[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

I hate this time of year

SeductiveNun

Allergy season is killing me right now. I'm sitting here in the office sneezing, coughing, sniffling, my eyes feel like they've been rubbed with sandpaper, it's all very exhilarating. All I need now is to begin farting uncontrollably and I can have my own orchestra section. :tup:

I'm running out of over the counter medications to try as well. Claratin has been spotty in it's effectiveness. Zyrtec is pretty much worthless for me. I take benadryl at night which does work well, but if I take it during the day I'll be :wacko: at my desk. I'm thinking of picking up some Allegra and see if that works any better.

It's times like this I really miss winter.

It's times like that I am glad that I moved from the clean allergen filled air of Sonoma County down to the smog filled area of Southern California. I used to be on prescription Allegra and Claritin (we'd switch it up every so often to keep my body from adapting too much) from February through October.

Ever since moving, no issues.

I am miserable. My seasonal allergies are the worst they've ever been. Claritin does nothing. I tried Zyrtec, but I don't think that works, either. I haven't tried to "D" versions (Claritin-D, etc) because I don't want to be wired. Biggest issue is sleep -- my sinuses close and I can't breathe at night. I have to wake up and walk around to try to clear my sinuses. It's absolutely miserable. Cold medicine has helped a little. Biggest help has been Afrin, the nasal spray, but they recommend against taking it every night, so I usually do every other night. The nights I have to skip it are the worst. Haven't tried a humidifier, but that might be next. Can't wait for this to end.

I've used the Claritin D before as well. It didn't seem to be much of a decongestant as it claimed.

Have you ever tried Benadryl before going to bed? It still works wonders for me. It's about the the only thing that does though.

I am miserable. My seasonal allergies are the worst they've ever been. Claritin does nothing. I tried Zyrtec, but I don't think that works, either. I haven't tried to "D" versions (Claritin-D, etc) because I don't want to be wired. Biggest issue is sleep -- my sinuses close and I can't breathe at night. I have to wake up and walk around to try to clear my sinuses. It's absolutely miserable. Cold medicine has helped a little. Biggest help has been Afrin, the nasal spray, but they recommend against taking it every night, so I usually do every other night. The nights I have to skip it are the worst. Haven't tried a humidifier, but that might be next. Can't wait for this to end.

Get a nelipot sinus rinse. Works wonders on cleaning out the sinuses. I've had 3-4 sinus infections in the least 2 years, and this does wonders to clear them out. Not a permanent fix, but to help you sleep,breathe etc., a great short term fix until the gunk has time to build back up. For me, I found doing a rinse followed by the afrin nasal spray helped keep things clear the longest.

I've used the Claritin D before as well. It didn't seem to be much of a decongestant as it claimed.

Have you ever tried Benadryl before going to bed? It still works wonders for me. It's about the the only thing that does though.

Haven't tried Benadryl in a while. I'll get some today.

Get a nelipot sinus rinse. Works wonders on cleaning out the sinuses. I've had 3-4 sinus infections in the least 2 years, and this does wonders to clear them out. Not a permanent fix, but to help you sleep,breathe etc., a great short term fix until the gunk has time to build back up. For me, I found doing a rinse followed by the afrin nasal spray helped keep things clear the longest.

My sister has used the neti pot. I haven't tried it yet. She said that despite the 3-4 seconds of feeling like you're drowning, it works for her. I'm saving it as a last resort.

My sister has used the neti pot. I haven't tried it yet. She said that despite the 3-4 seconds of feeling like you're drowning, it works for her. I'm saving it as a last resort.

My wife had a sinus infection a while back and there wasn't any medication that really gave her relief. She finally broke down and used the neti pot and it worked great. She was finally able to sleep at night and not wake up with a coughing fit either.

Allergy season is killing me right now. I'm sitting here in the office sneezing, coughing, sniffling, my eyes feel like they've been rubbed with sandpaper, it's all very exhilarating. All I need now is to begin farting uncontrollably and I can have my own orchestra section. :tup:

I'm running out of over the counter medications to try as well. Claratin has been spotty in it's effectiveness. Zyrtec is pretty much worthless for me. I take benadryl at night which does work well, but if I take it during the day I'll be :wacko: at my desk. I'm thinking of picking up some Allegra and see if that works any better.

I'm going through the exact same thing. :lol:

:wacko: I think she is doing it wrong if she feels like she is drowning.

That's sick.

Warm temps, longer days, low humidity, few insects, and summer all in front of us. This time of year blows the others away. :wacko: Then again I don't have allergies.....

And if I ever see cold temps, short days, or snow ever again it'll be too soon.

Just finishing up my three weeks of sinus hell. My first day without Claritin. I should be good for the rest of the year now. :wacko:

OK, so I got a neti pot at the store today. Watched a couple demos on youtube. Copied what I saw. On the demos, they pour the water in one nostril and it easily flows out the other nostril. When I tried it, I had a few drips come out the other side, but that was it. Am I doing it wrong? Or are my sinuses just that bad?

You're right, BC, doesn't feel like drowning. It's kind of like when you're swimming and water goes up your nose -- which isn't a great feeling, either, but not that bad.

OK, so I got a neti pot at the store today. Watched a couple demos on youtube. Copied what I saw. On the demos, they pour the water in one nostril and it easily flows out the other nostril. When I tried it, I had a few drips come out the other side, but that was it. Am I doing it wrong? Or are my sinuses just that bad?

You're right, BC, doesn't feel like drowning. It's kind of like when you're swimming and water goes up your nose -- which isn't a great feeling, either, but not that bad.

i think you need to grab your junk while you are doing it?

Maybe instead of water you should be using Liquid Plumber.

I'm having the typical allergy BS this time of year. The new and super annoying thing is that I have stuff draining at night and I wake up early AM with a cough. So between my 3 year old daughter being sick recently and my 3.5 month old son not sleeping through the night (usually gets up twice) I get to cough in bed and keep myself and the wife awake a little extra (you know, just for fun).

I don't use the neti pot thing that looks like a teapot, I have the squeeze bottle netipot product. Fill it with the water and solution, lean forward over sink, tilt head slightly back, put nozzle on one nostril and squeeze the bottle. If you are clogged, wath a ton of green jumk flow out the other side. Tilt head to side that water came out, blow nose lightly. Do the same process on the opposite nostril. Enjoy the feel of being able to breathe.

I don't use the neti pot thing that looks like a teapot, I have the squeeze bottle netipot product. Fill it with the water and solution, lean forward over sink, tilt head slightly back, put nozzle on one nostril and squeeze the bottle. If you are clogged, wath a ton of green jumk flow out the other side. Tilt head to side that water came out, blow nose lightly. Do the same process on the opposite nostril. Enjoy the feel of being able to breathe.

This is how Mrs HR does her neti pot. I would rather be waterboarded. But then, I don't have allergies.

This.

mine have been mild so far this year, knock on wood.

for me, claritin and allegra work best, zyrtec a distant third. funny how that's different for everyone. I don't know if you're supposed to or not, but on bad days I would often combo a couple of them and it seemed to give more relief than just one drug. benadryl is always the nighttime and/or nuclear option -- you know it will work, but :wacko: