[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

If You Like [blank], Then You Might Like [blank]....

darin3

I absolutely love Pandora and services like it. In fact, I've found out about a ton of bands/artists I would have likely never heard of otherwise. In case you live under a RocK, you understand how these things work.... you give it a band or an artist and it plays a selection of music that is for all intents and purposes ... "similar".

I'm always looking to add to my music collection (I just found about a thousand of my older CDs) so maybe this could be a good way of passing on your knowledge.

So, I'll throw one out there... I LOVE Sublime/311... anyone have a suggestion on something I might enjoy given this fact?

I absolutely love Pandora and services like it. In fact, I've found out about a ton of bands/artists I would have likely never heard of otherwise. In case you live under a RocK, you understand how these things work.... you give it a band or an artist and it plays a selection of music that is for all intents and purposes ... "similar".

I'm always looking to add to my music collection (I just found about a thousand of my older CDs) so maybe this could be a good way of passing on your knowledge.

So, I'll throw one out there... I LOVE Sublime/311... anyone have a suggestion on something I might enjoy given this fact?

You'll like Cake, also, then.

You'll like Cake, also, then.

:tup: I haven't heard any Cake song that has merged ska/reggae with rock/pop. They're from Suckramento, so I've been on top of their game for quite some time... maybe I'm missing something. Or perhaps you accidentally capitalized the "C", in which case, you are very correct. :wacko:

:tup: I haven't heard any Cake song that has merged ska/reggae with rock/pop. They're from Suckramento, so I've been on top of their game for quite some time... maybe I'm missing something. Or perhaps you accidentally capitalized the "C", in which case, you are very correct. :wacko:

They seem to flow with one another pretty well, not necessarilly saying it is the same genre, but generally most people I know that have a great affinity for sublime and 311 like Cake.

Maybe try Matisyahu? Definitely NOT ska-punk, but he's a hacidic Jewish rapper (yes, you read that right) with a jam/reggae vibe to his songs... Most of his live album is pretty good.

I'll throw mine out there. I grew up with a deadhead uncle, a mom who liked Traffic, and a Dad who was an Allman Brothers fan. Thus, other than new jam/rock bands, I listen to more classic stuff than anything... A good one I've found was Blind Faith (Clapton & Winwood), but would like to discover some more good classic rock bands that most don't know about.

Maybe try Matisyahu? Definitely NOT ska-punk, but he's a hacidic Jewish rapper (yes, you read that right) with a jam/reggae vibe to his songs... Most of his live album is pretty good.

I'll throw mine out there. I grew up with a deadhead uncle, a mom who liked Traffic, and a Dad who was an Allman Brothers fan. Thus, other than new jam/rock bands, I listen to more classic stuff than anything... A good one I've found was Blind Faith (Clapton & Winwood), but would like to discover some more good classic rock bands that most don't know about.

I've seen Matisyahu live here in Austin. That live album was recorded at the joint I saw him at (prior show, though) ... Stubbs.

Classic rock bands that you've never heard of... I'll have to chew on that for a bit.

I think you may have only heard the mainstream stuff from Cake. There music is pretty good.

Others you might like:

Modest Mouse

Flobots

Patrick Sweany

If you like the blues, you need to listen to The Mannish Boys

Maybe some really old ska and rock steady?

Talk about "merging ska with rock" old ska is barely distinguishable from old rock.

Check out old Desmond Dekker or Dave and Ansel Collins Heavy, Heavy Monster Sounds

The Collins Bros stuff is more rock steady, so it's closer to reggae than what Dekker did

ETA, the above examples are really just my favorites of the genre. There are others that sounded more like 50s rock than these guys did, I just don't like them as much.

Edited by detlef

Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned. I assume you have checked out Long Beach Dub Allstars. They are pretty much Sublime sans Brad Nowell. I've got Fugazi, if you don't have that album it's worthy of checking out. I can't imagine they would be new to you though.

Nothing that hasn't already been mentioned. I assume you have checked out Long Beach Dub Allstars. They are pretty much Sublime sans Brad Nowell. I've got Fugazi, if you don't have that album it's worthy of checking out. I can't imagine they would be new to you though.

The Dub All-Stars played for a few years while they looked for a Nowell replacement. They found Rome Ramirez and after some legal BS, settled on "Sublime with Rome" and toured last year. I think their first album was just released.

I popped "40 oz to Freedom" in my car's CD player yesterday and man, every single song is good.