[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

A bipartisan deficit plan appears to be on the table

bushwacked

:wacko:

But he found cause for optimism in the announcement Tuesday by leaders of a bipartisan "Gang of Six" senators that they're nearing agreement on a major plan to cut the deficit by more than $4 trillion over the coming decade.

"I think it's a very significant step," Obama said, calling it "broadly consistent with the approach I've urged."

The Gang of Six plan calls for an immediate $500 billion "down payment" on cutting the deficit as the starting point toward cuts of more than $4 trillion that would be finalized in a second piece of legislation. It would raise revenues by about $1 trillion over 10 years and cut popular benefit programs like Medicare and Medicaid - dealing out political pain to Republicans and Democrats.

That mixture of cuts and new revenue is the "balanced approach" Obama has urged, though it's rejected by many Republicans because it would require higher taxes for some.

Didn't he supposedly bail a couple weeks back? I could have sworn he did, unless it was just a decoy move or something.

well, ok, since I guess you can't be bothered to click the link...

The once moribund Senate “Gang of Six” gained new life Tuesday after Oklahoma Sen. Tom Coburn unexpectedly rejoined the group and President Barack Obama praised a new effort to cut the debt by as much as $3.7 trillion over the next decade.

Senators in the Gang of Six - Kent Conrad (D-N.D.), Dick Durbin (D-Ill.), Mark Warner (D-Va.), Mike Crapo (R-Idaho) and Coburn - discussed the proposal with 43 senators Tuesday morning on the first floor of the Senate, after more than six months of struggling to broker a deal.

Coburn left the group in May but suddenly rejoined after the group added $115 billion in additional health care cuts and included the provision allowing senators to circumvent the stalled committees.

“I’m back,” Coburn told the big group Tuesday, prompting a round of applause.

I'm not really in favor of denying interest deductions for homes over $500k when the affordability of buying such a home in the first place was predicated on the understanding that mortgage interest deduction was available. Though, I'd be fine with it for purchases *after* the effective date of the legislation, because then there's no bait-and-switch.

I'm not really in favor of denying interest deductions for homes over $500k when the affordability of buying such a home in the first place was predicated on the understanding that mortgage interest deduction was available. Though, I'd be fine with it for purchases *after* the effective date of the legislation, because then there's no bait-and-switch.

yeah, and it seems to me like that threshold ought to be indexed somehow based on the particular real estate market.

yeah, and it seems to me like that threshold ought to be indexed somehow based on the particular real estate market.

I'd start by eliminating the deduction for second homes before tackling the first deduction. It does need to be done though - why does my son, who rents, subsidize my home?

I'd start by eliminating the deduction for second homes before tackling the first deduction. It does need to be done though - why does my son, who rents, subsidize my home?

It's the circle of life. Greedy old people force the younger people to pay for their stuff.

You don't need to use the adjective "greedy" before "old"....has a baby boomer ever voted down free money while forcing their grandchildren to eventually pick up the tab after they are gone?