[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

you've gotta love the UN

polksalet

An organization that proves that in groups of nations, just as with groups of people, the group is dragged towards the positions of the basest among the group, not lifted towards the loftiest. Though the original goal was lofty the practice has been to debase reason nd decency while savages of low intelect and no principals have repeatedly used it as a stage to blather and insult the very notions upon which it was founded. It has had the added detriment of imposing upon New Yorkers and Americans in general thugs, rapists, and congenital idiots who are sociopaths who have diplomatic immunity. It's time that another security council member hosts the organization for the next 70 years or so. With the 75th anniversary of the organization comming up it is time to hand the honor of hosting off to another. Time to raze the place and return that real estate to commercial development.

If they don't put the next facility in a security council nation's capital they should put it in Jerusalum.

Edited by Ditkaless Wonders

Two questions:

1. Why does the UN have any interest in tourism at all? How could they promote tourism for any place without detriment to any other place? Tourism by definition is a national and local responsibility. It is logically impossible for it to be a planet-wide responsibility unless the aim is to attract aliens.

2. Who could possibly think Robert Mugabe could represent anything beyond bankruptcy, murder and corruption?

• Like 1

Two questions:

1. Why does the UN have any interest in tourism at all? How could they promote tourism for any place without detriment to any other place? Tourism by definition is a national and local responsibility. It is logically impossible for it to be a planet-wide responsibility unless the aim is to attract aliens.

2. Who could possibly think Robert Mugabe could represent anything beyond bankruptcy, murder and corruption?

I'm not going to touch the 2nd question because I can't begin to understand the reasons for picking Mugabe. It is at once assinine as well as insulting to any free thinking person.

As for the first: Actually, I would think that it makes sense for a multi-nation group to encourage as much world travel as possible. More people going to more places, meeting the people there and putting faces to the cultures would seem like a good thing. So, I get that. In fact, at this point, I would like the UN so much more if all they were was a world-travel PR firm and didn't pretend to be more important than that.

Pinochet we always be remembered for his decorative work at the UN spring formal dance. :crazy:

Sidetrack here, but I've been meaning to discuss this since I got back from Chile in March. So, we had lunch with some reps from a winery and, eventually, the topic of Pinochet came up. Now, keep in mind, that winery execs in SA are certainly going to be among the "haves", so there's that, but these guys were actually rather complimentary about Pinochet. The funny thing is they said, "Well, it's not like he was as bad as Bush or anything." :lol: Which, I actually asked them to clarify because, while certainly no fan of Bush, I wouldn't exactly put him in the same category of what I was always lead to believe Pinochet fit.

Their issue with Bush, which fairly would be of nearly any US president, was his inclination to run around the world butting into other people's concerns. They were also quick to point out that, Pinochet's human rights record was better or no worse than many other South American leaders over the past decades that have gotten a free pass. That and the fact that they feel he left Chile in far better shape after his run than many other countries.

I honestly don't have an opinion on the matter as I was pretty young during the majority of his run. I only "know" what I was told, that he was a US-backed puppet dictator who had a bad habit of crapping all over his citizenry. I certainly didn't have enough credible ammo to get into it with these people, nor did I really have the inclination to do so since they were treating my wife and I to a lovely meal. I basically just sat there and listened, interested in what was certainly a perspective that was foreign to anything I'd ever been told before.

Sidetrack here, but I've been meaning to discuss this since I got back from Chile in March. So, we had lunch with some reps from a winery and, eventually, the topic of Pinochet came up. Now, keep in mind, that winery execs in SA are certainly going to be among the "haves", so there's that, but these guys were actually rather complimentary about Pinochet. The funny thing is they said, "Well, it's not like he was as bad as Bush or anything." :lol: Which, I actually asked them to clarify because, while certainly no fan of Bush, I wouldn't exactly put him in the same category of what I was always lead to believe Pinochet fit.

Their issue with Bush, which fairly would be of nearly any US president, was his inclination to run around the world butting into other people's concerns. They were also quick to point out that, Pinochet's human rights record was better or no worse than many other South American leaders over the past decades that have gotten a free pass. That and the fact that they feel he left Chile in far better shape after his run than many other countries.

I honestly don't have an opinion on the matter as I was pretty young during the majority of his run. I only "know" what I was told, that he was a US-backed puppet dictator who had a bad habit of crapping all over his citizenry. I certainly didn't have enough credible ammo to get into it with these people, nor did I really have the inclination to do so since they were treating my wife and I to a lovely meal. I basically just sat there and listened, interested in what was certainly a perspective that was foreign to anything I'd ever been told before.

So they really like their pinochet grigio down there in Chile huh?