[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mallet to NE

BeeR

I never said Fitzpatrick is the answer at QB. I said that he's the least of there worries. What good does Mallett do you when you can use that third to invest it in a player that can help you now, all while allowing Fitz to be more than servicable, and drafting a QB in the next draft. And it doesn't matter if Mallett has huge upside or not if his line and supporting cast is crap.

Luck, Barkley, and the kid out of Arizona could all potentially be better prospects than the 2011 class. Everyone in this class is either a prospect or a character concern. Luck/Barkley aren't.

And I think the Cards believe in Skelton long term. I think they also believe that Bulger is good enough for them to compete for the West crown. After that it's a crapshoot in the playoffs. Remember, everyone thought Warner was done when he signed in Arizona.

Good post. It's pretty obvious that some people here get football, and some... not so much.

Looks like John Clayton agrees with me. From his column, "Day 2 Winners, Losers"

Losers

1. Arkansas quarterback Ryan Mallett: It's bad enough for a first-round talent with an incredible arm to drop to Round 3 because of his off-the-field question marks, but he landed with the New England Patriots, a team dominated by Tom Brady. If Mallett would enter the witness protection program he would be more visible than he will be for the next four years. As a third-rounder, Mallett eventually will get a four-year contract, the same length as Brady's deal. Brady won't concede playing time, so Mallett will be lucky if he gets a cameo in one or two regular-season games. For the Patriots, it's a fine move. What's to lose? Mallett will get good coaching and maybe some team will see him in the preseason and decide to offer a high draft choice package to get him. You never know. Mallett thought he had convinced teams that he could be the quarterback of their franchise. They didn't buy his sales pitch. Welcome to the abyss.

2. New England Patriots: The Patriots entered the draft with six picks in the first three rounds, but they made a few moves too many. They have a plan every year to load up on first- and second-round picks for the future, but this was the year to cash in. My one criticism is that they didn't get a pass-rusher. Had they drafted Jabaal Sheard, a defensive end from Pitt, or Brooks Reed, a linebacker from Arizona, I'd make them my big winners. They added three Pro Bowl defenders in the first three rounds of the four drafts previous to this, but this year they needed a pass-rusher. According to ESPN Stats & Information, opposing quarterbacks had a 103.2 passer rating when the Pats sent five or more pass-rushers. That's third worst in the league. They added a nice tackle in Nate Solder. Ras-I Dowling is an intriguing corner. Shane Vereen and Stevan Ridley are role-playing running backs. Mallett is a bargaining chip for the future. But they didn't get that pass-rusher. Instead, they worked deals that allowed the Saints to get a pass-rusher, Cameron Jordan, and running back Mark Ingram. They let the Jets get maybe the next Trevor Pryce in Muhammad Wilkerson. Sure, the Pats got an extra first- and second-round picks next year, but they need to take care of current business.

from espn.com

Mallett going to Arizona/Bills would be a bad idea due to his immaturity. Immature QBs thrust into a starters role too early are destined for failure (Ryan Leaf).

mallett is talented, and the best possible situation for him was the Patriots for long term success. That locker room can keep him grounded and develop, and best case scenario is that he goes crazy the next few preseasons and the Pats trade him for another 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Pats get Brady insurance in case of injury (like Matt Cassell), Mallett gets to grow up a little, and the pats have a barganing chip for the future. In a QB starved league lately, how valuable is a guy of Mallets physcal skills that gets to develop under a great coaching staff? While not an immediate sexy pick for teh patriots, it is a good long term project for them, and worth the value of a 3rd round pick, IMO.

Mallett going to Arizona/Bills would be a bad idea due to his immaturity. Immature QBs thrust into a starters role too early are destined for failure (Ryan Leaf).

mallett is talented, and the best possible situation for him was the Patriots for long term success. That locker room can keep him grounded and develop, and best case scenario is that he goes crazy the next few preseasons and the Pats trade him for another 1st or 2nd round pick.

The Pats get Brady insurance in case of injury (like Matt Cassell), Mallett gets to grow up a little, and the pats have a barganing chip for the future. In a QB starved league lately, how valuable is a guy of Mallets physcal skills that gets to develop under a great coaching staff? While not an immediate sexy pick for teh patriots, it is a good long term project for them, and worth the value of a 3rd round pick, IMO.

+1 It's gr8 for Mallett's mental development. This kid has all the athletic tools to succeed. Sitting behind Brady and watching can only help him. Had Matt Cassel not been drafted by the Patriots, then he might not be a starter right now as a result. If Mallett develops, say like Aaron Rodgers did, then I could see the Patriots strongly have to wrestle whether to resign Brady in 2014. If Joe Montana and Brett Favre can be traded, then so can Brady. It's just such a looong wait for fantasy purposes.

Edited by electricrelish