[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Rick Perry

CaP'N GRuNGe

Great piece on Rick Perry tonight on Anderson Cooper. The highlight was showing Perry saying that its the private sector that creates the jobs, and then we see the stats that the so called Texas Miracle actually shows employment gains in all the govt areas state, county, and local in Texas since the recovery started while the private sector actually lost jobs. And gee, why do you think Texas was able to create those govt jobs? Stimulus money from the feds. Man this guy is a real piece of work.

I thought Texas was their own country? Why would they accept money from the Fed?

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, this strange fellow is a disturbing mixture of hitler, jefferson davis, ron paul and yosemite sam. perry makes george w. bush look genteel by comparison.

Never before in the history of the internet have these four been grouped together. I commend you.

My vote will go to whoever can be compared to Lincoln, Patton, Ron Paul, and Foghorn Leghorn.

Great piece on Rick Perry tonight on Anderson Cooper. The highlight was showing Perry saying that its the private sector that creates the jobs, and then we see the stats that the so called Texas Miracle actually shows employment gains in all the govt areas state, county, and local in Texas since the recovery started while the private sector actually lost jobs. And gee, why do you think Texas was able to create those govt jobs? Stimulus money from the feds. Man this guy is a real piece of work.

the fact that you can't spot even the most glaring holes in this narrative....wow you are gullible.

Please enlighten me o wise one.

well let me start with, to me, the most obvious. has texas received more stimulus money per capita than the rest of the country? if not, then how the hell would that explain their far-better-than-average job performance before the recession, through the worst of it, and continuing today? somehow contorting the numbers to give obama credit for texas out-performing the rest of the country is beyond absurd. the fact that you even put it out there shows you and anderson cooper are far more interested in somehow cooking the numbers to credit obama and discredit perry than you are in any serious examination of the issue.

texas has indeed lost something like 170,000 private sector jobs if you measure from the very beginning of the recession. the country as a whole is still down over 6 million jobs by that measure if I am reading the BLS data correctly. the simple incontrovertible fact is that texas has fared better than the rest of the country; again, they had better private sector job growth before the recession, they lost fewer private sector jobs during the recession, and they've had stronger private sector job growth since the bottom of the recession.

now as far as why their public sector has also fared much better and they have continued adding government jobs even through the recession...well that indicates two things:

1) continued population growth, because people have continued wanting to move there. (maybe because there are more jobs there?)

2) texas wasn't faced with making the kinds of austere cuts many other states have been faced with. which really just means they were in better fiscal shape BEFORE the recession than most other states. I'm not sure how you can sensibly pull credit away from Perry and toward Obama and his stimulus for that fact.

well let me start with, to me, the most obvious. has texas received more stimulus money per capita than the rest of the country? if not, then how the hell would that explain their far-better-than-average job performance before the recession, through the worst of it, and continuing today? somehow contorting the numbers to give obama credit for texas out-performing the rest of the country is beyond absurd. the fact that you even put it out there shows you and anderson cooper are far more interested in somehow cooking the numbers to credit obama and discredit perry than you are in any serious examination of the issue.

texas has indeed lost something like 170,000 private sector jobs if you measure from the very beginning of the recession. the country as a whole is still down over 6 million jobs by that measure if I am reading the BLS data correctly. the simple incontrovertible fact is that texas has fared better than the rest of the country; again, they had better private sector job growth before the recession, they lost fewer private sector jobs during the recession, and they've had stronger private sector job growth since the bottom of the recession.

now as far as why their public sector has also fared much better and they have continued adding government jobs even through the recession...well that indicates two things:

1) continued population growth, because people have continued wanting to move there. (maybe because there are more jobs there?)

2) texas wasn't faced with making the kinds of austere cuts many other states have been faced with. which really just means they were in better fiscal shape BEFORE the recession than most other states. I'm not sure how you can sensibly pull credit away from Perry and toward Obama and his stimulus for that fact.

The point is Perry is being disingenuous. Job creation in Texas since the recovery began has been in the public sector. The private sector has lost jobs. And like a handful of Showtime Rotisseriey conservative politicians he has criticized handouts from the feds while taking them anyways and claiming credit from any positive effects from them.

..Ron Paul: Rick Perry makes me look moderate

.By Chris Moody

Political Reporter

.PostsEmailRSS .By Chris Moody | The Ticket – 2 hrs 48 mins ago........

Paul (Jim Cole/AP)

Republican presidential candidate Ron Paul, the national drumbeater against the Federal Reserve, said Wednesday that compared to "some southern governor" (a clear reference to fellow contender Rick Perry) Paul looks more like a moderate.

"I'll tell you what, he makes me sound like a moderate," Paul said at a campaign stop in Concord, New Hampshire. "I have never once said Bernanke has committed treason. But I have suggested very strongly that the Federal Reserve system and all the members have been counterfeiters for a long time." The remarks were first reported by NBC News.

The title of Paul's book is End the Fed.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry said earlier this week that Fed Chairman Ben Bernanke would be "almost treasonous" if he increases the money supply before the elections in November.

:wacko:

Job creation in Texas since the recovery began has been in the public sector. The private sector has lost jobs.

that is simply false. texas is down in private sector jobs if and only if you start counting at the very beginning of the recession in 2007. as I pointed out in my last post, the nation as a whole is still down over 6 million private sector jobs since that time. if you start counting at the bottom of the recession (in 2009), or, as you put it, "since the recovery began", texas has ADDED private sector jobs and added them at a faster rate than the rest of the country.

the one being disingenuous is you, or whoever compiled the "statistics" you are uncritically parroting.

Edited by Azazello1313

that is simply false. texas is down in private sector jobs if and only if you start counting at the very beginning of the recession in 2007. as I pointed out in my last post, the nation as a whole is still down over 6 million private sector jobs since that time. if you start counting at the bottom of the recession (in 2009), or, as you put it, "since the recovery began", texas has ADDED private sector jobs and added them at a much faster rate than the rest of the country.

the one being disingenuous is you, or whoever compiled the statistics you are uncritically parroting.

Pretty disingenuous of you to ignore the effects in Texas of the oil boom. Minnesota, in common with pretty much every other state, doesn't have one of those.

that is simply false. texas is down in private sector jobs if and only if you start counting at the very beginning of the recession in 2007. as I pointed out in my last post, the nation as a whole is still down over 6 million private sector jobs since that time. if you start counting at the bottom of the recession (in 2009), or, as you put it, "since the recovery began", texas has ADDED private sector jobs and added them at a faster rate than the rest of the country.

the one being disingenuous is you, or whoever compiled the "statistics" you are uncritically parroting.

I guess Perry should sue CNN for libel then because they clearly pointed out that since 2009 Texas has added public sector jobs and lost private sector jobs.

OK, i admit I got the timeline somewhat muddled. The jobs data was indeed going back to 2008 and not 2009. Here's the transcript:

Up next, the war of words over jobs between President Obama and Texas Governor Rick Perry. Governor Perry says he creates them and President Obama destroys them.

The question is, what is the facts say? We will check that. We will keep them honest.

Later, opposition forces in Libya getting closer to Tripoli and possibly to victory. We'll talk live with our people on the ground in Tripoli and with opposition just outside of the capital.

First, let's check in with Isha Sesay. Isha.

ISHA SESAY, CNN CORRESPONDENT: Anderson, a stunning revelation in the deadly collapse at the Indiana State fair. It could answer the question why on earth wasn't the fairground evacuated when gale force winds were blowing. It may also pave the way for lots of lawsuits.

That and more when "360" continues.

(COMMERCIAL BREAK)

COOPER: Well, the battle is now joined between President Obama and Texas Governor Perry. It began when Governor Rick Perry suggested that Americans on forces would prefer someone like him who has worn the uniform.

Yesterday with CNN's Wolf Blitzer, President Obama hit back.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

OBAMA: Mr. Perry just got in the presidential race and I think that everybody who runs for president probably takes a little bit of time before they start realizing this isn't like running for governor or senator or congress. You have to be more careful about what you say. But I will cut him some slack. He's only been at it for a few days now. (END VIDEO CLIP)

COOPER: Today in New Hampshire Governor Perry counterpunched.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

GOV. RICK PERRY (R-TX), PRESIDENTIAL CANDIDATE: The president said I need to watch what I say. I just want to respond back, if I may. Mr. President, actions speak louder than words. My actions as governor are helping create jobs in this country. The president's actions are killing jobs in this country. It's time to get America working again.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

COOPER: Well, that's point number one of a three-point critique from Governor Perry that he's a job creator and President Obama is a job destroyer. But "Keeping Them Honest," that's not quite true. In fact, all three of his points stretched the facts. Here's point two. The private sector creates jobs as the public sector doesn't. That's what he says. Listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PERRY: Mr. President, you have tried now for two-and-a-half years of government creating jobs. And it's time to let the private sector get back to work. That's the real way to create jobs in America.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

COOPER: OK. That's point two. Point three, part of his economic success stems from how carefully he spends taxpayer dollars. Listen.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PERRY: One of the things that we did in Texas over the decade was we had some guiding principles. Number one, don't spend all the money.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

COOPER: "Keeping Them Honest," all three points glide over a number of inconvenient facts. So, one of Governor Perry's claims though that Texas has created half of the nation's new jobs during the recovery, that's absolutely true.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas created about 262,000 jobs between the summer of 2009 and now. That's out of 524,000 jobs nationwide. But that hardly makes President Obama as Governor Perry claims a job destroyer. Nationwide, the economy is created jobs every month since mid-2009 but not enough to keep up with the population growth.

But in Texas, the population growth in the form of migration into the state has been so massive it's creating huge demand for goods and services and that means jobs. Health care jobs up more than twice the federal rate. Private education up nearly three-fold. Now, clearly Texas is creating jobs but in large part due to people migrating there and not necessarily because of Rick Perry's policy. The bottom line, President Obama and Governor Perry are both job creators but Governor Perry is benefiting from certain advantages unique to Texas.

The idea that one creates job as the other destroys them is stretch at best. Even more so, when you look at the type of jobs created, and this is really interesting, look at this.

"U.S. News and World Report" crunched the numbers going back to 2008 through the end of last year. Federal government jobs in Texas were up seven percent. State government jobs, government jobs, up 8.4 percent. Local government jobs up 6.1 percent. Private sector jobs, down 0.5 percent.

So Governor Perry's second point that the private sector creates jobs and the public sector doesn't, that simply doesn't hold up. It's not true. Not in Texas. As for point three, spending discipline.

Texas had a $6.6 billion shortfall in the last budget back in 2009. Now, instead of using the state's rainy day fund to close that gap, Governor Perry and the GOP control the legislature took $6. 4 billion in federal stimulus money. Federal stimulus money.

In fact, the very same day he requested it he posted an anti- government item on his blog. The headline, help us turn the tide in Washington and stop these irresponsible bailouts. The irony, this year with federal money running out, Governor Perry had to balance his budget without help from Washington that's meant major spending cuts and layoffs for stable local workers.

I spoke earlier about all these with Democratic Strategist Donna Brazile and a Republican Strategist Alex Castellanos.

(BEGIN VIDEOTAPE)

COOPER: So, Alex, it's true that Texas has led the nation in creating jobs since the recession but a lot of those jobs are in the public sector and funded by federal stimulus money. So when he criticized President Obama's performance on job creation, isn't he being a little hypocritical here?

ALEX CASTELLANOS, REPUBLICAN STRATEGIST: Well, that's one of the differences between playing in the minor leagues and big league ball in a presidential race. You have to think two or three moves down the road. And I think on some of the big government issues, Governor Perry will have a lot to explain.

For example, his Ben Bernanke convent, he is going to come back to bite him because it turns out as a governor he wrote a letter to Bernanke asking for that $700 billion T. A. R. P. programs. So, you know what you say has to match up with what you do at the presidential level.

COOPER: Donna, I mean Perry isn't alone though. Lot of governors are criticizes stimulus when to accept stimulus funds.

DONNA BRAZILE, DEMOCRATIC STRATEGIST: Absolutely. In the case of Texas Governor Perry used the money to basically fill that gap with the budget shortfall. It allowed him not to tap to deeply into the rainy day fund.

Also at a time when other governors were cutting back and furloughing their employees, this governor kept many private sector employees on the payroll.

CASTELLANOS: But Anderson, I also want to defend Perry a little bit here. It was their money originally. Washington did take it from all states. And you can't blame governors, in democrat or Republican, from trying to get their money back.

COOPER: I want to play what you reference comments he made about the fed chairman, Bernanke. I want to play that for our viewers in case he didn't see it.

(BEGIN VIDEO CLIP)

PERRY: If this guy prints more money between now and the election, I don't know what you all would do to him in Iowa, but we would treat him pretty ugly down in Texas.

(LAUGHTER)

PERRY: I mean, printing more money to play politics at this particular time in American history is almost treacherous -- or treasonous, in my opinion.

(END VIDEO CLIP)

COOPER: Does Perry have a problem with the kind of strung on the campaign trail? Because that is what a lot of his supporters love about him.

CASTELLANOS: It is. You know, the one hand he demonstrates strength and right now people feel their president has lost control of Washington and on all sides of everything. But a president is someone who's got his finger on that nuclear button.

You want someone in that chair in the oval office that's solid and steady and you can count on and when you shoot from the lip, that doesn't convey that. What does it do? It scares suburban voters. It scares swing voters.

And one thing Republicans want more than anything, this selection is a candidate who can beat Barack Obama in the fall. Also, Texas is a big state you know. They are allowed to have big oil and big business and big colorful language but if Perry develops a pattern of this, again it's something that will hurt him in the fall and that will hurt him in the primary.

COOPER: Donna, do you think the White House sees Perry as the most potent candidate right now? BRAZILE: I think the White House shouldn't take any of the Republican candidates for granted. It should be concerned about all including Michele Bachmann and Mitt Romney. That said, I thought he made a very big mistake in the first 72 hours of his introduction into the country.

People may know him down in Texans. I fact, Louisiana know him quite well and perhaps people in Arkansas. The majority of voters do not know Rick Perry. They don't know his record. They don't know his background. They don't know the fact that he's a former democrat. Who was a democrat until 1989.

So, during his period of introduction, what voters are looking for especially on the Republican side is someone who could beat President Obama. But what the country is looking for is someone who could lead the country at a very difficult time to help grow the economy and I tell you, when they heard Rick Perry the other day, they probably said we'll take a pass on him.

CASTELLANOS: That's the worst thing I heard yet that Rick Perry was a former democrat. Only thing worse is being a current democrat. Oh, my.

(LAUGHTER)

BRAZILE: You know what? He only left because he couldn't stand the water.

(LAUGHTER)

COOPER: We'll leave it there. Donna Brazile, Alex Castellanos, thank you.

BRAZILE: Thank you.

(END VIDEOTAPE)

over the last year:

Texas’ private sector has added 251,900 jobs for the year ending in June – an annual growth rate of 3 percent – according to the latest monthly review of the Texas economy by the Real Estate Center at Texas A&M University.

The pace is nearly double that of the rest of the country. For the year, the nation’s private sector posted a 1.7 percent growth rate.

Despite job declines in the government and information sector, the state added 225,200 nonfarm jobs for the year. The 2.2 percent Texas nonfarm growth rate compared with a 0.9 percent increase for the nation.

right there in your transcript:

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Texas created about 262,000 jobs between the summer of 2009 and now. That's out of 524,000 jobs nationwide.

about the only relevant statistic that wasn't pure disingenuous spin in that whole segment. man, you got taken for a ride on that one, grungy.

right there in your transcript:

about the only relevant statistic that wasn't pure disingenuous spin in that whole segment. man, you got taken for a ride on that one, grungy.

Sometimes you gather what you already believe out of an article. No matter what it says. Point is, the guys has had some degree of sucess. That sure beats the guy who is running this country now. That moran actually said the other day that when he said change you can believe in he did not mean overnight change. Overnight change? Are you kidding me? 2.5 years is overnight. Oh come on, let's give hime 4 more years. Maybe he can get unemployment to 15%. Hope and change baby...hope and change!