[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

1.66 Square Feet Per Person

SEC=UGA

That is roughly how much space they had on this journey...

Mexico City (CNN) -- Mexican authorities said they found and detained more than 500 illegal immigrants from Central America and Asia who were crammed inside two tractor-trailers heading toward the United States on Tuesday.

X-ray equipment detected the immigrants at checkpoints in the southern state of Chiapas, the state attorney general's office said. The drivers of both trucks sped away after authorities ordered them to stop, but police apprehended them nearby.

Inside the tractor-trailers, they found 513 people from El Salvador, Ecuador, China, Japan, Guatemala, India, Nepal, Honduras and the Dominican Republic.

Each of them had paid $7,000 to travel to the United States, the attorney general said.

They had been traveling in "inhumane conditions," Mexico's National Migration Institute said.

Officials said the group was receiving food, shelter and medical assistance while Mexican federal immigration authorities reached out to consulates and embassies to arrange their return to their home countries.

The southern border state of Chiapas, which borders Guatemala, is a major crossing point for Central American immigrants heading north.

In 2010, Mexican authorities apprehended about 25,000 illegal immigrants there, according to statistics from Mexico's National Migration Institute.

The drug cartels are big into human trafficking. I read an article yesterday that half their money comes from non-drug sources like this and pirating software, movies and music.

The drug cartels are big into human trafficking. I read an article yesterday that half their money comes from non-drug sources like this and pirating software, movies and music.

Which causes other drug cartels to murder their rivals' "consignments".

That's a lot of money to lose on a failed attempt to get here. I sincerely feel bad for a lot of them, but there are reasons that we have a legal procedure for entering this country.

I wish that the U.S. was half as tough on illegal immigration as Mexico is.

That's a lot of money to lose on a failed attempt to get here. I sincerely feel bad for a lot of them, but there are reasons that we have a legal procedure for entering this country.

and I wish we were a lot more lenient on granting legal immigration. to my mind, "comprehensive immigration reform" should be about making it a lot harder to get in illegally and a lot easier to get in legally.

and I wish we were a lot more lenient on granting legal immigration. to my mind, "comprehensive immigration reform" should be about making it a lot harder to get in illegally and a lot easier to get in legally.

I'm not sure what the current limit is on how many people can come in legally each year, or how long that process takes. And I would be totally fine with adjusting those standards if they are found to be unreasonable or outdated, etc. But I'm not fine with ignoring the law, or rewarding the people who break our immigration laws while other people patiently follow our legal process.

Kinda ironic when you take into account how loud Mexico shouts about our policies.

Completely agree. Solves multiple problems and reduces costs at the same time.

513 X $7000 = More than enough to pay for fuel.

:wacko:

If they were smart, they would have gotten together, chartered a jet and just landed it on the highway in San Fran.