[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Best Buy

Skilly

I've not had a bad experience with Best Buy, then again I've not purchased any thing from them in years. Brookstone, on the other hand, will never see another dollar of my money after last year when two gifts I bought for my parents (ordered them the first week of December) arrived the second week of January and they double charged me for them. It then took them 3 weeks to sort the mess out and credit me back the double charges...

Why do people go to Best Buy?

here is my process when thinking of BBY:

Is it a small item, iPod charger, Xbox game, or a small ticket item? Walmart or Gamestop. Walmart if its a common item that everyone sells. GameStop if I need game advice picking something up as a gift.

If its an applicance, I am typically doing my research using Consumer reports, getting word of mouth from people around me, and then I go to BBY, Sears, or even a dent and scratch place if its a washer and dryer.

Movies? I dont buy them, but if you did, I would guess you go to BBY due to it being a recent release that Walmart doesnt have?

Tv --- Do research much like Appliance, go to Sears, Best Buy, etc until I get the right one at the right place. They didnt give me any service, prices were comparable so it was a coin toss and best buy was a closer location.

PCs -- I bought my wife a laptop there, but that was becuase it didnt need to be a state-of-the-art. I waited for a sale, and bought something I thought was cheap for the features (i3, 400Gig drive, 4 Gig). Honestly, now that I think about it, I guess I could have gone to Walmart.

Their "buyback" plan? Sounds like insurance-speak saying "You have no idea how to buy electronics for the long term, so we can help you swap out every so often. How often do you swap out a TV, DVD, or audio equipment? Once a year someone is boxing up their TV and selling it back to BBY? I doubt it.

I rarely ask anyone for answers, unless I cannot find a product line. "Where do you keep your business software? Thanks buddy thats all I need from you. Dont follow me".

Consumers are too saavy nowadays.

I think someone above mentioned them scaling back their stores, but even if BBY did that, what do they sell at that point? Same stuff, just less selection? My first thought is they need to find what sets them apart from Walmart and Amazon like their service their young knowledgable employees provide. They have to gain the consumers trust that they know what they are talking about, and then consumers will feel comfortable talking to them.

What else could BBY do that gives them competitive edge? Nothing. I give them two years before filing for bankruptcy.