[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Scoring Set-up

i_am_the_swammi

What Scoring System does your main league use?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. Describe your scoring:

• TD only
    • TD + yardage bonuses (i.e 3 pts for 100 yards)
    • TD + 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving
    • TD + .1 point for every yard rushing/receiving
    • yardage scroing only; no TDs

aren't these...

TD + 1 point for every 10 yards rushing/receiving

TD + .1 point for every yard rushing/receiving

...the same?

or are you asking about fractional scoring?

yes, the difference between the two is the use of fraction scoring

For instance, if an RB rushed for 19 yards, he'd get only 1 point in the bolded scoring system above, or he'd get 1.9 in the other.

The only reasons I can see to use whole numbers is tradition, realism, or ignorance. Other than that, why else would you want to have a tie if you can determine that things aren't completely even?

I know it definitely used to drive me crazy when I'd lose because guys had 7-9 yards that I got no credit for. I guess to each his own, because performance scoring can be fun trying to hit the thresholds you have to meet, but it's a far more accurate measure of a player's contributions to use decimal scoring rather than an extremely arbitrary threshold of 10 (I mean, it's not like 100 yards where it's somewhat of a benchmark. It's 10 freaking yards, so I don't see any reason why it should be rewarded a full point over 9).

We even do it for kickers in several leagues, where it's .1 per yard over 30, and another one that's brutal for kicker scoring with .1 per yard from anywhere... There's something I don't like about getting 2.2 points for a FG that nets the team 3.

But really the fact that decimal scoring prevents ties should be reason enough in itself.

The only reasons I can see to use whole numbers is tradition, realism, or ignorance. Other than that, why else would you want to have a tie if you can determine that things aren't completely even?

I know it definitely used to drive me crazy when I'd lose because guys had 7-9 yards that I got no credit for. I guess to each his own, because performance scoring can be fun trying to hit the thresholds you have to meet, but it's a far more accurate measure of a player's contributions to use decimal scoring rather than an extremely arbitrary threshold of 10 (I mean, it's not like 100 yards where it's somewhat of a benchmark. It's 10 freaking yards, so I don't see any reason why it should be rewarded a full point over 9).

We even do it for kickers in several leagues, where it's .1 per yard over 30, and another one that's brutal for kicker scoring with .1 per yard from anywhere... There's something I don't like about getting 2.2 points for a FG that nets the team 3.

But really the fact that decimal scoring prevents ties should be reason enough in itself.

I've been in a 14-team redraft since 2005. It's my only CBS Sportsline league, and we don't use decimal scoring (all my MFL leagues do). I brought it up to the commissioner every year for the first two or three seasons, but I gave up because he won't budge. It's one point per 10 yards, so, technically, a player could have one run for nine yards, one catch for nine yards but get credit only for the catch (it's PPR), versus 2.8 points in decimal scoring. It's annoying.

I've been in a 14-team redraft since 2005. It's my only CBS Sportsline league, and we don't use decimal scoring (all my MFL leagues do). I brought it up to the commissioner every year for the first two or three seasons, but I gave up because he won't budge. It's one point per 10 yards, so, technically, a player could have one run for nine yards, one catch for nine yards but get credit only for the catch (it's PPR), versus 2.8 points in decimal scoring. It's annoying.

The same way in my main league (14-team since 1991) only we get bonuses at every 50 yds (+3 pts) rushing OR receiving (yes, I'm the lone vote in the poll). F'n annoys me to no end but every year decimal scoring gets shot down (I use it in my 2 other leagues).

Edited by The Next Generation

My league doesn't use decimal scoring. We get 1 point for each passing yard and two points for each rushing/rec yard. And points are deducted for passing/rushing attempts and receptions.

We've never had a tie. We have had a game decided by 1 point. :tup:

You subtract for receptions? :wacko: Many leagues add for them, with the abbrevation PPR for point per reception.

My league doesn't use decimal scoring. We get 1 point for each passing yard and two points for each rushing/rec yard. And points are deducted for passing/rushing attempts and receptions.

We've never had a tie. We have had a game decided by 1 point. :wacko:

Which is essentially the same as decimal scoring....in essence, you are awarding a point increment for each yard gained, versus a point for every 10 (or 100) yards. The concepts are the same.

You subtract for receptions? :wacko: Many leagues add for them, with the abbrevation PPR for point per reception.

I'm guessing it maybe so that the ones who do more with less touches get rewarded more maybe? Either that or a typo you'd think...

But 1 point per QB yard, and 2 for RB/WR yards, WOW, your top weekly scores must be over a thousand. I'm curious now, what are TD's and other categories worth?

Edited by delusions of granduer

I'm co commish of my long time (almost 20 year) local league. We have discussed decimal scoring a few times. The majority of the owners are against it for various reaons so we haven't implemented it. Some are afraid of change. Some worry about agonizing over that 1 or 2 yard change on MNF game when their QB takes a knee, or the RB is dropped for a loss.

Oh, and we had our first tie of the season last night. I've explained that decimal scoring will all but eliminate ties, but most people don't care.

Yep. The whole point of PPR was to catch WR's up with RB's. This was back when many more teams had backs getting 25 touches a game and passing was way, way down.

The problem is that PPR (for me) is two-fold. On a macro level, it boosts the value of certain RBs disproportionally that happen to be involved more in the passing game. On a micro level, it rewards points for a play regardless of whether the play was successful. In other words, a reception for -2 yards is a bad play. The receiving player would have been better off not catching the pass and letting it fall incomplete. With standard PPR, a -2 yard reception is worth 1 point and not catching it is worth 0 points. And that doesn't work for me.

Subtracting points for attempts accomplishes what PPR was originally set out to do. It harnesses RB scoring in relation to WR scoring because backs are given more chances. It also is kinder to more efficient players, which is a personal preference I like. In other words, if player A has 30 carries for 96 yards (a la Lance Ball this past week), it's worth fewer points than player B that had 22 carries for 96 yards (a la Michael Turner this past week). Everyone obviously has their personal preference and some may say 96 yards is 96 yards. I think efficiency and yards-per-carry should play a role in my scoring, so that's how I set it up.

And yes, it's basically decimal scoring without the decimals. :tup:

Yep. The whole point of PPR was to catch WR's up with RB's. This was back when many more teams had backs getting 25 touches a game and passing was way, way down.

The problem is that PPR (for me) is two-fold. On a macro level, it boosts the value of certain RBs disproportionally that happen to be involved more in the passing game. On a micro level, it rewards points for a play regardless of whether the play was successful. In other words, a reception for -2 yards is a bad play. The receiving player would have been better off not catching the pass and letting it fall incomplete. With standard PPR, a -2 yard reception is worth 1 point and not catching it is worth 0 points. And that doesn't work for me.

Subtracting points for attempts accomplishes what PPR was originally set out to do. It harnesses RB scoring in relation to WR scoring because backs are given more chances. It also is kinder to more efficient players, which is a personal preference I like. In other words, if player A has 30 carries for 96 yards (a la Lance Ball this past week), it's worth fewer points than player B that had 22 carries for 96 yards (a la Michael Turner this past week). Everyone obviously has their personal preference and some may say 96 yards is 96 yards. I think efficiency and yards-per-carry should play a role in my scoring, so that's how I set it up.

And yes, it's basically decimal scoring without the decimals. :wacko:

One thing though, negative yards count against the total so the player is actually losing points (fraction of points or yards toward that next point/10 yards) by catching the pass for -2 yards.

We don't do PPR either (again just too many owners who don't want/like change). But negative yards do have consequences. Anybody do negative points if yardage rushing/receiving is actually negative?

I'm guessing it maybe so that the ones who do more with less touches get rewarded more maybe? Either that or a typo you'd think...

But 1 point per QB yard, and 2 for RB/WR yards, WOW, your top weekly scores must be over a thousand. I'm curious now, what are TD's and other categories worth?

Yes, the average score is about 1,450 (9 starters, 1 QB, 2 RB, 3 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, 1 DEF)

TD's start at 30 points for QBs and 70 points for RB/WRs. But we have incremental bonuses for distances. Quarterbacks lose points for attempts but can gain a bit back with completions.

The biggest "downside" to the scoring system is that it's much harder to compute scores in your head. I know a lot of people like simplicity. It took some getting used to for the couple owners we've added over the last decade, but the league is pretty happy with the system overall. As the NFL has changed to a more pass friendly system, we've had to tweak things. It's actually a scoring system I adapted from one of those salary-leagues CNN/SI did WAY back in 1999.

I know it probably sounds really bizarre. But we like it.