[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Turner and Rodgers in the PPR Cheat Sheet

lawn saver

Can anyone shed any light on why the Huddle Staff has Rodgers ranked higher than Turner on the PPR cheat cheet?

I understand Turner doesnt get many passes, but I thought the cheat sheet still keeps where the player overall scoring value will end up at the end of the year.

Is the Huddle Staff saying Rodgers will end of out scoring Turner this year?

Any insight would be great.

Yes, it is based on their projections, and if you go to the player rankings, it will show you where those projections are being drawn from.

They had already had Quizz pegged as a sleeper, and with the Falcons passing attack looking dangerous and Turner doing nothing but running into the line this preseason, both of those factors stand to help Quizz, both to get more carries and be involved in a more passing-oriented offense.

As you'll notice Turner is still ranked higher in a non-PPR, but with them reducing his projected carries, yards and touchdowns, Quizz's number of passes is enough for him to slide ahead in PPR.

Do I completely buy this? Not sure, but I think their projections are fair... I still think that Turner will do his damage after wearing defenses down a bit and get enough goal-line carries to have value, but whether it's been the O-line or Turner this preseason, Quizz has been doing a lot more with his touches and is setting himself up for a bigger workload.

I think both carry a bit of risk/reward....

The reports on Michael Turner - I mean all of them - is that he has lost a step and looks slow. And that he doesn't seem to have the power he used to. The Falcons will use JR as a third down back and change of pace and who knows what else if Turner is less effective and Rodgers takes the step up that the coaches think he is capable of doing. And obviously change in PPR vs. Non-PPR are entirely related to the number of catches for each player.

The reports on Michael Turner - I mean all of them - is that he has lost a step and looks slow. And that he doesn't seem to have the power he used to. The Falcons will use JR as a third down back and change of pace and who knows what else if Turner is less effective and Rodgers takes the step up that the coaches think he is capable of doing. And obviously change in PPR vs. Non-PPR are entirely related to the number of catches for each player.

I have to wonder if the reports of Turner looking "slow" are all from those preseason games, because I wasn't the only one who thought he looked every bit as spry as always in training camp.

To play devil's advocate (since I agree that Turner's putrid performances are very concerning), but we've been hearing this "lost a step" talk for several years now, and yet Turner still tied for 3rd last year in carries over 20 yards with 11 (behind McCoy at 14 and Forte at 12). What I've seen is that he's lost that 3rd gear to take it to the house, but has no problems getting into the 2nd and 3rd levels quickly when you give him a hole. It's just that his days of making his own yardage might be waning, so he is going to need more help from the O-line than he's been getting. IMO, that was also a big part of Turner having far too many carries for little to no gain.

Another thing to note is that last preseason we saw similar putrid performances from Turner (7 for 14 yards, 7 for 19 yards), and as I said above, I think that partly has to do with Turner getting better as he gets more carries to wear down the defense and finally get some gaping holes to hit too.

And of course with teams being forced to defend against the passing attack, I don't see any way they can stack the box like they did in the past. All this means that I wouldn't completely write off Turner like people do every year, but the risk that he might not even be the top scoring back on his own team does need to be priced in of course, and I do think your projections for him are fair.

I have to wonder if the reports of Turner looking "slow" are all from those preseason games, because I wasn't the only one who thought he looked every bit as spry as always in training camp.

To play devil's advocate (since I agree that Turner's putrid performances are very concerning), but we've been hearing this "lost a step" talk for several years now, and yet Turner still tied for 3rd last year in carries over 20 yards with 11 (behind McCoy at 14 and Forte at 12). What I've seen is that he's lost that 3rd gear to take it to the house, but has no problems getting into the 2nd and 3rd levels quickly when you give him a hole. It's just that his days of making his own yardage might be waning, so he is going to need more help from the O-line than he's been getting. IMO, that was also a big part of Turner having far too many carries for little to no gain.

Another thing to note is that last preseason we saw similar putrid performances from Turner (7 for 14 yards, 7 for 19 yards), and as I said above, I think that partly has to do with Turner getting better as he gets more carries to wear down the defense and finally get some gaping holes to hit too.

And of course with teams being forced to defend against the passing attack, I don't see any way they can stack the box like they did in the past. All this means that I wouldn't completely write off Turner like people do every year, but the risk that he might not even be the top scoring back on his own team does need to be priced in of course, and I do think your projections for him are fair.

I haven't really heard this "lost a step" talk the past few years....I felt like I was one of the people trying to talk others out of drafting him..

Here is something to think about......Turner was actually targeted much more heavily in the passing game this pre-season. At least when I was watching. He caught three passes from Ryan in the first quarter and looked pretty solid doing it.

If there is a huge emphasis on the passing game in ATL, why can't Turner get a little piece of that?

Devil's advocate: No reason to think Turner still doesn't get every single goal-line carry he can handle which means a virtual lock for double-digit TDs. Should also be a safe bet for 200 carries 4.0 average as a baseline which puts him at 800 rush yards, 10 TDs, and 20 rec for 200 yards.

He did have 17 rec for 180 yds or so last year so he can do some stuff out of the backfield probably. Hard to see Rodgers outperforming 1000-1200 total yards, 10-15 TDs.