[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Interview with Home Depot founder Bernie Marcus

westvirginia

Recent interview

The U.S. government. Having built a small business into a big one, I can tell you that today the impediments that the government imposes are impossible to deal with. Home Depot would never have succeeded if we'd tried to start it today. Every day you see rules and regulations from a group of Washington bureaucrats who know nothing about running a business. And I mean every day. It's become stifling.

ETA: In July alone the administration has created an extimated $9.5 billion in new regulatory costs.

Edited by westvirginia

Can we find out why I can't find anyone with a freaking clue in their plumbing department when I'm working on something relatively simple like installing a hot water heater?

Because Home Depot drove all the smaller, owner operated hardware stores out of business where you actually delt with people who knew what they were talking about.

Because Home Depot drove all the smaller, owner operated hardware stores out of business where you actually delt with people who knew what they were talking about.

This is absolutely true. My wife works at Home Depot and my first choice is always an Ace Hardware. And her managers know it. When one asked me about it, I told them two reasons: one, many folks don't know anything about what they're selling there, and two, since she doesn't get an employee discount what incentive to I have to shop at a store with inferior service to an Ace? I was nice, and the manager took it like it was intended, but didn't like it anyway.

This is absolutely true. My wife works at Home Depot and my first choice is always an Ace Hardware. And her managers know it. When one asked me about it, I told them two reasons: one, many folks don't know anything about what they're selling there, and two, since she doesn't get an employee discount what incentive to I have to shop at a store with inferior service to an Ace? I was nice, and the manager took it like it was intended, but didn't like it anyway.

I go to the Do It center and whenever I walk into a department, some nice old man will ask if I need help and usually stay with me until I'm sure I picked out all the parts I need for my project. Never once have I had to look for someone. I would have to actually ask them to leave me alone if I don't need help. They have a better selection of screws, bolts and pipe fittings than HD despite being much smaller. Or maybe it just seems that way because the people at HD are not able to explain half of what they sell. Usually they approach it the same way I would as a layman....hmm, I wonder if this piece will work, nope, let's try this one...

I have been researching opening a brewpub here in Houston. The amount of tax on alcohol and the liability of owning a pub are ridiculous. The govt. (both fed and Tejas) have made it near impossible for a working joe to open a bar without a significant financial backing.

:wacko:

I have been researching opening a brewpub here in Houston. The amount of tax on alcohol and the liability of owning a pub are ridiculous. The govt. (both fed and Tejas) have made it near impossible for a working joe to open a bar without a significant financial backing.

:tup:

Maybe Perry can pray for you. :wacko:

It's deliberately made difficult because the big corporations don't want little guys around. Big companies buy the politicians.

There's a local specialty beer shop near me that I use all the time and the guy running it is constantly under assault from the big grocers because they aren't allowed to sell beer (just Budweiser piss). It's pathetic what lengths big companies will go to to wipe out small rivals.

It's deliberately made difficult because the big corporations don't want little guys around. Big companies buy the politicians.

There's a local specialty beer shop near me that I use all the time and the guy running it is constantly under assault from the big grocers because they aren't allowed to sell beer (just Budweiser piss). It's pathetic what lengths big companies will go to to wipe out small rivals.

This is as true as anything else and another reason why gov't power should be very limited. Businesses get big and forget what it was like to be small and hungry, and they use their market share and politician-buying to try to squash competition.

I certainly hope you don't work for a big business. The constant railing on them every day would make you very hypocritical. You must work at some mom 'n' pop shop somewhere, right?

Can we find out why I can't find anyone with a freaking clue in their plumbing department when I'm working on something relatively simple like installing a hot water heater?

I'm sure there's a government regulation we can blame for that.

I've got old classmates in Houston who have both bought pubs, and started pubs from scratch. I'm not saying its easy, but don't tell me its impossible.

I've got old classmates in Houston who have both bought pubs, and started pubs from scratch. I'm not saying its easy, but don't tell me its impossible.

Have you read the regulations for making and selling beer in TX?

How many brewpubs are there in the 4th largest city in the US?

Edited by jetsfan

Have you read the regulations for making and selling beer in TX?

How many brewpubs are there in the 4th largest city in the US?

No, but it's Texas, which loves beer and hates government. However bad Texas' regulations are I'm sure they're worse everywhere else.

To my knowledge there have been 19 brew pubs opened in Houston since 1993.

No, but it's Texas, which loves beer and hates government. However bad Texas' regulations are I'm sure they're worse everywhere else.

To my knowledge there have been 19 brew pubs opened in Houston since 1993.

Zero open today in Houston. One in El Paso. Any in Dallas? none that I know of. BJ's can no longer make their own beer in Texas, St. Arnold's makes it for them.

InBev just paid to get our brewing reform shot down. Sad day for Texas brewing. :wacko:

Zero open today in Houston. One in El Paso. Any in Dallas? none that I know of. BJ's can no longer make their own beer in Texas, St. Arnold's makes it for them.

InBev just paid to get our brewing reform shot down. Sad day for Texas brewing. :wacko:

I'm am truly sorry to hear that. But look at it this way: at least what Houston lacks in brew pubs it more than makes up for in thumb-sized flying cockroaches and oppressive humidity. So you've got that going for you.

Edited by yo mama

We have similar bullsiht here in GA. Crown Distributors owns enought politicians to make it illegal for you to buy wine over the internet and have it shipped into GA.