[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

America: the "no vacation nation" (relative to others)

BeeR

54 members have voted

1. 1. How much vacation do you normally GET per year?

• N/A, I'm unemployed or a housewife/etc
    • 1 week or less
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • More than 4 weeks
    • Varies a lot for whatever reason (eg self-employed)
    • other (desc)
  2. 2. How much vacation do you normally TAKE per year?

• N/A, I'm unemployed or a housewife/etc
    • 1 week or less
    • 2 weeks
    • 3 weeks
    • 4 weeks
    • More than 4 weeks
    • Varies a lot for whatever reason (eg self-employed)
    • other (desc)

I think I get 15 personal days which can be sick or vacation plus holidays. It's normal for me to use 7 or 8 of them. I can't carry them over or sell them back. I have been informed that I need to start using them all.

I get 2 weeks per year. No formal policy on sick time or anything. In probably 5 more years, I'll end up with 3. I spend most of my vacation taking sick days when we don't have babysitter coverage or at best adding an extra day to a long weekend.

I wish they mandated a minimum of 3 weeks vacation per year. Small companies in my industry have no reason to have good vacation policies as there are only a handful in town to compete with. I make some of my own schedule so if I get off a jobsite early I can get some extra stuff done, but it'd be nice to actually be able to travel and take a real vacation occasionally.

buddybigsix

Our value system is out of whack, we are taught to worship the dollar, and that money is happiness v/s just a tool for a means of exchange for goods and services while we pursue our own personal happiness.

This isn’t a result of the great boogey man of capitalism! It is a result of the manipulation of free markets into corporatism which closely resembles fascism.

Through the merger of government and corporations we have became completely manipulated into a materialistic nation. We do not value our personal time as much as we value being ahead of our neighbors, having the new puff daddy CD, or having the latest supersized TV. We are more concerned with having a fancy car that we can drive back and forth from our prison cell than experiencing the world or interacting with other people. We work as corporate clogs in the wheel of a giant Orwellian system. We are controlled by the fiat money system where the money we have in the bank is continuously devalued through inflationary practices to "boost the economy” by making us spend. From this social engineering manipulation of our behavoir we continuously spend and go farther into debt. Think about it, we used to be a nation that valued wealth and what one had accumulated; nowadays we are more concerned with our credit score. From this we must continue to work to pay the debt we accumulate, and never get to accumulate rainy day funds that we have saved up for vacations. This won’t be fixed by mandating vacations, or forcing those “evil businesses” to give workers paid time off. It will only be fixed be creating a sound money economy where our dollar keeps a constant value. This system would encourage individuals to save for the things that they value. And for individuals who come to the conclusion based on their own personal values that they value their non-renewable resource of time and vacations to experience the world around them, they can chose to do so logically. Not before we do this will people begin to value important things again, until then they will continue to value what they are manipulated into valuing by fiat monetary manipulation policies.

^^^ This.

I get 6 hours vacation time per pay period, or 3 hours per week. which is 156 hours per year, or 19.5 work days....so just shy of four weeks. a max of 240 hours can roll over every calendar year.

sick leave accumulates at 4 hours per pay period, and there's no cap on how much you can carry.

Edited by Azazello1313

before the career change i used to have about 5 weeks of pto (was rarely sick so could use it for vacations). we would take 3 week trips to europe and use the other time for long weekends or other trips. since the change.... about 1-2 weeks of paid vacation plus paid sick time. due to frequent movement between employers, it has been more difficult to accumulate more than that.

Get paid twice a month (24 times/year) and get 4 hours of vacation every pay (it eventually goes up when you get to like 5 or 6 yrs of service) and I also get 4 hours of sick time every pay...what sucks is if I work any overtime I don't get paid for it but instead get it as comp time (and I am not a salaried employee)