[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

People releasing pythons?

Scooby

Florida folks, plz chime in, I saw a program on the Discovery channel about people dumping their unwanted python snakes into the wild and how they are wreaking havoc on Florida's ecosystem...now I hear about my cousin in south texas (her story was on the news)...a 10 foot long burmese python killed her chickens, a dog, a raccoon, etc...her son killed the damned thing, it was an albino, she thinks someone just let it loose when they couldnt keep it anymore. I wish that person would have donated it, it was a beautiful creature, this coming from a person that abhors snakes...

Florida folks, plz chime in, I saw a program on the Discovery channel about people dumping their unwanted python snakes into the wild and how they are wreaking havoc on Florida's ecosystem...now I hear about my cousin in south texas (her story was on the news)...a 10 foot long burmese python killed her chickens, a dog, a raccoon, etc...her son killed the damned thing, it was an albino, she thinks someone just let it loose when they couldnt keep it anymore. I wish that person would have donated it, it was a beautiful creature, this coming from a person that abhors snakes...

Michael Irvin wants its skin for a pair of wing tips and a matching tie.

Interestingly enough the release of pythons, boas, anacondas, etc... has been a real problem for the ecology in Florida. These non-indigenous snakes are pretty close to the top predator in the areas where they dwell (they have even been known to prey on small alligators.) They can breed like crazy and had really taken a foothold. They need to be exterminated.

That being said, recently it seems the population of these large snakes has taken a nose dive. Herpetologists have concluded that a few of the heavy freeze events that have struck central and south Florida really took their toll on the population over the past couple years.

While it might be a bigger issue than percieved here, you certainly dont just see a python roaming down the road. In fact, I have never seen one in the wild, and Ive lived here 34 years (34 years yesterday :wacko: ).

There are plenty of dumb people that own them here though - http://www.baynews9.com/article/news/2011/...-toddlers-death