[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Electronics fanatics

rajncajn

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought they used RG-11 to get into the house then used RG6Q. RG11 is overkill.

Yeah, I just got laughed at by the guy at the electronics store. :wacko:

He told me the RG-6 is perfectly fine for in the house & that the RG-6Q isn't worth the pain in the ass it is to work with. He said basically the same thing you did that the runs I have weren't enough to warrant it unless I lived near a tower, power lines or something of the like that might affect the signal. He also said the heat won't affect it either.

He told me the RG-6 is perfectly fine for in the house & that the RG-6Q isn't worth the pain in the ass it is to work with. He said basically the same thing you did that the runs I have weren't enough to warrant it unless I lived near a tower, power lines or something of the like that might affect the signal. He also said the heat won't affect it either.

I was raised under power lines...

If you need help terminating RG6 let me know. It's super easy.

Avoid crimping and use compression

It's good to know people who run this kinda stuff on the side. A friend of mine just gave me the length I needed of the RG-6Q. I got the better cable anyway & free of charge. :wacko:

Edited by rajncajn

Got all my cables run. Went pretty easily other than the fact that my attic is so full of chit it was a pain to get to to the joist holes and the dumbass that ran the old line ran it across the studs so that the drywall was holding it down. Not sure how the hell he did that. :wacko: he also ran it down alongside a power run, which I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do either. All is fixed and ready to rip now. :tup:

Got all my cables run. Went pretty easily other than the fact that my attic is so full of chit it was a pain to get to to the joist holes and the dumbass that ran the old line ran it across the studs so that the drywall was holding it down. Not sure how the hell he did that. :wacko: he also ran it down alongside a power run, which I'm pretty sure you're not supposed to do either. All is fixed and ready to rip now. :tup:

It's best to avoid running any low volatage cable next to a line voltage cable, especially if the line voltage is not shielded. Coax is pretty resistant to interference, but I would have seperated them just in case.

Glad it worked out