up a few spots is a tough choice to make.

I heard that Brett Favre might return to the Vikings this year. He's going to take this new guy under his wing. Brett was quoted as saying that he really loved the time he had with Aaron Rodgers and loved teaching him the ropes. Instead of learning the weekly game plans, he spent more time with Aaron so he would know how to play when it was his time to play. That's what I'm here for really, to help Aaron when he needs the help.

Now Brett is on to a new project. He's temporarily placed his cell phone texting on the back burner and has found bigger and better things to Ponder. Well not really, Brett says, but Ponder is bigger and better in other areas and has a different skill level as, for instance, Jenn Sterger. Plus I'm not getting any negative vibes at home with the new project. It keeps me busy in a different way.

So look for this story to develop over the spring and summer. Has Brett un-retired? Did he ever retire and therefore doesn't even need to un-retire? Is he flying out of Mississippi and why isn't anyone down there 24/7 to find out? Is he calling Ed Werder or is Ed just full of BS? Who will drive him to the Vikings facililty now that Brad Childress isn't around anymore?

Stay tuned.

Again.

I heard that Brett Favre might return to the Vikings this year. He's going to take this new guy under his wing. Brett was quoted as saying that he really loved the time he had with Aaron Rodgers and loved teaching him the ropes. Instead of learning the weekly game plans, he spent more time with Aaron so he would know how to play when it was his time to play. That's what I'm here for really, to help Aaron when he needs the help.

Now Brett is on to a new project. He's temporarily placed his cell phone texting on the back burner and has found bigger and better things to Ponder. Well not really, Brett says, but Ponder is bigger and better in other areas and has a different skill level as, for instance, Jenn Sterger. Plus I'm not getting any negative vibes at home with the new project. It keeps me busy in a different way.

So look for this story to develop over the spring and summer. Has Brett un-retired? Did he ever retire and therefore doesn't even need to un-retire? Is he flying out of Mississippi and why isn't anyone down there 24/7 to find out? Is he calling Ed Werder or is Ed just full of BS? Who will drive him to the Vikings facililty now that Brad Childress isn't around anymore?

Stay tuned.

Again.

sarchasm :wacko: