[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Snowblowers?

Furd

Here are the top five two-stage snowblowers according to Consumer Reports:

1.Troy-Bilt Storm 3090 XP 31AH55Q $1,100

2. Yard Machines 31AH65FH $1,000

3 .Craftsman 88830 $1,130

4. Ariens 921022 $1,000

5. John Deere 1028E . $1,300

Surprising to me is that the two Honda models they tested came in at 19th and 20th out of 30 models. And they were each $2,500 :wacko:

My budget was not anywhere near $1000, so I didn't look at those models. In the $500 to $750 range I did take a look at the Troy Built, and I was not impressed. It was underpowered, had way too many plastic parts and I could not find out what engine it used. The Lowes guy didn't know either. I went to Sears, same thing, except the sales guy swore the Craftsman engine was US made... it isn't it's also made in Bejing, and FWIW, so are the Honda engines. The Craftsman is made by a company named MTD or something like that.

As far as the on line reviews I found, the Craftsmans did very poorly with a high return rate. I probably read 200 plus reviews before I bought the Sno-Tek. I don't know much about Yard Machines other than the fact that the Yard Machine mowers HD sells are total suckitude. Might be a 50% return rate. They are extremely cheap in price, performance and reliability. I don't know if JD has anything at my price point.

The early 2008 Sno-Teks had a few problems, but have been corrected from what I have read. One problem was a plastic linkage for the throttle, which is now steel. The reviews from last year are invariably 4 to 5 stars. That was what made me chose a Sno-Tek, that and direct feedback from customers in the store. In fact out of maybe 75 reviews, only one person was unhappy... seems his wheel locking pin was missing. The LCT engine is an American design, and not a Honda clone but much more like a Honda than a Briggs. All of these engines are now made in Bejing.

CR sometimes makes me scratch my head. They love the Toro power shovel. That thing is only good for small snowfalls, it won't throw snow very far and will only be good for situations that one can almost as easilly clear with a shovel. Might be good for the old folks with a bad ticker, but... I think they should break their ratings down into price points. $200 to $500, 500 to 1000, 1000 and up. I doubt they tested the Sno-Teks, and did they even mentioin that the top Ariens units have a far superior gear box over every other blower? Cast iron allows them to offer a 5 year warantee, the only one to do so. Even my Sno-Tek only has a 2 year on the aluminum gear box, like all the others.

As far as the on line reviews I found, the Craftsmans did very poorly with a high return rate. I probably read 200 plus reviews before I bought the Sno-Tek.

Amusingly enough, I just bought a Craftsman (#88970 for about $740) about a month ago. I was strongly considering buying a Sno-Tek, but I found some reviews that scared me off, so I went off of CR's reviews (associated with other reviews posted online).

Let's hope that we both end up happy with our purchases. :wacko:

Craftsman lawn and garden products suck balls. Sorry Wiegie, you might as well return that POS now and save yourself the trouble.

i have a crapsman riding mower that is 25 years old and i have never changed the oil in it and have never had to replace anything but blades. :wacko:

Amusingly enough, I just bought a Craftsman (#88970 for about $740) about a month ago. I was strongly considering buying a Sno-Tek, but I found some reviews that scared me off, so I went off of CR's reviews (associated with other reviews posted online).

Let's hope that we both end up happy with our purchases. :wacko:

I hope that Craftsman gives you years of reliable service! Curious where you found any negative reviews on the Sno-Tek.... I saw some complaints about traction, but in both cases they didn't read the manual, they only had one wheel engaged (easier turning) instead of two (better traction), they didn't read the manual. Then there were a couple of older reviews re the throttle linkage, which was improved. I could'nt find a negative review from the 2010 season at all.

The LCT engine has gotten great reviews as well, including from dealers. I think the LTC may be better than a Briggs based on what I read.

I still have my 36 inch commercial mower (needs some repair) and have been using my old 21" Craftsman.... dissappointing. It doesn't scarf up leaves worth a darn. The cut quality isn't good. I need to get the big mower fixed, it doesn't leave a single leaf behind in one pass, while the Craftsman doesn't get them all in two passes. Poor lift, poor deck design.

Best of luck with that new blower.

To contribute to a hijacking...

We are looking to pick up some Kohler products for the bathroom. I'm looking at the Home Depot website when the wife tells me that her brother-in-law (in the heating and cooling business) can get us those types of things at a good price. We learn that, apparently, Kohler provides cheaper products, with "plastic parts," exclusively to Home Depot.

:wacko:

We are looking to pick up some Kohler products for the bathroom. I'm looking at the Home Depot website when the wife tells me that her brother-in-law (in the heating and cooling business) can get us those types of things at a good price. We learn that, apparently, Kohler provides cheaper products, with "plastic parts," exclusively to Home Depot.

Hmmm.... I bought a Moen at HD with it's "lifetime garantee", and sure, they will replace the 69 cent plastic parts forever, if you are willing to disassble you kitchen faucet once a year. Then I bought a Kohler from HD... same crap. Piece of chit.

Sad to say, but many retailers do indeed get goods special made to their desired price points. I don't know specifically who does it with what products, but I've heard enough from peopel in different businesses to beleive it's true.

My brother works for Nestle and they make special codes for Walmart and others. They are indeed lesser products than similarly packaged items at other stores.

FWIW, I've had miserable luck with bathroom fixtures from HD and Lowes. Bought smilar units from local plumber supply store - perfect. :tup:

Caveat emptor.

First let me state I don't know a damn thing about snow blowers. What I do know is that I would never buy a plumbing or electrical fixture from a box store. I'll either go to the plumbing supply yard, or the electric supply yard. The box stores definitely have their own spec for fixtures. They will even use the same part number as what you get at the supply houses, but if you put the fixtures side by side, you can see the difference. I've rejected at least 5 toilets and easily 20 light fixtures over the years where someone screwed up on an order and thought they would just pick up the item at one of the box stores. If you know what you are looking for, and have seen a lot of the "real" product, it is pretty easy to see the difference.

• 4 weeks later...