[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

In Wisconsin News Today

Yukon Cornelius

I will stop harping on this under two conditions....

1. Teachers stop whining that they are underpaid and work hours over and above what they are supposed to. The whole point is we all do!!! I have worked every weekend for an hour because we have weekly numbers due into Europe that is required to be in by morning on Monday Switzerland time. Part of my job so I do it.

2. You or Borge or Yukon or Ground Chuck come up with another solution to get Wisconsin out of the mess we are in where it does not make teachers upset and does not raise our already high taxes.

Gbfan . . do you realise by saying that they get all this "vacation", that teachers respond with "here is all the OTHER stuff we do outside of school hours". It isnt whining. It is stating what they HAVE tow ork (just like you and I above and beyond) when the unwashed think that they just show up at first bell and bail at the end of the day. It is providing information to the scope of their hours actually worked versus the "perception" that they only work 30 some hours and get 3 months off in the summer.

Providing information as to what hours they actually do put in is very different than "whining".

I never stated that this doesnt have be done fiscally. I was stating that they have a legitimate complaint, versus others that seem to think they should just bend over and take it. :wacko: But since you asked :tup: I would start with having a funding cut across all public service departmnets, starting with a % cut that the individual agencies have to come up with in the next oh . . 45 days instead of just focusing on teachers. If they problem is STATEWIDE, then obviously statewide solutions are required. That is where Walker gets partisan versus being even handed. teachers are the focus, instead of looking at the problem as a STATEWIDE entity. Hell, I think all public employees have [ensions, so have them ALL contribute more. Spread the pain out instead of looking at one specific area.

• Replies 291
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

BP, you could cut all of the state reps salaries and the Salary of the Gov to $0 and not have near the same balancing effect as requiring larger contributions to pensions and HC from teachers. YOu could do the same to Principals and administrators and be met with the same negligible impact. Should they do something as a token offering, most likely, yes and that should have been handled.

Yes, I am perpetuating a stereotype, one that exists for a reason. You are correct in one respect, not every teacher in WI was out in the streets protesting, but I don't recall one story of a teacher admonishing his fellow teachers for their deplorable grandstanding.

No, everytime there is a shortage teachers should not be the scape goat. BUT, when their is clear and ample evidence that it is a certain group that is causing a drain on the budget and the funds set aside will be unable to fulfill past obligations if the same course is navigated, then it is incumbent upon those in charge to right the course. Should the police and firefighters have been included in this, absolutely. Should state workers in other sectors have been included, most certainly. But, at this point, it was the teachers retirement and healthcare that appeared to be most out of whack and it is the first to be dealt with.

With regard to mob vote, I think I have gone on record here a number of times about how voting rights should be curtailed. I wouldn't do it through mob vote, I would amend these things through legislative action.

BP, you could cut all of the state reps salaries and the Salary of the Gov to $0 and not have near the same balancing effect as requiring larger contributions to pensions and HC from teachers. YOu could do the same to Principals and administrators and be met with the same negligible impact. Should they do something as a token offering, most likely, yes and that should have been handled.

Yes, I am perpetuating a stereotype, one that exists for a reason. You are correct in one respect, not every teacher in WI was out in the streets protesting, but I don't recall one story of a teacher admonishing his fellow teachers for their deplorable grandstanding.

No, everytime there is a shortage teachers should not be the scape goat. BUT, when their is clear and ample evidence that it is a certain group that is causing a drain on the budget and the funds set aside will be unable to fulfill past obligations if the same course is navigated, then it is incumbent upon those in charge to right the course. Should the police and firefighters have been included in this, absolutely. Should state workers in other sectors have been included, most certainly. But, at this point, it was the teachers retirement and healthcare that appeared to be most out of whack and it is the first to be dealt with.

With regard to mob vote, I think I have gone on record here a number of times about how voting rights should be curtailed. I wouldn't do it through mob vote, I would amend these things through legislative action.

All I have said from the beginning of this mess was that it should have been ACROSS THE BOARD. Targeting teachers looks partisan and nitpicky. If the pain is spread out and you gave departmnets a % they had to reduce costs by . . . be it headcount, expenses, etc, you balance the budget without looking like a partisan hack. Obviously teachers pensions have to be addressed, and I never said otherwise. If the problem truly is all about the money, then spread it out and make it a state-wide concern. When you make it only about teachers, then guess what? Teachers are gonna get pissed! What a surprise! :wacko:

It really isnt any different than on a federal level. We need cuts and more revenue to deal with the deficit long term. That should be across ALL areas. Saying that "you cant touch medicare" or "you cant touch military spending" is blinding yourself to the overall problems and efficiencies that could be achieved by cutting out fat in all layers of all gubmnet services. All areas need to cut back and feel the pain in order to get our fiscal house in order.

Well said and agre with everything you said.

The funny part is a while back when we were all talking federal curt BP was saying we should not look at the small things - those are too small and won't make a dent but hey now when it suits his partisan topic he is all for cutting back Walker by 5-10k yea that will help. BP you constantly mention Walker being partisan but maybe look in the mirror?? I am sure you are a good guy but you can't keep harping on partisan when you are also very partisan. Be consistent like me - see I still think way too may welfare people smoke/drink and play WII. :wacko:

BP - I also agree with what you say - I am for all public employees having cuts and paying into the pension - I don't like what Walker did by not including Police and fireman - if you are going to make cuts to public employees then cut them ALL. I also think Walker should take a pay cut and so should most superintendents and principals - not because it will make a dent - more because it is the right thing to do.

All I have said from the beginning of this mess was that it should have been ACROSS THE BOARD. Targeting teachers looks partisan and nitpicky. If the pain is spread out and you gave departmnets a % they had to reduce costs by . . . be it headcount, expenses, etc, you balance the budget without looking like a partisan hack. Obviously teachers pensions have to be addressed, and I never said otherwise. If the problem truly is all about the money, then spread it out and make it a state-wide concern. When you make it only about teachers, then guess what? Teachers are gonna get pissed! What a surprise! :wacko:

It really isnt any different than on a federal level. We need cuts and more revenue to deal with the deficit long term. That should be across ALL areas. Saying that "you cant touch medicare" or "you cant touch military spending" is blinding yourself to the overall problems and efficiencies that could be achieved by cutting out fat in all layers of all gubmnet services. All areas need to cut back and feel the pain in order to get our fiscal house in order.

The issue people have with teachers is that they are not saying what you said above. I am ok with all the teachers saying "hey we understand we need to take some cuts but they shuld be across the board" - that is not happening - they are saying that they are underpaid and constantly bring up how many hours outside of the school day they work and that they are concerned about the kids etc.

Looks at Chuck's post he brought up the hours again - I am not sure they even realize that all the other people are saying "hey we all do that why are you still bringing that up"

The issue people have with teachers is that they are not saying what you said above. I am ok with all the teachers saying "hey we understand we need to take some cuts but they shuld be across the board" - that is not happening - they are saying that they are underpaid and constantly bring up how many hours outside of the school day they work and that they are concerned about the kids etc.

Looks at Chuck's post he brought up the hours again - I am not sure they even realize that all the other people are saying "hey we all do that why are you still bringing that up"

1.) Becasue the teachers AGREED to the fiscal changes, right? Cmon man, you cant be as dense as tossberg to not understand that. The union agreed to all those fiscal changes. I think they objected to being singled out, and rightly so. I think they object to the asinine blather from people that think because they pay taxes that they should get to vote on what every teacher "should" make according to their very limited knowledge of what they actually do.

2.) -sigh- Check brings that up because people harp on red herrings like "look at the all the time off they have! They only work 30 hours a week!". Chuck is providing firsthand knowledge and information to combat the talking points about how lazy teachers are. You REALLY dont know the difference? :wacko:

Well said and agre with everything you said.

The funny part is a while back when we were all talking federal curt BP was saying we should not look at the small things - those are too small and won't make a dent but hey now when it suits his partisan topic he is all for cutting back Walker by 5-10k yea that will help. BP you constantly mention Walker being partisan but maybe look in the mirror?? I am sure you are a good guy but you can't keep harping on partisan when you are also very partisan. Be consistent like me - see I still think way too may welfare people smoke/drink and play WII. :rofl:

BP - I also agree with what you say - I am for all public employees having cuts and paying into the pension - I don't like what Walker did by not including Police and fireman - if you are going to make cuts to public employees then cut them ALL. I also think Walker should take a pay cut and so should most superintendents and principals - not because it will make a dent - more because it is the right thing to do.

See . . this is why I had you on ignore before. I said that on a federal level the partisan (and they WERE very partisan) cuts would not amount to a piss in the ocean compared to the big issues that HAVE to be addressed in order for the DEFICIT to be reduced. Not on a yearly budget, but the DEFICIT. Which means Medicare, Medicaid, social security and defense. If I was partisan, would I be advocating a cut in entitlements?

You are very consistent, just like Zeke. :tup: When you have a statewide deficit, I advocate a STATEWIDE reduction, departmnet by departmnet. You just want to go after those greedy ol teachers. :lol: On a FEDERAL level I want to address and reform/cut the areas that are 90% of the problem. You want to cut food stamps. :wacko: I have consistently said that you have to go at the shortfalls across the board. I guess that is a "partisan" viewpoint in your eyes. I would think that looking at every single deprtament is the OPPOSITE of being partisan, as no pet projects or sacred cows would be exempt.

Would you find another job if you were to have to work 40 hours a week for 48 weeks out of the year and make the same pay? Afterall, that is what people with similar levels of education are making. They don't get the same benefits as you with regard to pension and healthcare, they pay that extra $450 a month to support those things.

Say you did work 40 hours a week for 48 weeks per year, I think that would add 470 hours to your work load. How is that you could not use this extra 470 hours, 12 weeks, to help those who need more attention?

WI is going to afford it by not increasing your salary. The decision now rests with you as to whether you are willing to do the job you currently have or try to find another job in the private sector that will pay you comparable dollars.

I apologize if I took your post out of context and mischaracterized you and your intentions.

First question. Yes, that being said, we clearly disagree about what people with master's degrees in different fields make.

Second question. Can't answer that question. If kids were in school year round I would still have to complete all of those outside-of-school duties on top of teaching, so in reality I would be working much more than the 40 hours/week 48 weeks out of the school year.

No one likes losing income. I have accepted my fate this year but I am very concerned about 2012 and beyond. I guess you can add one more passenger to a very crowded boat of all types of people with the same concerns.

Edited by Ground Chuck

How would I fix it?

#1 Stop throwing money at urban districts in the hope that cash will magically fix what ills them. Cash is not going to get the 30% that is habitually truant in school. MPS spends like $14,000 per student each year while my district spends less than half that.

#2 I would take a hard look at the cost of health insurance. This single cost is one of the main reasons why budgets have spiraled out of control. There was a story in the paper just the other day about a woman who was charged $1800 for having a tick removed. In 1995 I was laid up a night in the hospital and when I looked at the bill I was charged $40 for cotton balls and like $50 for six Advil. Talk about waste. I certainly am not apposed to changing carriers so long as the coverage will cover my family when we need it. The cost of health care needs to be examined.

Edited by Ground Chuck

Maybe riot and insurrection is all that is left. :tup:

We tried that once... While it was one of the most glorious moments in our heritage, it really didn't work out so well. :wacko:

If they'd just leave the stupid hats and bongo drums outta their freaking riots, dammit, I might actually not get so pissed off. And, why do they always give the fat, ugly chick the bull horn? Why can't they just turn it over to someone who is cute and doesn't have a screeching voice that could break glass...

See . . this is why I had you on ignore before. I said that on a federal level the partisan (and they WERE very partisan) cuts would not amount to a piss in the ocean compared to the big issues that HAVE to be addressed in order for the DEFICIT to be reduced. Not on a yearly budget, but the DEFICIT. Which means Medicare, Medicaid, social security and defense. If I was partisan, would I be advocating a cut in entitlements?

You are very consistent, just like Zeke. :tup: When you have a statewide deficit, I advocate a STATEWIDE reduction, departmnet by departmnet. You just want to go after those greedy ol teachers. :lol: On a FEDERAL level I want to address and reform/cut the areas that are 90% of the problem. You want to cut food stamps. :wacko: I have consistently said that you have to go at the shortfalls across the board. I guess that is a "partisan" viewpoint in your eyes. I would think that looking at every single deprtament is the OPPOSITE of being partisan, as no pet projects or sacred cows would be exempt.

Go ahead with the ignore thing - I never really did understand the whole ignore thing? I thought this was just a message board where adults discussed topics. The whole ignore thing seems pretty childish but I assume we disagree on that too????

Go ahead with the ignore thing - I never really did understand the whole ignore thing? I thought this was just a message board where adults discussed topics. The whole ignore thing seems pretty childish but I assume we disagree on that too????

Did BP just threaten you with ignore? Hilarious. What a pretentious prick. :tup:

Guess you just better play nice and agree with him. :wacko:

Edited by tosberg34

When children act like children . . . you ignore them. :wacko:

I have said from the start that looking at deficits should be widespread throughout every level (like looking at all state agencies) and specifically addressing the biggest areas that are the vast vast vast majority of the deficit (mediare/medicaid, defense, social security) That is about as non-partisan as it gets, as it will effect EVERYONES pet projects across the board. You are trying to misrepresent that.

Besides . . . I am sure they will all want to move to the most fked up state in the Union . . . Illinois.

Teacher salaries

Below is a chart of the top 10 paid teachers in Illinois.[9] Over 14,000 teachers in Illinois make over $100,000 a year.[10] :lol::rofl:

See the top 100 salaries

Salary Subject Name School

$191,124 Physical Ed William Mitz Adlai E Stevenson High School

$189,219 English (9-12) James Liesz East Leyden High School

$187,278 Physical Ed Steven Heuerman Niles West High School

$184,449 Physical Ed Paul Parpet Addison Trail High School

$179,253 Graphic Design Archibald Loch Adlai E Stevenson High School

$177,263 Guidance Counselor David Bene Highland Park High School

$174,656 French Carolyn Dunoon East Leyden High School

$172,164 Physics Michael Wietlispach Hoffman Estates High School

171,595 Drama Susan Rothchild Lake Park High School

There is also a chart comparing teacher salaries to those of university professors:[11]

Subject Illinois High Schools Univ. of Illinois Main Campus

English $189,219 $163,000

French $173,000 $150,000

Physics $172,100 $240,000

Math $169,700 $185,000

Theater $167,500 $102,000

Political Science $166,410 $191,000

Music $165,400 $136,000

Some Illinois public school teachers are pulling down more than $100,000 annually. Township High School District 113 boasted the highest average teacher pay in the state last school year, at $104,737. Fifty-five percent of all District 113 full-time teachers pulled down at least $100,000 in total compensation, including benefits and extra pay for extracurricular activities. [12]

According to the Sun Times analysis of teachers' salaries, District 113 is the exception rather than the rule. Statewide, 11.25 percent of high school teachers and 2.26 percent of elementary-grade teachers hit that mark. Statewide, the average elementary teacher made $61,140 — including all benefits, summer school pay, after-school stipends and retirement payouts. The average high school teacher took home $69,366. [13]

The Chicago Sun-Times analysis was based on information entered annually by districts into a database and collected by the Illinois State Board of Education. The Sun-Times counted only full-time employees who worked at least nine months last school year in districts that gave state achievement tests and served kids in at least one grade, kindergarten through 12th. Averages could be affected by pre-retirement extra-pay bumps, end-of-career vacation or sick-day payments, hefty payouts for extracurricular duties or generous health care benefits. [14]

[edit] Benefits

[edit] Paid Days Off

Holidays Employees of the State of Illinois receive 12 paid vacation days in 2010[15]:

•New Years Day

•Martin Luther King, Jr. Day

•Lincoln's Birthday

•President's Day

•Memorial Day

•Independence Day

•Labor Day

•Columbus Day

•Election Day

•Veteran’s Day

•Thanksgiving Day

•Christmas Day

Vacation Leave

[edit] Insurance

Health Eligible employees choose to enroll in either an HMO or Open Access Plan.[16] Health insurance includes prescription and behavioral health coverage [16] Dental Insurance Employees may opt for dental insurance.[16]

[edit] Retirement

Main article: Illinois public pensions

The state legislature passed bills to scale back pension benefits expected to save $100 billion over several decades, according to legislators [17], who passed the bill in one day in March, 2010.[18] Gov. Pat Quinn signed the bill into law on April 13, 2010.[18] Gov. Quinn estimated the state could reduce the amount of money owed in the new budget year by $400 million. The law addresses retirement costs for a wide variety of public employees, including teachers, lawmakers, and many public servants throughout state government, universities, cities, counties and park districts.[18] Highlights include:

•increasing the general retirement age to 67 from 62 or lower in many cases

•new employees will have to work at least 10 years and wait until 67, though a smaller benefit will be available for those who choose to start taking pension checks at age 62

limit the salary level on which pension benefits are based to no more than $106,800 a year :wacko::tup:

•prohibits new public employees from getting a pension from one government job while collecting a salary from another.

as far as I know, the wisconsin bill does not single out teachers. it does single out (by exclusion) "public safety" workers, i.e. police and firemen. teachers and all other state employees not in those "public safety" fields are impacted by the law. I agree with you that excluding the police and firemen was kind of gutless, and reeks of unequal treatment. the teachers themselves are the ones who have made it "only about teachers"....I guess because after police and firemen, they as a group pull the next most sympathetic polling numbers. :tup:

as far as I know, the wisconsin bill does not single out teachers. it does single out (by exclusion) "public safety" workers, i.e. police and firemen. teachers and all other state employees not in those "public safety" fields are impacted by the law. I agree with you that excluding the police and firemen was kind of gutless, and reeks of unequal treatment. the teachers themselves are the ones who have made it "only about teachers"....I guess because after police and firemen, they as a group pull the next most sympathetic polling numbers. :wacko:

I am of the opinion that with a huge deficit you look across thr board for savings. Not just public employee unions (although that is a big part of it) and not just teachers (although that is a big part of it). You look at adminstrators, you look at the "public safety" professions, you look at DNR, you look at every single departmnet you have, and give each of them a % they HAVE to cut to balance the budget. That very well means that the teachers union still gets gutted, but you at least TRY and be even handed about it across the board. :tup:

I am of the opinion that with a huge deficit you look across thr board for savings. Not just public employee unions (although that is a big part of it) and not just teachers (although that is a big part of it). You look at adminstrators, you look at the "public safety" professions, you look at DNR, you look at every single departmnet you have, and give each of them a % they HAVE to cut to balance the budget. That very well means that the teachers union still gets gutted, but you at least TRY and be even handed about it across the board. :wacko:

Agree with you 100% - do you know if administrators were cut? Do you know if DNR was cut? It is my understanding there are two parts - one are the actions WI has taken to change collective bargaining and the other is the actual budget. Believe it or not the first part was supposed to be put in place to handle the the outcome of the second part. For example the budget came out and cut the budget for Kaukauna. Kaukauna is supposed to now have the tools to take action to overcome those cuts without layoffs is possible. Do you think that if the unions still had all the power that Kaukauna would have been able to do what they did? My opinion is no - look at MPS for example.

Now I am writing this e-mail before looking into it but I am guessing and hoping that in the budget there cuts across the board. Will there be cuts or no raises for administrators? I hope so - Did the DNR have cuts? I hope so. Do you know these answers? I am not trying to be cocky I am just asking and will try to look but wanted to respond. I sure hope those areas have cuts in the budget. The issue is that with the administrators you don't have to deal with the unions.

Maybe I am way off on this???

as far as I know, the wisconsin bill does not single out teachers. it does single out (by exclusion) "public safety" workers, i.e. police and firemen. teachers and all other state employees not in those "public safety" fields are impacted by the law. I agree with you that excluding the police and firemen was kind of gutless, and reeks of unequal treatment. the teachers themselves are the ones who have made it "only about teachers"....I guess because after police and firemen, they as a group pull the next most sympathetic polling numbers. :wacko:

I still think Police and Fire are gonna' get theirs soon. So in the end it all works out. Divide and conquer is the best strategy.

Agree with you 100% - do you know if administrators were cut? Do you know if DNR was cut? It is my understanding there are two parts - one are the actions WI has taken to change collective bargaining and the other is the actual budget. Believe it or not the first part was supposed to be put in place to handle the the outcome of the second part. For example the budget came out and cut the budget for Kaukauna. Kaukauna is supposed to now have the tools to take action to overcome those cuts without layoffs is possible. Do you think that if the unions still had all the power that Kaukauna would have been able to do what they did? My opinion is no - look at MPS for example.

Now I am writing this e-mail before looking into it but I am guessing and hoping that in the budget there cuts across the board. Will there be cuts or no raises for administrators? I hope so - Did the DNR have cuts? I hope so. Do you know these answers? I am not trying to be cocky I am just asking and will try to look but wanted to respond. I sure hope those areas have cuts in the budget. The issue is that with the administrators you don't have to deal with the unions.

Maybe I am way off on this???

I dont think that adminstrators were cut . . which is part of the teeacher resentment. Nowhere in the Kaukana example did it say that the principal or adminstrators took a pay cut. :wacko: So it was done solely through teacher savings. I can see where teachers would be pissed if it WASNT across the board.

I saw an article that the DNR budget wanted to grow, but didnt. I am not sure if that is the same as a "cut".

Look, if your business needed to cut 10% of expenses, and you have 10 departments, do you cut each departmnet 10% or at least LOOK for 10% out of each? Or do you cut 40% from one, and less from the others?

I can understand why teachers would be pissed if they are the main focus of the sudden austerity measures versus a systematic examination of the entire budget across the board. I really cant say it any simpler.

I am of the opinion that with a huge deficit you look across thr board for savings. Not just public employee unions (although that is a big part of it) and not just teachers (although that is a big part of it). You look at adminstrators, you look at the "public safety" professions, you look at DNR, you look at every single departmnet you have, and give each of them a % they HAVE to cut to balance the budget. That very well means that the teachers union still gets gutted, but you at least TRY and be even handed about it across the board. :wacko:

Did a quick look and it looks like DNR did not get slashed - it did sound like from what I read that they went through furloghs last year and were in a hiring freeze - I am not sure if the new budget kept the funding at what was cut previous or if it was put back to what it was before hiring freezes and furloughs.

Does not look like they took a large hit but to play both sides maybe the DNR was already thin??

Did a quick look and it looks like DNR did not get slashed - it did sound like from what I read that they went through furloghs last year and were in a hiring freeze - I am not sure if the new budget kept the funding at what was cut previous or if it was put back to what it was before hiring freezes and furloughs.

Does not look like they took a large hit but to play both sides maybe the DNR was already thin??

Not from the damn out of state fishing and hunting fees I have to pay . . . :wacko:

I think we had an article not long ago where they request tens of millions of dollars every year to buy private land to make it conservation land. I think their request for millions and millions of dollars was turned down. But that isnt an essential cost cutting function, that is more of a luxury "capital" purchase. If they were shutting down hatcheries and having labor take pay cuts then that might be comparable to the teacher parallel

I can understand why teachers would be pissed if they are the main focus of the sudden austerity measures versus a systematic examination of the entire budget across the board. I really cant say it any simpler.

because it is not about saving money....fitzwalker has even said so but you guys don't ever seem to remember that part. :wacko: