[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Justin Blackmon

muck

I don't think any of those WRs you mentioned are close to Jones. Perhaps they saw a guy who was actually so impressive that White would ultimately be a compliment to him. And let's not pretend that Jones hasn't impressed. In an offense that included Gonzales, White, and Turner, Jones may have already emerged as the #1 threat.

I would wager the Falcons would consider themselves very, very lucky to land a player like Jones in any of the 5 picks they gave away.

Agreed. Players like Julio and AJ only come along every few years, and people can't even put a guy like Blackmon in their same class.... Also, note I didn't say there were no impact players, but no can't-miss immediate impact players like Julio, who did fill a huge need of explosiveness.

We knew he was a beast athletically, but the way the kid can burn secondaries like it's nothing, the kid is just special... The scary thing is going to be when he gets over the concentration issues and the drops, and him and Ryan start connecting on the end-zone fades too. The Falcons really haven't even tapped into the absurd Calvin Johnson like

on the 6-4 kid...

As for Blackmon, I don't know that I agree with the Rams taking him #2, because it's not just a matter of best player at biggest need. If there are better players at other positions, sometimes you flat out have to take the clearcut BPA over biggest need, or consider trading back to more appropriate value, if others are highly liekly to take studs at other positions first... Maybe the fact that it's really only Blackmon and Floyd in that top-tier, with him being the clearcut best makes him an easy top 10 pick, but I think you could get some better value by trading back a few spots, with there likely being more "can't pass" players at other positions that go thin with elite talent.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Agreed. Players like Julio and AJ only come along every few years, and people can't even put a guy like Blackmon in their same class.... Also, note I didn't say there were no impact players, but no can't-miss immediate impact players like Julio, who did fill a huge need of explosiveness.

We knew he was a beast athletically, but the way the kid can burn secondaries like it's nothing, the kid is just special... The scary thing is going to be when he gets over the concentration issues and the drops, and him and Ryan start connecting on the end-zone fades too. The Falcons really haven't even tapped into the absurd Calvin Johnson like

on the 6-4 kid...

As for Blackmon, I don't know that I agree with the Rams taking him #2, because it's not just a matter of best player at biggest need. If there are better players at other positions, sometimes you flat out have to take the clearcut BPA over biggest need, or consider trading back to more appropriate value, if others are highly liekly to take studs at other positions first... Maybe the fact that it's really only Blackmon and Floyd in that top-tier, with him being the clearcut best makes him an easy top 10 pick, but I think you could get some better value by trading back a few spots, with there likely being more "can't pass" players at other positions that go thin with elite talent.

Without taking anything away from Blackmon, because I never saw him play until the other night, but I don't get what anyone saw in that game in particular that would make you go "wow". On his 1st TD, he was running free down the middle of the field. He did beast one guy off him for his 2nd, and on his third, there was, once again, horrible coverage.

That's not a knock on Blackmon. Rather, that it wasn't like he was just jumping over fools and grabbing balls that he had no business bringing down. He was just catching very catchable passes when coverage wasn't really all that great.

And, again, I'm not saying he's not the real deal, rather that you couldn't get that just watching the Stanford game.

Players like Julio and AJ only come along every few years, and people can't even put a guy like Blackmon in their same class....

Wow... have you watched Blackmon play? To say he's not even in the same class... have to disagree here. Blackmon has flat out dominated. Jones frankly, did not dominate and there were more question marks about him coming out than Blackmon. Maybe there's a degree of SEC vs. Big-12 thing here, or offensive scheme, or whatever. Blackmon is a clear leader and has crazy physical tools. I see a faster, shorter, T.O. with a better outlook on team.

Jones has had a stellar rookie season, but how can you say Blackmon isn't in his class? Because he's not as tall?? Because Blackmon catches the ball better???

Without taking anything away from Blackmon, because I never saw him play until the other night, but I don't get what anyone saw in that game in particular that would make you go "wow". On his 1st TD, he was running free down the middle of the field. He did beast one guy off him for his 2nd, and on his third, there was, once again, horrible coverage.

That's not a knock on Blackmon. Rather, that it wasn't like he was just jumping over fools and grabbing balls that he had no business bringing down. He was just catching very catchable passes when coverage wasn't really all that great.

And, again, I'm not saying he's not the real deal, rather that you couldn't get that just watching the Stanford game.

:wacko:

Well, figures. Point / Counterpoint

Wow... have you watched Blackmon play? To say he's not even in the same class... have to disagree here. Blackmon has flat out dominated. Jones frankly, did not dominate and there were more question marks about him coming out than Blackmon. Maybe there's a degree of SEC vs. Big-12 thing here, or offensive scheme, or whatever. Blackmon is a clear leader and has crazy physical tools. I see a faster, shorter, T.O. with a better outlook on team.

Jones has had a stellar rookie season, but how can you say Blackmon isn't in his class? Because he's not as tall?? Because Blackmon catches the ball better???

To be fair, I haven't watched Blackmon nearly as much as I had Julio and AJ, to be able to be definitive in that call, but it is a fairly common perception that AJ and Julio are the types of WRs that only come along every few years, while most are hesitant to quite put Blackmon in that same category. AJ might be the most prototypical WR imaginable, and Julio's measurables are just off the charts with the size, speed and leaping ability.

That's not a knock on Blackmon, because very few can be considered as such a big game changer a la Randy Moss, Larry Fitz and Calvin Johnson, like I feel these 2 have the upside to be right up there with... I would say that Blackmon will probably come in much less raw than Julio, who will continue to take some time to live up to his hugh upside, but it's the fact that these are giant guys who can still do the same things Blackmon can and more, so until Blackmon shows me otherwise, I just don't think he has quite the upside... I could definitely be wrong though, when the Steve Smiths of the world show that build isn't the only thing that makes a great receiver. He's just going to have to do more to make up for it to be compared with those 2 freaks, IMO.

(ETA: and no, Alabama isn't really known for developing and relying too heavily on QBs and WRs. But to me, it's more about the canvas you're working with, than how much they dominated in college, though that does inspire confidence in Blackmon)

Edited by delusions of granduer

Woods was flat out uncoverable at OSU and put up numbers there every bit as eye-popping as Blackmon has.

woods was 2 inches taller and probably 20 pounds lighter. he was a very fast guy and could get up there in college, but didn't have an NFL build. also woods injured his hand and never fully rehabbed. might be on woods there, or might have been one of those things.

My take on Blackmon from a Dynasty perspective.

Before the NFL draft, I have him 1.1 in PPR leagues. Not a big fan of tipping my hand in Dynasty leagues but I have no chance of moving up high enough to get him this year.

Last year, I moved into 1.3 of my 14 team IDP thinking/hoping he would declare and was devastated when he didn't come out as I had him 1.2 over Jones. I still have him ranked higher from a pure talent perspective just behind Green.

I have watched almost all of his games and all available video on this player.

My take is once the serious player really evaluates him all will quickly see his talent leaps off the screen.

Everyone evaluates talent a bit differently but just 4 factors I look at are ability to beat press coverage, 10 yard split times, catch hands/radius, and skill when going against top tier talent. Go find some video last year of when he played against Nebraska. He absolutely owned Prince Amukamara. His second gear and hand positioning qualities are through the roof good.

He is almost uncover-able even against the best DB's the NFL has to offer. His only knock last year was quickness off the line but on film he plays extremely fast. I will be anxious to see his 10 yard split times but my guess is they will be elite. He looks like a faster version of Dez Bryant with an elite motor.

The only concern was a DUI arrest but he looks to have moved past this issue.

Main reason I have him 1.1 in a PPR over any RB is lifespan and the fact the NFL is rapidly going to system backs on all teams so long term value at RB is high risk compared to elite WR's.

He plays much bigger than his size and has great power. Looks to have top 5 WR potential within 3 years at the NFL level as he has zero fear and can run crisp routes at all levels.

Major Beast IMO. In my two highly competitive dynasty leagues he is a lock to go 1.1 in one and probably 1.2 in the other.

He is worth much study before you discount him as a top pick in dynasty PPR drafts.

Edited by Ice1

My take on Blackmon from a Dynasty perspective.

Before the NFL draft, I have him 1.1 in PPR leagues. Not a big fan of tipping my hand in Dynasty leagues but I have no chance of moving up high enough to get him this year.

Last year, I moved into 1.3 of my 14 team IDP thinking/hoping he would declare and was devastated when he didn't come out as I had him 1.2 over Jones. I still have him ranked higher from a pure talent perspective just behind Green.

I have watched almost all of his games and all available video on this player.

My take is once the serious player really evaluates him all will quickly see his talent leaps off the screen.

Everyone evaluates talent a bit differently but just 4 factors I look at are ability to beat press coverage, 10 yard split times, catch hands/radius, and skill when going against top tier talent. Go find some video last year of when he played against Nebraska. He absolutely owned Prince Amukamara. His second gear and hand positioning qualities are through the roof good.

He is almost uncover-able even against the best DB's the NFL has to offer. His only knock last year was quickness off the line but on film he plays extremely fast. I will be anxious to see his 10 yard split times but my guess is they will be elite. He looks like a faster version of Dez Bryant with an elite motor.

The only concern was a DUI arrest but he looks to have moved past this issue.

Main reason I have him 1.1 in a PPR over any RB is lifespan and the fact the NFL is rapidly going to system backs on all teams so long term value at RB is high risk compared to elite WR's.

He plays much bigger than his size and has great power. Looks to have top 5 WR potential within 3 years at the NFL level as he has zero fear and can run crisp routes at all levels.

Major Beast IMO. In my two highly competitive dynasty leagues he is a lock to go 1.1 in one and probably 1.2 in the other.

He is worth much study before you discount him as a top pick in dynasty PPR drafts.

:wacko:

Nicely done. And welcome to the Huddle.