[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Yeah, what happened sucks, but...

SEC=UGA

This dude really needs to go fu(k himself. It was his choice to sit in those seats...

The father of a girl who suffered brain injuries from a foul ball at an Atlanta Braves game is suing the team, saying it failed to provide proper protection to keep the accident from occurring. (Neither did you sitting that close to the field with a freaking 6 YO...)

The girl, who was 6 at the time, and her parents were sitting behind the visitor's dugout at Turner Field during an Aug. 30, 2010, game against the New York Mets when she was struck in the head by a foul ball "hit at an incredible rate of speed," the lawsuit said. (Ummm... yeah, incredible, like the same speed at which those balls are hit on a consistent basis)

Neither the girl's nor her father's names were disclosed in the lawsuit to protect the girl's privacy, the family's lawyer, Mike Moran (How convenient), said. The ball fractured the girl's skull, he said.

The suit, filed Monday in Fulton County State Court, seeks unspecified damages for the girl's pain and suffering, punitive damages and compensation for the family's medical expenses, which are expected to exceed $100,000. Other defendants named in the complaint include the Braves' owner, Liberty Media Corp., and Major League Baseball Enterprises.

Before the accident occurred, the parties knew they needed to protect spectators seated in high-risk areas of the ballpark, such as where the girl was seated, from foul balls and broken bats, the lawsuit said.

The Braves knew of the "dangerous and hazardous conditions" at the ballpark due to prior incidents where spectators in "high-risk areas" were injured by foul balls and broken bats, the suit said.

Beth Marshall, a spokeswoman for the Braves, did not have immediate comment. She said she was unaware of the lawsuit.

Braves' tickets include the warning: "The holder assumes all risk and danger incidental to the game of baseball, whether occurring prior to, during or subsequent to, the actual playing of the game, including specifically ... the danger of being injured by thrown or batted balls, thrown or broken bats."

The Braves also flash warnings on the scoreboard during games.

But Moran said young children would not necessarily get the message. (But, her parents, who, I'm guessing, are not complete idiots, are too damned stupid to realize that a six year old girl does not posses cat-like reflexes and the keen attention span required to dodge incredibly fast moving objects)

"It's a very very dangerous situation that can be easily remedied," Moran said Wednesday. "They can make it a safer place for the fans, in particular the children, who go to games. ... The easy remedy is to put up more netting." (The "easy remedy" is for the stupid ass parents to not sit that close to the action with a 6 yo child. That, or when they do sit that close, pay some attention to what is going on. Seriously, I see a foul ball coming at my daughter, I'm getting in the way.)

Moran said today's baseball games are much different than they were many years ago.

"The players are much stronger and bigger and the balls are hit harder than they ever were before," he said. "This was 2010, not 1910. ... The balls now travel so fast there is no way a child can get out of the way." (The parents NEVER experienced the speed of a game in 1910. I'm guessing they have been to a game in the past decade or so and have experienced those...)

Oh, yeah, I forgot to add... Fu(king idiots...

Edited by SEC=UGA

I have always been torn on this. I read how a guy took a puck in the mouth at a blackhawks game a few years ago and it was the same thing. The text on the ticket said that the team was not responsible. Seems kind of crappy I guess. How often does it happen? How much would it cost to take care of the injury - even a little? How easy would it be to make things a little safer?

I'm with SEC on this. I'd never take my kids to sit in seats like that. It's clearly not the fault of the Braves or MLB. Having said that, I can see how someone in this situation would want to blame someone else for their poor judgement resulting in their kid being maimed for life. I can't imagine how those parents feel. I'm not saying it's right, but pain can clearly cloud judgement.

I'm with SEC on this. I'd never take my kids to sit in seats like that. It's clearly not the fault of the Braves or MLB. Having said that, I can see how someone in this situation would want to blame someone else for their poor judgement resulting in their kid being maimed for life. I can't imagine how those parents feel. I'm not saying it's right, but pain can clearly cloud judgement.

I guess I can see it in baseball because you always see people catching balls, but I don't know if I would have considered that a frozen puck could come flying off the ice and take me out. I know that now, but if somebody would have invited me to a hockey game that would have been the furthest thing from my mind.

You kind of assume that a responsible business has things in place to prevent this. I guess it is too hard to do so, but ignorance does not always equal irresponsibility on the part of somebody getting hurt. This is not in regards to him paying or not paying, but him putting his daughter at risk. I honestlly couldn't say that this would have crossed my mind, but then, I have never been to a baseball game.

First of all,the 1910 to 2010 comparison is asinine. Balls have gone into the stands at the same speed ever since this family has been alive.

More importantly, couldn't there be some sort of in between? Is there some way the team('s insurance) could pay out medical bills automatically in this sort of situation without having the injured sue for more? Kind of a compromise on the back of the ticket that says, yeah, you might get injured by a hit ball, but we'll take care of the medical bills. It doesn't happen that often and rarely to the extent of $100,000+ medical bills. The teams could afford it, not to mention the good publicity.

I know, even if this was in place, somebody would still sue for pain and suffering.

Don't see how that case isn't immediately thrown out based on the disclaimer on the ticket. We all know when going to sporting events as spectators that there are dangers. I've been to many car and motorcycle races at various tracks and the dangers are real. A vehicle could go out of control, or parts from a broken vehicle could come flying into the spectator area.

Like most, I feel sorry for the people injured, but I don't think they should sue somebody when this happens.

Dutch,

A few years ago I believe a woman attending a Columbus Blue Jackets game was killed (or seriously injured) by a puck. Just like in most other stick/ball sports, the puck has a chance of coming into the stands. (Sure it is rare compared to baseball games.) A frozen piece of solid rubber at high speeds is a very dangerous thing. I hope anybody attending any type of event like this recognizes the dangers. Sure it sucks if you're injured, but expecting somebody else to pay for it, and suing everybody involved isn't right.

Chester,

Having the teams offer to pay for the injuries opens up a giant can of worms, and basically makes them responsible, probably making it easier to sue since they already admit some sort of responsibility.