[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Texas student suspensions

Ursa Majoris

This seems astoundingly high to me.

A new study by the by the Council of State Governments finds that 60 percent of Texan students were suspended, expelled or faced in-school suspensions by the time they graduated high school.

The researchers followed every Texas seventh grader into high school, the New York Times reports, studying almost 1 million students.

Fifteen percent of the students were disciplined 11 times or more over the six years. And the more frequently a student faced suspension or expulsion, the greater the chances would be that the disciplined student would eventually drop out, according to the Council of State Governments analysis.

"African-American students and those with particular educational disabilities experience a disproportionately high rate of removal from the classroom for disciplinary reasons," study author Mike Thompson told NPR. Seventy percent of black female students were expelled or suspended, compared to 37 percent of white girls, he said.

Seems like total anarchy. :wacko:

What does 'in school suspension' mean - something like detention hall or Saturday class?

What it meant in the late 80's, early 90's was that you would be placed in a separate room with other extroverts, who had made transgressions against an authority figure, for the balance of the school day.

A buddy of mine's father is a school cop, when I spoke with him in December of last year they had already arrested +/- 130 students for illicit activities while at school ( High School.)

i have never had a problem in my classes but I am " the hammer" as most kids put it.... a little of the old school never hurts. most teacher will not confront/ get into a confrontation they just let it go until the administration or the cops shows up to handle things.

If a kids is suspended from school that usually means they are home without any supervision.... = more trouble

the school is supposed to educate/ socialize kids today but classroom teachers have little power in the classroom or they choose not to use what they have and let the courts settle things.

Many kids have figured out the school and school authorities have no real power. It is nearly imposable to expel a student, the lawyer fees and education cost are way to high.

I blame the parents and Obama

What it meant in the late 80's, early 90's was that you would be placed in a separate room with other extroverts, who had made transgressions against an authority figure, for the balance of the school day.

In the early 80s too. The student would report to a separate room instead of classes for the duration of the suspension.

I went to school in Texas and what you described was what they called alternative center, which wasn't even on campus. I don't recall an on campus classroom that served that function, your ass got shipped elsewhere basically.

But again, is that what this study is referring to or is even basic d hall included in it's definition?

I went to school in Texas and what you described was what they called alternative center, which wasn't even on campus. I don't recall an on campus classroom that served that function, your ass got shipped elsewhere basically.

But again, is that what this study is referring to or is even basic d hall included in it's definition?

There were also schools for "those" kids. THis was more less for infractions that were somewhat benign in nature. For instance I received four days of said confinement for hazing a kid at the bus stop.

The ISS room at our school was a partitioned off part of the old field house next to the locker rooms where visiting football/soccer teams dressed and showered. Smelled wonderful in there. They also had those big ass crickets who would constantly chirp and crawl up your leg... Good times.

I'm not sure exactly to what this study is referring.