[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Faucet Repair Help

SheikYerbuti

The cold side on my bathtub faucet doesn't stop turning. To get the water to stop flowing, I have to turn it until the water stops (which it does, this isn't an issue of a leak), but it doesn't come to a mechanical stop the way the hot side does. Is this a DIY type of fix, or do I need to call in a pro?

TIA.

Ugghhh, this is going to be hard to explain. This is what I did on my one-piece shower faucet when it happened. Drove her crazy for a week. I guess it works the same. You have little "tabs" that fit into the housing that creates the mechanical stop.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donnaohl/2488...157603940232052

I found this picture to help. You see the little plastic tab on the white part above the gasket and how it fits into the notch on the faucet assembly? That creates the stop. If that slips out, then it'll spin. The water will start and stop as you spin the handle but it'll just spin forever. Easy fix. Just remove it and seat it back into place. If the tab has broken, you may have to buy another one.

Edited by TimC

If that slips out, then it'll spin. The water will start and stop as you spin the handle but it'll just spin forever. Easy fix. Just remove it and seat it back into place.

Just coming here to tell BJ to delete the thread. . .that was exactly the problem. It took zero tools and about 30 seconds to fix. Hardest part was finding the water shutoff valve in the closet. . .

Just coming here to tell BJ to delete the thread. . .that was exactly the problem. It took zero tools and about 30 seconds to fix. Hardest part was finding the water shutoff valve in the closet. . .

Shame on you. You didn't let her suffer for a week? I had to hear about that danged faucet every waking moment for almost a week.

I've had the same problem with mine, but it's a Kohler and has a plastic ring inside the handle that broke rather than what Tim linked to. I've tried Lowe's, Home depot & a local plumbing store & nobody has the stupid part. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

I've had the same problem with mine, but it's a Kohler and has a plastic ring inside the handle that broke rather than what Tim linked to. I've tried Lowe's, Home depot & a local plumbing store & nobody has the stupid part. :tup:

If you're rich enough to afford Kohler, then you can buy the whole assembly again. :wacko:

If you're rich enough to afford Kohler, then you can buy the whole assembly again. :wacko:

Not sure what you consider expensive, but Lowe's has Kohler Bath Faucets ranging from $18 to over $1600. Believe me, mine was in the lower range. :tup:

Not sure what you consider expensive, but Lowe's has Kohler Bath Faucets ranging from $18 to over $1600. Believe me, mine was in the lower range. :wacko:

Look, ever since the Aints won the Super Bowl, you guys think you are better than everyone else. I understand. But I can't help with your fancy Kohler products that don't have our cheap ghetto tabs like the rest of us poor people have to endure.

Shame on you. You didn't let her suffer for a week? I had to hear about that danged faucet every waking moment for almost a week.

We'd been living with it like that for about 3 years and didn't really care at all. But we just sold our house and the buyer's inspector made an issue of it. I think I'll tell him that I brought in a plumber and had it fixed at a cost of $500 out of my pocket just to F with him.

I've had the same problem with mine, but it's a Kohler and has a plastic ring inside the handle that broke rather than what Tim linked to. I've tried Lowe's, Home depot & a local plumbing store & nobody has the stupid part. :wacko:

Kohler is a quality product IMO. Whenever I have to repair one of their faucets I usually have to a plumbing supply house. I have gotten lucky and gotten some handles at a True Value Center.

Look, ever since the Aints won the Super Bowl, you guys think you are better than everyone else. I understand. But I can't help with your fancy Kohler products that don't have our cheap ghetto tabs like the rest of us poor people have to endure.

Nah, just you Northerners. :wacko:

Kohler is a quality product IMO. Whenever I have to repair one of their faucets I usually have to a plumbing supply house. I have gotten lucky and gotten some handles at a True Value Center.

Yeah, I just haven't had the time to go looking or just didn't think about it when I did. It's one of those "creaky board" deals. It bugs the crap outta you every time you step on it, but you immediately forget about it 2 seconds later. :tup: