[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A Rebuilt Soviet Era Arcade in Moscow

Pope Flick

We really weren't all that different (you know TimC wants that turkey ride seen halfway down the page), until you get to this:

Finally, I'll end with the most utilitarian soda machine ever.

"Газированная вода" (gazirovannaya voda) translates to "sparkling water." Though not exactly a game, these used to be a common sight on the streets of Moscow. There are three options: one Kopek for plain soda water and two 3-Kopec options for flavored soda.

In the top photo you can see the slot in the middle of the machine where the soda was dispensed. Each machine would have a glass (an actual glass glass) that would be used by everyone. The soda came out of the left side. On the right side, there was a small bit of water that could be used to "rinse" the glass. Alexander said that, when he was a child, his parents had forbidden him from ever drinking from the machines— which was probably sound advice.

Wow. Just wow. :wacko:

I will hump the hell out of that turkey. :wacko:

We had a Dave & Busters open up across town a couple of years ago, but had never made it there until a few months ago for a get together of some old High School friends. They had a Defender game there (well, it was an old retro machine that played all the old games with Defender as a choice). I used to be the king of Defender in '81-'83 or so. I could walk into any place with one and put up the high score and hardly ever lose a ship at all. Sooooo, Tina wanted me to play this thing. I was apprehensive because I hadn't touched one in 20 years probably. The controls on this one was a little flaky since it wasn't a dedicated Defender machine. If you remember Defender, the controls were super-advanced compared to most games of the time. I put in my D&B card loaded up with $10. I don't even know how much it cost.

This game was fast. Super fast. Or I was just slow. I got killed on the first screen which never happens. I made it to almost the end of the second screen on the second game. By the third game, my reflexes were returning and I could remember synaptic brain waves that I hadn't experienced in a long while. After the 6th game, I had the high score again. :tup:

I swear I could get a Defender game for my gameroom and never be seen again. :lol:

I will hump the hell out of that turkey. :wacko:

We had a Dave & Busters open up across town a couple of years ago, but had never made it there until a few months ago for a get together of some old High School friends. They had a Defender game there (well, it was an old retro machine that played all the old games with Defender as a choice). I used to be the king of Defender in '81-'83 or so. I could walk into any place with one and put up the high score and hardly ever lose a ship at all. Sooooo, Tina wanted me to play this thing. I was apprehensive because I hadn't touched one in 20 years probably. The controls on this one was a little flaky since it wasn't a dedicated Defender machine. If you remember Defender, the controls were super-advanced compared to most games of the time. I put in my D&B card loaded up with $10. I don't even know how much it cost.

This game was fast. Super fast. Or I was just slow. I got killed on the first screen which never happens. I made it to almost the end of the second screen on the second game. By the third game, my reflexes were returning and I could remember synaptic brain waves that I hadn't experienced in a long while. After the 6th game, I had the high score again. :tup:

I swear I could get a Defender game for my gameroom and never be seen again. :lol:

Is that the one where you had dudes on the ground and the aliens would come along and grab them, pulling them up to the top of the screen and you had to shoot the aliens before they got them up there? That, the game wasn't over once all your people got pulled up but just got super hairy?

Is that the one where you had dudes on the ground and the aliens would come along and grab them, pulling them up to the top of the screen and you had to shoot the aliens before they got them up there? That, the game wasn't over once all your people got pulled up but just got super hairy?

The game was absolutely brutal. It would tear your heart out and show no mercy. Just a tough, hard game...but was great.

The game was absolutely brutal. It would tear your heart out and show no mercy. Just a tough, hard game...but was great.

That's the one. I remember the real "rebels" would go through and kill all the dudes at the bottom right off the bat just to send it into freakout mode.

I remember playing that football game with the roller ball and x's and o's... that roller ball always pinched my hand. Some of my favorite times were going to the arcade with my older brother and his friends (dont knock over the spitter). I really miss those times and they are gone forever :wacko: