[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Key West

Atlanta Cracker

Make it interesting...

Get a couple of 50 pound barrels, some ply wood, and some inner tubes. Construct a raft and see if you can make it to Cuba... Which is closer to Key West than mainland USA.

I can't believe you guys actually convinced me to do this. Fraking coast guard making me write them a $18K check for that rescue still chaps my ass.

AC.....let me know what you did and restaurants, etc. you particularly liked when you get back. MrBunz just mentioned planning a Key West vacation for Feb next year. I'd love to get some ideas from you! :wacko:

The B&B we are staying in has a handy computer in the common area so I figured I would give an update as we go along. Especially since it seems I am awake a couple of hours before everyone else on the island :tup:.

Day One:

Flew in Saturday morning and landed around 11:00 AM. Did the direct flight to Key West rather than into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami followed by a 3 hour drive. We're only here for 3 nights so didn't want to allocate that much time to travel. We're staying at The Mermaid and the Alligator which the cab driver informed us is referred to locally as "The Mermigator." This place is super cool, relaxing, and off the beaten path. Other than our meals we spent the rest of our time day 1 hanging out here in the gardens and by the plunge pool. My wife and I generally focus more on relaxing than sightseeing or having something to do all of the time. Here are the places we hit on day one and some thoughts:

Southernmost Beach Cafe - Grabbed lunch here since it was only a few blocks away and recommended by someone at the B&B. Great atmosphere right on the beach but the food and service was a little disappointing. Worth grabbing a drink here but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. Overall B-

Santiago's Bodega - Had dinner at this tapas restaurant based on cab driver and B&B owner's recommendations. Food was very good. Some things were a little spicy for my wife's taste but the service was great and prices weren't too bad. I would rate it a B+

Better than Sex This was unexpectedly the highlight of the day. The B&B owner mentioned this as a place for desert to check out on our way to dinner because you actually have to have reservations. We didn't think we would be interested but after dinner decided to check it out. They were booked but there was one table outside that we were able to snag. I had a Rouge Dark IPA with a glass dipped in white chocolate (called a rim job). It was awesome plus the cookie pie dessert we had was amazing as well. Definitely an A+

More to come...

The B&B we are staying in has a handy computer in the common area so I figured I would give an update as we go along. Especially since it seems I am awake a couple of hours before everyone else on the island :wacko: .

Day One:

Flew in Saturday morning and landed around 11:00 AM. Did the direct flight to Key West rather than into Ft. Lauderdale or Miami followed by a 3 hour drive. We're only here for 3 nights so didn't want to allocate that much time to travel. We're staying at The Mermaid and the Alligator which the cab driver informed us is referred to locally as "The Mermigator." This place is super cool, relaxing, and off the beaten path. Other than our meals we spent the rest of our time day 1 hanging out here in the gardens and by the plunge pool. My wife and I generally focus more on relaxing than sightseeing or having something to do all of the time. Here are the places we hit on day one and some thoughts:

Southernmost Beach Cafe - Grabbed lunch here since it was only a few blocks away and recommended by someone at the B&B. Great atmosphere right on the beach but the food and service was a little disappointing. Worth grabbing a drink here but I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here. Overall B-

Santiago's Bodega - Had dinner at this tapas restaurant based on cab driver and B&B owner's recommendations. Food was very good. Some things were a little spicy for my wife's taste but the service was great and prices weren't too bad. I would rate it a B+

Better than Sex This was unexpectedly the highlight of the day. The B&B owner mentioned this as a place for desert to check out on our way to dinner because you actually have to have reservations. We didn't think we would be interested but after dinner decided to check it out. They were booked but there was one table outside that we were able to snag. I had a Rouge Dark IPA with a glass dipped in white chocolate (called a rim job). It was awesome plus the cookie pie dessert we had was amazing as well. Definitely an A+

More to come...

were those hotties really there, do they have a live cam like the mudhole

Day Two:

Had a great cup of Coffee at The Cuban Coffee Queen It appears most people aren't stirring early in the morning!

Lunch at Louie's Backyard was our favorite meal yet and a great porch overlooking the ocean.

Did some bar hopping around Duval street and the Wharf. A couple of favorites for craft beer menus:

The Porch and the side street bar at Sloppy Joes. One thing we noticed was that anywhere with live music was REALLY loud and we wanted to be able to hear each other talk so we tended to avoid those places.

Had dinner and watched the sunset at Hot Tin Roof at the Ocean Key Resort. The food was ok and the service was slow but he setting was awesome. Sunset Pier would give the same ambiance with more reasonable prices.

Day Two:

Had a great cup of Coffee at The Cuban Coffee Queen It appears most people aren't stirring early in the morning!

Lunch at Louie's Backyard was our favorite meal yet and a great porch overlooking the ocean.

Did some bar hopping around Duval street and the Wharf. A couple of favorites for craft beer menus:

The Porch and the side street bar at Sloppy Joes. One thing we noticed was that anywhere with live music was REALLY loud and we wanted to be able to hear each other talk so we tended to avoid those places.

Had dinner and watched the sunset at Hot Tin Roof at the Ocean Key Resort. The food was ok and the service was slow but he setting was awesome. Sunset Pier would give the same ambiance with more reasonable prices.

There used to be a bar down an alley, the kind where wimmen walk around in different stages of dress... Pirates Den, if you're into that kinda thing and if It's still open. :wacko:

Edited by SEC=UGA

There used to be a bar down an alley, the kind where wimmen walk around in different stages of dress... Pirates Den, if you're into that kinda thing and if It's still open. :wacko:

What was her name? Unfortunately it's been too long... anyway, she just had a natural sexiness about her? She oozed sex! Good memories.

oh, have fun with those comments folks!

What was her name? Unfortunately it's been too long... anyway, she just had a natural sexiness about her? She oozed sex! Good memories.

oh, have fun with those comments folks!

Zoie was her name. And when she lifted up her shirt, put it over your head and squeezed your face into those D-cups...

A few additions from the last day worth noting.

Sandy's Cafe - Great Cuban sandwich at this little joint next to a laundromat. Definitely worth a trip out of the way for a cheap lunch.

Turtle Kraals .50 oysters on the half shell and a great view of the harbor from upstairs.

Overall a very good trip. The B&B was the best part as we spent most of our time there just chilling out. Key West is very interesting. I think the best analogy I heard was that Duval street is like Bourbon Street set in the Caribbean. Add on some Myrtle beach flare and touristy things to do and you get the idea. There are also very few beaches which takes some getting used to. I think for our next trip to this area we may try one of the upper keys like Islamorada or something a little more laid back and off the beaten path but Key West is worth experiencing at least once.

A few additions from the last day worth noting.

Sandy's Cafe - Great Cuban sandwich at this little joint next to a laundromat. Definitely worth a trip out of the way for a cheap lunch.

Turtle Kraals .50 oysters on the half shell and a great view of the harbor from upstairs.

Overall a very good trip. The B&B was the best part as we spent most of our time there just chilling out. Key West is very interesting. I think the best analogy I heard was that Duval street is like Bourbon Street set in the Caribbean. Add on some Myrtle beach flare and touristy things to do and you get the idea. There are also very few beaches which takes some getting used to. I think for our next trip to this area we may try one of the upper keys like Islamorada or something a little more laid back and off the beaten path but Key West is worth experiencing at least once.

I loved staying in Islamorada. Very laid back, less touristy and we stayed at a ocenside resort witha great beach. Only "problem, is that it was shallow water for roughly a 1/4 mile out, only getting about waist deep. No real deep swimming on the Atlantic side at least.

I loved staying in Islamorada. Very laid back, less touristy and we stayed at a ocenside resort witha great beach. Only "problem, is that it was shallow water for roughly a 1/4 mile out, only getting about waist deep. No real deep swimming on the Atlantic side at least.

That's cool. Where did you stay there?

• 3 weeks later...