[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Help a Huddler - Collaboration Survey

WashingtonD

My company is launching an effort to better understand "collaboration" in organizations. To kick off that process we've developed a brief survey that anyone who works in a company or not for profit can fill out.

Anyone who fills out the survey to completion is entered for a chance to win a $500 Apple Store Gift Card. There is no sales efforts behind this, we're not looking to push our services with the survey, and no one's personal information will be sold or transferred to any other companies (and there is a very minimum of that information requested).

I'd really appreciate as many folks as possible filling this out, it will personally help me a great deal as I'm responsible for thought leadership at our firm and this survey will be the base set of info for my next whitepaper.

Thanks in advance, and if you have any questions please don't hesitate to let me know!

http://collectivenext.com/state-collaboration-survey

WashD

Dude, I went to the survey but have no idea what "collaboration" means in this specific context. That is, I understand what it means as far as people working together on something. However, the way it is used, it sounds like a buzzword that has a very specific meaning beyond what I understand the word to mean.

Dude, I went to the survey but have no idea what "collaboration" means in this specific context. That is, I understand what it means as far as people working together on something. However, the way it is used, it sounds like a buzzword that has a very specific meaning beyond what I understand the word to mean.

Same here, more or less.

Yep, that is a loaded word which needs a specific definition for this context.

WashD, sounds like you may want to fix the survey. Obviously you can post here what it means so you can get meaningful responses from us. But, given the paucity of those of us who have any idea what you're talking about, I have to guess that's going to come up elsewhere. I mean, I figured someone, even if it wasn't you, was going to come along and school me on what it meant. Hell, I thought there was a decent chance that I'd be asked if I'd been living under a rock or something because any idiot should know what that means. However, that certainly doesn't seem to be the case.

Perhaps you need to give a brief explanation at the beginning of the survey or something?

totally appreciate the feedback, we actually argued long about whether to include a specific definition for collaboration as part of the survey or let folks come in with their own definition.

I'm going to edit the kick off of the survey to include the following definition:

Collaboration: A process of creation through which parties that see different aspects of a problem can constructively explore their differences and search for solutions that go beyond their own limited vision of what is possible. The result is something that did not exist before and that no single individual could have created alone.

totally appreciate the feedback, we actually argued long about whether to include a specific definition for collaboration as part of the survey or let folks come in with their own definition.

I'm going to edit the kick off of the survey to include the following definition:

Collaboration: A process of creation through which parties that see different aspects of a problem can constructively explore their differences and search for solutions that go beyond their own limited vision of what is possible. The result is something that did not exist before and that no single individual could have created alone.

So, there really is no magic definition? It's just what we think it to be? That said, is that really anything totally new? Isn't that what meetings are about? Every time I hear about something being designed, it's always "a team of engineers". When my wife was in advertising, virtually every pitch was created by people sitting around a room throwing ideas out.

Are you saying, as opposed to more tier driven stuff where one guys comes up with something and it is approved or edited by someone above them. That what is being contemplated is putting those two people in a room at once and having them hash things out more or less as equals?

Detlef,

Collaboration certainly is nothing new. One way or another folks have been collaborating at work as long as there have been work. That said how folks are going about collaborating in organizations, what tools they are using, how it is happening, how it is measured, is all more emergent work.

What we are really after here is understanding how far organization's and individual's understanding and use of collaboration has evolved. the hope is that this study will act as a baseline that we can then re-sample each year and study how the trends will change.

As far as your examples, the last one is definitely the classic example of the difference between hierarchical and collaborative work styles.

I know my language may be a bit stilted around this, but it's very much because it is an area of exploration and investigation versus a place that there is a ton of great thought leadership out there about right now (thus the survey)...

Totally appreciate the feedback and the dialogue, it's all very helpful to me!

D

Thanks gents, we're absolutely exceeding expectations for our first day roll out, we've had about 40 respondents so far with just me and my intern pushing it out. If I can keep driving numbers I should be able to convince my partners to kick in another couple $500 gift cards.

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to fill this out!

WD

Thanks gents, we're absolutely exceeding expectations for our first day roll out, we've had about 40 respondents so far with just me and my intern pushing it out. If I can keep driving numbers I should be able to convince my partners to kick in another couple $500 gift cards.

Really appreciate everyone taking the time to fill this out!

WD

Just be careful what you ask for. If you get the huddle involved and then try to cook the numbers like Patton's Fine Jewelry did in their poll, we'll be on you like flies on chight.

Just be careful what you ask for. If you get the huddle involved and then try to cook the numbers like Patton's Fine Jewelry did in their poll, we'll be on you like flies on chight.

I should have mentioned that Patton's Fine Jewelry is our parent company huh?

Done.

FWIW suggest renaming the one near the end that says "..rank their importance in measuring the impact of collaboration" to something like "rank their importance as reasons to perform collaboration." Unless I'm misunderstanding, you're asking people to rank the various benefits of collaberation, true? If so, the first one didn't sound like it quite hit the mark. Just IMO

So, there really is no magic definition? It's just what we think it to be? That said, is that really anything totally new? Isn't that what meetings are about?

Spoken like someone totally out of touch with the corporate America culture, and I mean that as a compliment. :wacko:

Is the survey over with now? I can get to the first page, but when I click on the "next" button it does not forward to the next page, it just reloads the first page.

Edited by Savage Beatings