[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Excel question

matt770

I have a sheet with a long list of dated records and I would like to add a column that shows the age of each record.

For example, if column B is May 25, I want column C to say 0, and tomorrow when I open the sheet I want it to say 1, and Friday I want it to say 2, etc. Is there a formula that will do this? TIA

I have a sheet with a long list of dated records and I would like to add a column that shows the age of each record.

For example, if column B is May 25, I want column C to say 0, and tomorrow when I open the sheet I want it to say 1, and Friday I want it to say 2, etc. Is there a formula that will do this? TIA

You can use the formula =NOW() - typed just like that in say cell A1 - everytime you open your excel sheet the current date will be in cell A1 so if you do it now it will be 05/25/2011 when you open it tomorrow it will be 05/26/2011.

Now hardcode 05/25/2011 in cell B1 and then in Cell C1 put the following formula = B1-A1 - you would need to format this cell as a number (it might default to a date. This will always subtract 05/25/2011 from the current date that is in cell A1.

You may get some rounding because =now() is time sensitive - if you have an issue with rounding let me know there are probably ways to fix that.

I hope this is what you were asking.

So, in Column c put the formula: =Now()-B1

Then you will have to format it as a number.

If your dates are in column B (your example), just write this equation in column C: =NOW()-1-A1.

You will have to have column B (your dates) formatted as date and column C (number of days) formatted as a number, but that's easy to format by highlighting the whole column and selecting: Format>Cells. You will also have to copy the formula down, so for row 2 the formula reads: =NOW()-1-A2 and so forth...