[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IT Help needed

chiefjay

For some reason my google and yahoo search toolbars do not work and more so I can't use the search bar at the Yahoo site and I can't even go to www.google.com

I ran a full virus scan, nothing detected.

I must have disabled something in my puter?

Any help is appreciated. CJ

For some reason my google and yahoo search toolbars do not work and more so I can't use the search bar at the Yahoo site and I can't even go to www.google.com

I ran a full virus scan, nothing detected.

I must have disabled something in my puter?

Any help is appreciated. CJ

What browser?

Edited by rocknrobn26

He already ran a full virus scan.

Could be a registry issue, cache problem, or an issue with recently installed software.

Or, perhaps his web browser needs to be updated?

A virus scan and a malware scan are two separate scans. Malware is not necessarily detected as a virus, hence the need for a malware scan. Sometimes programs can scan for viruses and malware but typically I find virus scanners are better at detecting viruses than malware. Malwarebytes is a standard (and free) tool used by IT geeks worldwide.

Just sayin'. In my experience, it's better to hit the problem with 2, 3 or 4 solutions sometimes than just 1. Many times one of them detected things that the others did not.

Edited by tosberg34

A virus scan and a malware scan are two separate scans. Malware is not necessarily detected as a virus, hence the need for a malware scan.

You are correct - good point.

I should note, however, that although both terms are often used interchangeably, a virus is technically part of the malware family that includes trojans, worms and spyware. If you use a good antivirus, it should detect everything and not just malware or viruses.

Edit to add: Also, while the free stuff is nice since it doesn't cost anything, it comes at a cost of not protecting your computer as quickly or efficiently as software that might cost money. Antivirus companies pay a lot of money on researching malware and viruses, which you won't get with the freebies. Perhaps that is the reason why you would need 2,3 or 4 different free programs to do the same job that one program could do (which would cost money, but worth it). Just a thought.

Edited by TheGrunt

You are correct - good point.

I should note, however, that although both terms are often used interchangeably, a virus is technically part of the malware family that includes trojans, worms and spyware. If you use a good antivirus, it should detect everything and not just malware or viruses.

Edit to add: Also, while the free stuff is nice since it doesn't cost anything, it comes at a cost of not protecting your computer as quickly or efficiently as software that might cost money. Antivirus companies pay a lot of money on researching malware and viruses, which you won't get with the freebies. Perhaps that is the reason why you would need 2,3 or 4 different free programs to do the same job that one program could do (which would cost money, but worth it). Just a thought.

I disagree with several things in this post.

1) Malware is a very broad term which can include virus, spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms, key loggers, etc. Any malicious software. However, in the common usage anti-virus and anti-malware are not used interchangeably. Anti-virus software typically works very well to protect and scan against the virus specific subset of malware. Anti-malware software is targeted at everything else. The methods of detection are different. While it's true that a good package should scan for both, I have found in my experience that you are often better served having two specialized products rather than hoping one will catch everything.

2) No program will catch everything. No matter how hard you try, something may slip through.

3) There are several free programs that are superior to any pay software. AntiVir for virus scanning and Malwarebytes for Anti-Malware scanning are the first two that jump to mind. In both cases, you can also pay for "pro" versions if you really feel you must pay for software.

4) When something does manage to slip through, you may very well need to try several different programs to get cleaned up, along with specialized utilities like rkill, combofix, or hijackthis. Many of the malware programs are very good at hiding themselves from scanners, disabling scanners, or other methods to avoid detection. Frequently this requires a multi-pronged attack to recover. In some cases you may even need to go as far as booting from a Bart PE disc such as an Ultimate Windows Boot Disc, which can load and scan the registry hives on the infected disc.

If you spend as much time as I do cleaning up other peoples messes, you'd realize how inaccurate your assessment of the process and software required is.

Okay, I'll save you the $50 an hour (unless it turns out to be something that needs to be manually removed from the registry, and in that case I recommend my last resort below anyway), because if it isn't working on multiple browsers, you almost assuredly have some sort of bug:

Malwarebytes (free), Dr. Web (free), and Vipre (pay one like McAffee)

I'd have Vipre or some kind of preventative and not just reactionary anti-virus anyway, but if those don't work, your last resort is to save all of your important files (assuming you have the discs for Windows and your applications) and reinstall Windows.

Thanks, I'll try malware scan.

Using IE7, tried FF last week and couldn't get to google either using it.

Before you start MWB, go into safe mode using the networking option and try using the toolbar in IE7 or FF.

If it still doesn't work, then try the MWB.

Regardless, use MWB in safe mode. It can't do it's job in standard mode.

What are you using for virus/mw protection?

I disagree with several things in this post.

1) Malware is a very broad term which can include virus, spyware, rootkits, trojans, worms, key loggers, etc. Any malicious software. However, in the common usage anti-virus and anti-malware are not used interchangeably. Anti-virus software typically works very well to protect and scan against the virus specific subset of malware. Anti-malware software is targeted at everything else. The methods of detection are different. While it's true that a good package should scan for both, I have found in my experience that you are often better served having two specialized products rather than hoping one will catch everything.

2) No program will catch everything. No matter how hard you try, something may slip through.

3) There are several free programs that are superior to any pay software. AntiVir for virus scanning and Malwarebytes for Anti-Malware scanning are the first two that jump to mind. In both cases, you can also pay for "pro" versions if you really feel you must pay for software.

4) When something does manage to slip through, you may very well need to try several different programs to get cleaned up, along with specialized utilities like rkill, combofix, or hijackthis. Many of the malware programs are very good at hiding themselves from scanners, disabling scanners, or other methods to avoid detection. Frequently this requires a multi-pronged attack to recover. In some cases you may even need to go as far as booting from a Bart PE disc such as an Ultimate Windows Boot Disc, which can load and scan the registry hives on the infected disc.

If you spend as much time as I do cleaning up other peoples messes, you'd realize how inaccurate your assessment of the process and software required is.

This is really good info here, thanks for clarifying! Now that you mention it, I certainly agree with you on most parts.

Regarding #3, you are referring to PC antivirus tools, correct? I own two Macs and usually also own a PC desktop computer, but my latest PC has died on me so I need to get another one. On my PC, I used PC Tools Spyware Doctor with antivirus. Not sure if anyone else has experience with this software, but it seemed to do the trick for me. Should have I used two antivirus programs on my PC before it died? Perhaps. At one point I used Norton and Spyware Doctor... And I do agree, the result was excellent security.

On my Mac, I use Intego VirusBarrier X6. It is far better than any other security software (including free) that I've tried. If I'm not mistaken, Intego is also the only antivirus company focusing solely on protecting Apple products, which I think is important for credibility -- especially if I'm going to use an anti-malware product on any of my Macs or iOS devices. In this case, I don't think using two antivirus products will provide the extra benefits you are suggesting.

First thing which always comes to mind for me is the hosts or lmhosts file(s). Supposed to be more difficult to change in Win $even than XP. Could be a setting in Internet Options as well.

Sounds like you have something bad though. You could also try Trendmicro online / free scan. I have Avast (free) on all my PCs. Nothing substitutes for good judgement when clicking links, though...

"Have you tried rebooting yet..."

ETA: can you get to this site: http://proxify.com/

Edited by lennykravitz2004

This is really good info here, thanks for clarifying! Now that you mention it, I certainly agree with you on most parts.

Regarding #3, you are referring to PC antivirus tools, correct? I own two Macs and usually also own a PC desktop computer, but my latest PC has died on me so I need to get another one. On my PC, I used PC Tools Spyware Doctor with antivirus. Not sure if anyone else has experience with this software, but it seemed to do the trick for me. Should have I used two antivirus programs on my PC before it died? Perhaps. At one point I used Norton and Spyware Doctor... And I do agree, the result was excellent security.

On my Mac, I use Intego VirusBarrier X6. It is far better than any other security software (including free) that I've tried. If I'm not mistaken, Intego is also the only antivirus company focusing solely on protecting Apple products, which I think is important for credibility -- especially if I'm going to use an anti-malware product on any of my Macs or iOS devices. In this case, I don't think using two antivirus products will provide the extra benefits you are suggesting.

I can't speak to Macs. Never use them. I've been a pc guy going back to DOS days (even used CP/M a little)

On the PC side, never use two "anti-virus" programs at the same time. I mean specifically programs that are listed as anti-virus. They will conflict and cause more harm than good. However, a good antivirus specific program along with a good anti-malware program works well.

I can't speak to Macs. Never use them. I've been a pc guy going back to DOS days (even used CP/M a little)

On the PC side, never use two "anti-virus" programs at the same time. I mean specifically programs that are listed as anti-virus. They will conflict and cause more harm than good. However, a good antivirus specific program along with a good anti-malware program works well.

Yep, that makes sense. The duo setup I had going on my PC was an antivirus and an anti-spyware working together. I'm pretty sure if you run two antivirus at the same time they end up just fighting each other until they both no longer work, or your computer.

Nope

Sounds to me like you've (at a minimum) got some malware, maybe a virus. Try the Trendmicro link I posted above, and run their Housecall app (free). Run some of the other suggested ones from the other Huddlers as well. Housecall may ask to run on your machine. If you can't get to the Housecall site... hmmmm.

After you run these keep an eye out for any pop-ups, and if they start saying your PC is infected and show a "scan" happening... then it may be time to get some professional help (i.e. geek squad or the like) if you're not comfortable spending a few hours removing all the garbage which is someplace on your PC. Could also be a "hijacked browser", which is...

:tup:

What is browser hijacking?

Browser hijacking is a type of online fraud. Scammers use malicious software to take control of your computer's Internet browser and change how and what it displays when you're surfing the web.

How do I know if my browser has been hijacked?

Home page or other settings change on your computer. Links are added that point to websites that you'd usually avoid.

You can't navigate to certain web pages, such as antispyware and other security software sites.

A seemingly endless barrage of ads pops up on your screen.

New toolbars or Favorites are installed that give you icons and links to web pages that you don't want.

Your computer runs sluggishly. Malicious software can slow down your computer.

For more information, see Fix your hijacked web browser.

And here's what M$FT says to try and fix...

The following six tips can help restore your browser's settings:

Stop cascading pop-up windows. If endless pop-up windows appear on your screen, you'll probably want to stop them first. To do this in Microsoft Windows 7, Windows Vista, Windows XP, or Windows 2000 while using Internet Explorer:

Press CTRL+ALT+DEL, click Task Manager, and then click the Processes tab.

Click IEXPLORE.EXE, and then click the End Process button.

This closes all instances of Internet Explorer. Then you can re-open the program to continue browsing as usual. To help prevent future attacks, you should also have a pop-up blocker turned on. The pop-up blocker is turned on by default.

To confirm that the pop-up blocker is on in Internet Explorer 9 click the gear icon and point to Internet Options. Click the Privacy tab and make sure the box is checked next to Turn on Pop-up Blocker.

If you still experience the other effects of a hijacked web browser, try the following:

Install Microsoft Security Essentials or another antivirus and antispyware program. Microsoft Security Essentials is free software that will help protect your computer from malicious software such as viruses or spyware. Many browser hijacking programs can be identified and removed by downloading, installing, and running Microsoft Security Essentials or a similar tool.

Reset Internet Explorer settings. If you're using Internet Explorer and your home page has been changed, you can often reset it yourself.

Note If you use Microsoft Security Essentials, Forefront Client Security, Windows Defender, or the Windows Malicious Software Removal Tool and these tools have detected and removed hijacking software from your computer, these tools might change your home page and your search page to help protect against the malicious software.

For more information and step-by-step instructions, see Why is this now your home page? Why are you on this page?.

Disable add-ons. Many browser hijackings come from add-ons, also known as ActiveX controls, browser extensions, browser helper objects, or toolbars. These items can improve your experience on a website by providing multimedia or interactive content, such as animations. However, some add-ons can cause your computer to stop responding or display content that you don't want, such as pop-up ads. Internet Explorer 9 warns you in the notification area of your browser if an add-on is slowing your computer down. You can also view the add-ons that you already have installed and disable the add-ons that you don't want by clicking the gear icon, and then clicking Manage Add-ons.

To learn how to disable add-ons with Internet Explorer 7 or Internet Explorer 8, read How do browser add-ons affect my computer?

Get more help. If these solutions don't work for your specific problem, you can get help through Microsoft support or enter your Zip Code to find a local expert.

(I like how they say "These six tips...", yet how many did they list? :wacko:

FWIW, I just finished spending the day going toe to toe with a virus. Not kidding, this one actually fought back. It started as the OpenCloud Security virus but went far beyond that. In addition to jacking all my browsers via a proxy server so I couldn't find answers to this thing, It also wouldn't let me start any programs, claiming they were "infected". Whenever I tried a scan with one of the many AV/AS/Malware programs I have installed, it would automatically terminate them and then disable them from starting. Oh, and it installed a Rootkit into my Tcp/Ip stack so that you couldn't find it and just whack the offending files and registry entries. Very nasty. It finally took a tool called ComboFix to root the thing out. Warning:don't use this tool until you've exhausted all other options.

FWIW, I just finished spending the day going toe to toe with a virus. Not kidding, this one actually fought back. It started as the OpenCloud Security virus but went far beyond that. In addition to jacking all my browsers via a proxy server so I couldn't find answers to this thing, It also wouldn't let me start any programs, claiming they were "infected". Whenever I tried a scan with one of the many AV/AS/Malware programs I have installed, it would automatically terminate them and then disable them from starting. Oh, and it installed a Rootkit into my Tcp/Ip stack so that you couldn't find it and just whack the offending files and registry entries. Very nasty. It finally took a tool called ComboFix to root the thing out. Warning:don't use this tool until you've exhausted all other options.

:wacko: ...Why not?

Edited by TheGrunt

:wacko: ...Why not?

Because it is VERY aggressive and will remove a lot of files, perhaps some you didn't want removed. It wipes everything in your internet cache, recycle bin and several other places. You cannot touch the machine while it is doing it's work. Clicking on the window it is working in can freeze the application causing bad things to happen like not being able to boot. Its output is all command line and it spends a large amount of time doing stuff without giving any updates so you are very tempted to try and intervene. It requires that the Windows recovery console be downloaded and installed before it can do its job. It needs to be run in safe mode w/networking and every time you reboot you need to make sure that it re-enters the same mode. Since it could reboot several times depending on what it finds, you have to sit and babysit while it runs.