[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The Dolphins Draft

Duchess Jack

Not much to talk about at this point.

As I mentioned in a prior post, I was hoping Miami to trade down and land Kaepernick and Taiwan Jones.

Didn't happen, but I kind of like the pick. We haven't had a real center since Ruddy. Pouncey is a guy you can build around.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I didn't want to give up on Henne and I kind of feel like the team watched tape and saw just how rushed Henne was in the second half of the season. Hopefully with Pouncey and a new OC we'll see some changes.

Whatever the case, I love our oline this year. It was strong two years ago. We added Incognito and Jerry, but for whatever reason we did not gel (injuries and such). I still see Oline as a strength. Jake Long, Vernon Carey, Richie Incognito, John Jerry, Ray Feinga, Lydon Murtha, Pat McQuistan, Matt Kopa, Allen Barbre, Joe Berger, Cory Procter, Nate Garner. Adding Pouncey gives me wood.

Hopefully we walk out of the third with a WR and walk out of FA with DeAngelo Williams.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Not much to talk about at this point.

As I mentioned in a prior post, I was hoping Miami to trade down and land Kaepernick and Taiwan Jones.

Didn't happen, but I kind of like the pick. We haven't had a real center since Ruddy. Pouncey is a guy you can build around.

The more I think about it, the more I like it. I didn't want to give up on Henne and I kind of feel like the team watched tape and saw just how rushed Henne was in the second half of the season. Hopefully with Pouncey and a new OC we'll see some changed.

Whatever the case, I love our oline this year. It was strong two years ago. We added Incognito and Jerry, but for whatever reason we did gel (injuries and such). I still see Oline as a strength. Jake Long, Vernon Carey, Richie Incognito, John Jerry, Ray Feinga, Lydon Murtha, Pat McQuistan, Matt Kopa, Allen Barbre, Joe Berger, Cory Procter, Nate Garner. Adding Pouncey gives me wood.

Hopefully we walk out of the third with a WR and walk out of FA with DeAngelo Williams.

He is Maurkice Pouncey's twin. Maurkice may have been the best 1st round pick the Steelers have had in 20+ years. To come in and be All-Pro caliber at Center is unheard of. How different can his twin, who was drafted a few spots higher be ? I think you got a winner.

I'm not happy, at all, with what they gave up to move into the 2nd round and draft a relatively unknown RB.

Daniel Thomas = relatively unknown? To whom? There is college football outside of Florida. Be prepared to eat your words, happily for you.

Thomas has over a 5yrd per carry over past two seasons.Rushed for almost 1600 yards on 298 carrys and scored 19 times.No slouch at catching the ball out of the backfield either.Of course he didn't play the same caliber teams he would of had to if he played in the SEC but overall I think that was a great pick for the Fins.I think its going to be a great situation for Thomas and anyone who grabs him in their rookie drafts.

Daniel Thomas = relatively unknown? To whom? There is college football outside of Florida. Be prepared to eat your words, happily for you.

You think so? I don't watch college ball, so I don't really know what to make of the pick. What bugs me most is that Taiwan Jones is still on the board. Is he that much of an upgrade over Jones? Different kind of backs, sure, but from what I read of Thomas, he doesn't have one quality that stands out as special beyond, perhaps, his character (and who even knows about that)

No SHAM WOW! there's college outside of Florida. Personally, I haven't heard a thing about him at all leading up to the draft. Before yesterday, as far as I was aware, he wasn't even mentioned as being on the Dolphins' radar. I can count on one hand the amount of times I've ever heard of this guy. All that = relatively unknown. By saying relatively unknown, I'm merely stating that he wasn't a big name and certainly not someone many people who follow the Dolphins expected them to pick.

Edited by injendsm

Personally, I haven't heard a thing about him at all leading up to the draft. Before yesterday, as far as I was aware, he wasn't even mentioned as being on the Dolphins' radar

from Armando's blog on the Herald.

April 14, 2011

Must never forget the RBs on Miami's radar

Enough about quarterbacks. We don't need no stinkin' quarterback!

(I jest.)

Yes, the Dolphins continue to be eyebrow deep in Ryan Mallet's visit, but they are also trying to address issues with their running back situation. Remember that Ronnie Brown, Patrick Cobbs and Ricky Williams are unsigned for 2011.

So the club today is also visiting with Kansas State's Daniel Thomas. He will be in town through Friday. Next week the club will be hosting a meet with Eastern Washington's Taiwan Jones, who is highly intriguing to me.

Thomas, a middle round candidate, looks the part of a Miami running back. He is 6-foot and 230 pounds. He isn't necessarily fast, having been timed in the 4.5 range. But he's something of a riddle on this one because he didn't run at the Indianapolis Combine and didn't the Senior Bowl due to a hamstring injury.

Thomas gained 1,585 yards on 298 carries in 2010.

He is by all accounts a great kid. Quiet. Son of a preacher. Team leader. That was very important to the Dolphins last year.

Jones, who is 5-11 and 195 pounds, is interesting based on his sheer speed and freakish hops. He had his pro day on Thursday and was timed in the 4.29 to 4.35 range, depending on which account you read and which scout is leaking the information. He also had a reported 41-inch vertical leap. There were 27 teams at his event.

Jones is not necessarily a full-time back. Teams think of him as a Chris Johnson type. If he produces like Chris Johnson, he'll be a stud. But I digress.

Jones comes with red flags. He has durability issues. He is coming off a broken foot that prevented him from participating in the Indianapolis Combine running drills. In fact, he was in a boot until a month ago. He had surgery on a sports hernia in 2009 that prevented him from participating in Spring practice last year. He also had a hand and shoulder injuries in 2009.

Oh, and he had a broken leg early in 2008.

Yeah, I know, it sounds like a disaster.

I didn't say he's a first overall pick.

I said he intrigues. He rushed for 1,742 last season and scored 14 TDs. He shared the Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the Year award.

As you know the Dolphins need speed on offense. They need a home run hitter. Jones has scored on a 93-yard kickoff return and an 87-yard run from scrimmage.

I like him. A lot.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in.../#ixzz1L32Prn4M

Check out the back story on the DB they just drafted from Montana

Jailed for over 2 years for something that a jury eventually found him not guilty of. Apparently was visiting his grandma and got a call from another family member who was being beaten by her boyfriend. Went over to the house, dude pulled out a gun. There was a struggle, the BF ends up getting shot. Kid gets accused of murder. Sits in jail for about a year. Hung jury 11-1 in favor of not-guilty so goes to trial again, then found not guilty. NCAA grants another year of football...

from Armando's blog on the Herald.

April 14, 2011

Must never forget the RBs on Miami's radar

Enough about quarterbacks. We don't need no stinkin' quarterback!

(I jest.)

Yes, the Dolphins continue to be eyebrow deep in Ryan Mallet's visit, but they are also trying to address issues with their running back situation. Remember that Ronnie Brown, Patrick Cobbs and Ricky Williams are unsigned for 2011.

So the club today is also visiting with Kansas State's Daniel Thomas. He will be in town through Friday. Next week the club will be hosting a meet with Eastern Washington's Taiwan Jones, who is highly intriguing to me.

Thomas, a middle round candidate, looks the part of a Miami running back. He is 6-foot and 230 pounds. He isn't necessarily fast, having been timed in the 4.5 range. But he's something of a riddle on this one because he didn't run at the Indianapolis Combine and didn't the Senior Bowl due to a hamstring injury.

Thomas gained 1,585 yards on 298 carries in 2010.

He is by all accounts a great kid. Quiet. Son of a preacher. Team leader. That was very important to the Dolphins last year.

Jones, who is 5-11 and 195 pounds, is interesting based on his sheer speed and freakish hops. He had his pro day on Thursday and was timed in the 4.29 to 4.35 range, depending on which account you read and which scout is leaking the information. He also had a reported 41-inch vertical leap. There were 27 teams at his event.

Jones is not necessarily a full-time back. Teams think of him as a Chris Johnson type. If he produces like Chris Johnson, he'll be a stud. But I digress.

Jones comes with red flags. He has durability issues. He is coming off a broken foot that prevented him from participating in the Indianapolis Combine running drills. In fact, he was in a boot until a month ago. He had surgery on a sports hernia in 2009 that prevented him from participating in Spring practice last year. He also had a hand and shoulder injuries in 2009.

Oh, and he had a broken leg early in 2008.

Yeah, I know, it sounds like a disaster.

I didn't say he's a first overall pick.

I said he intrigues. He rushed for 1,742 last season and scored 14 TDs. He shared the Big Sky Conference Offensive Player of the Year award.

As you know the Dolphins need speed on offense. They need a home run hitter. Jones has scored on a 93-yard kickoff return and an 87-yard run from scrimmage.

I like him. A lot.

Read more: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/dolphins_in.../#ixzz1L32Prn4M

Good read. The kid is definitely intriguing but it just feels like they overpaid. Hopefully he proves that thought wrong whenever the season rolls around.

Good read. The kid is definitely intriguing but it just feels like they overpaid. Hopefully he proves that thought wrong whenever the season rolls around.

the more I check him out, the happier I am...

2009: 1265 yds (5.1 average) 11 TDs 25 catches (10.3 average)

2010: 1585 yds (5.3 average) 19 TDs 27 catches (6.3 average)

and he was scouted as a QB. I also like what was said above, that he got these numbers despite being keyed in on.

He is fluid, instinctive and durable - things that are hard to teach.

the biggest knock I hear on him is that he lacks breakaway speed (a negative, but managable) and that he might play too high, carry the ball too loosely, could get better in pass protection and perhaps show too much patience at times - all of which are fixable.

The biggest question marks I find are that on one hand he is believed to be a humble, quiet, high character kid (son of a preacher) but that he is also something like 25 because he was found acedemically inelligable for a couple years and that he just had no interest in acedemics. Again, this could prove to be somewhat of a non-issue, because some people are just simple people, but it does stand out as a small concern.

Edited by Duchess Jack

Hard to believe that you have to convince a fan of the team that they just drafted a great RB from a BCS conference school...

Sorry I can't recall hearing much about the guy before he was drafted. I'm not going to love every pick the Dolphins make just because I'm a fan and Kansas State games aren't exactly shown too often in SWFL so it's not like there's much opportunity for me to have even seen the kid play outside of youtube videos. At any rate, I'm not going to be convinced he's a great RB till I see it on the field.

Sorry I can't recall hearing much about the guy before he was drafted. I'm not going to love every pick the Dolphins make just because I'm a fan and Kansas State games aren't exactly shown too often in SWFL so it's not like there's much opportunity for me to have even seen the kid play outside of youtube videos. At any rate, I'm not going to be convinced he's a great RB till I see it on the field.

Com'on... You have Brown.. An epileptic having constant seizures is an improvement.

I think the Dolphins had a fantastic draft. What we needed to to was sure up the offensive line. You cant expect Henne to succeed when he has no time to throw.

We now have 3 1st rounders on the Dolphin line.

Henne is not a bad QB just an inexperienced one. He showed flashes last year throwing for 350 plus yards.