[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Ireland

bpwallace49

Anyone ever been to Ireland? I am planning a family trip to Ireland with my father, uncle and brother. I am the only golfer (so that is out) and I imagine we will be mainly drinking and sightseeing and drinking and checking out some castles and drinking and visiting where my great-great grandparents village is and drinking . . . . etc.

Jameson and guinness are bot on the "must see list". Any others?

We will have our own car, and most likely will be based in Dublin . . .

I've been a couple of times. Both times I flew into and out of Dublin but spent very little time in the city itself. Guinness tour is definitely a must though. You will smell the amazing aroma from miles away!

It will take you about an hour of driving a manual transmission on the "wrong side" of the road before you get used to it. After that you will be cruising along with full confidence. My favorite parts of the country were down South around Blarney, and then up the West coast driving along the Ring of Kerry and stopping at various small cities along the way. Then up to Ennis (my favorite city in Ireland - lots of great music and nightlife). Past Ennis check out the Cliffs of Moher (breathtaking!). I also REALLY enjoyed a day trip out to the Aran Islands (also off the West coast). You just rent a bike and tour the island, and maybe take in a local dancing show and drink some beer... this is the place to buy a sweater as well if you're in the market.

I've been a couple of times. Both times I flew into and out of Dublin but spent very little time in the city itself. Guinness tour is definitely a must though. You will smell the amazing aroma from miles away!

It will take you about an hour of driving a manual transmission on the "wrong side" of the road before you get used to it. After that you will be cruising along with full confidence. My favorite parts of the country were down South around Blarney, and then up the West coast driving along the Ring of Kerry and stopping at various small cities along the way. Then up to Ennis (my favorite city in Ireland - lots of great music and nightlife). Past Ennis check out the Cliffs of Moher (breathtaking!). I also REALLY enjoyed a day trip out to the Aran Islands (also off the West coast). You just rent a bike and tour the island, and maybe take in a local dancing show and drink some beer... this is the place to buy a sweater as well if you're in the market.

Awesome! Thanks!

Important Note: if you decide to drive around the Ring of Kerry, make sure you do it counter-clockwise. Otherwise you will find yourself running the opposite direction of a lot of tour buses on roads which are barely the width of a single tour bus (and guess who will be driving in reverse until you can turn off and let the bus pass?). :wacko:

I've been twice. On my first trip, we tried to take in too much, and wasted far too much time driving, as the roads are small and slow, although they have been improving the highway infastructure. Dublin is more than a city, especially if you are into the history of the rebellion and eventual independence for the nation of Ireland, less the six counties. The bullet holes remain in the facade of the GPO (General Post Office) and some staues in the area from the rebellion. One can tour the basements where Catholic church services were held in secret against English rule and law. Temple Bar over the river is also a fun place to take in some Guinness and music. The oldest bible in the world is at Trinity College in Dublin as well. The artistry of those pages are incredible, and a must see.

The ring of Kerry is great, but the Dingle peninsula is also equally stunning and a solid less touristy venue. The Cliffs of Moher, at Doolin... yes the cliffs are great, but the little quaint town is also fantastic. I bought my fiddle there. Small, still considered to be the birthplace of Irish folk music, a great place to stay, and also offers a base for a trip to some of the western Islands, like the Aran Islands.

I would suggest staying in any chosen town or city for at least 2 days, 3 is better, and don't waste time doing too much driving. You can't do it all in a week or 9 days, it takes more like 3 two week trips to see it all, so resist the temptation to go everywhere, pick a few spots and enjoy them rather than trying to see too much. That way, you might also get in a round of golf while your travel companions could sight see instead, if that is something you don't want to miss. My second trip was much more fun as we settled into a location for a minimum of two days. From Doolin for instance, you can day trip out into the Burren, an interesting geoligical area with many other attractions available along the way.

Research it as much as you can, decide what you want to see, and don't try to see too much of the Island, it can't be done on one trip. Westport is also a great town, far up north of Galway, another popular spot. The Cheiftains started in Westport, and they own a pub there. Very pretty little town.

I wanted to do some fishing, and went over 2 days before the rest of my party. Hired a guide, and what? This guy is a limey, a retired bobby from London! Anywyas, he's a cool guy, beatiful mohagany boat, and we go out on the Shannon. We hook a whopper, a northern pike, the sucker is like nearly 3 feet lo9ng, take some pics, and release it. The guide was freakin out. Later that night.... I find out why.

I get my film into a one hour place, go to a pub, and no one pays any attention to me. I whip out these pics. Bartender peeks over and asks "Where is that from?" I say "Oh, about a kilometer from here, taken today." The guys eyes nearly pop out. He starts yelling at a bunch of patrons, say "Holy cripes. boys! Look at this!" Turns out, they have an annual fishing tournament for northern pike and it's a month away. Top prize gets 2000 euros and a hot fishing/speed boat worth about 25,000 US dollars to the winner. It's the biggest pike they've seen in almost a decade.

They whip out some maps, right on the spot and start asking whre I caught it. I tell 'em, what bait, depth, everything. For one hour, I was the biggest celebrity in the entire town of Athlone. Micks got me good and drunk and I staggered back to my B&B across the bridge, but not before I found a late night fisn n chips joint... and told the same story.

So, if YOU want to take in a round of golf, DO IT. I wanted to go fishing, and it was froggin GOLDEN.

Have a blast.

I wanted to do some fishing, and went over 2 days before the rest of my party. Hired a guide, and what? This guy is a limey, a retired bobby from London! Anywyas, he's a cool guy, beatiful mohagany boat, and we go out on the Shannon. We hook a whopper, a northern pike, the sucker is like nearly 3 feet lo9ng, take some pics, and release it. The guide was freakin out. Later that night.... I find out why.

I get my film into a one hour place, go to a pub, and no one pays any attention to me. I whip out these pics. Bartender peeks over and asks "Where is that from?" I say "Oh, about a kilometer from here, taken today." The guys eyes nearly pop out. He starts yelling at a bunch of patrons, say "Holy cripes. boys! Look at this!" Turns out, they have an annual fishing tournament for northern pike and it's a month away. Top prize gets 2000 euros and a hot fishing/speed boat worth about 25,000 US dollars to the winner. It's the biggest pike they've seen in almost a decade.

They whip out some maps, right on the spot and start asking whre I caught it. I tell 'em, what bait, depth, everything. For one hour, I was the biggest celebrity in the entire town of Athlone. Micks got me good and drunk and I staggered back to my B&B across the bridge, but not before I found a late night fisn n chips joint... and told the same story.

So, if YOU want to take in a round of golf, DO IT. I wanted to go fishing, and it was froggin GOLDEN.

Have a blast.

Man, that's a great story. :wacko: