[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Fantasy Mentor

I'm a first time fantasy football player this year. I joined a league with a couple of people I know. I'm not a big football fan so I only knew common sense information. I've been doing as much research as i could over the last week or so and drafted yesterday. I feel like I did decent based on what I've read about draft strategy. my roster is as follows:

QB: Matt Ryan

RB1: LeSean McCoy

RB2: Matt Forte

WR1: Hakeem Nicks

WR2: Jordy Nelson

TE: Aaron Hernandez

Flex: Ryan Mathews

D: Jaguars Defense

K: Niel Rackers

Bench: Roy Helu, Mark Ingram, Kenny Britt, Titus Young, Darrius Heyward-Bey, Kendall Hunter, Daniel Thomas, Andy Dalton, Mikel Leshoure, Austin Collie, and Leonard Hankerson.

I feel like my WRs could be stronger (due to a mispick resulting in Ryan Mathews when I meant to select A.J. Green) and I also felt lost later in the draft and took a bunch of shots in the dark. Therefore I also feel like my bench is weak. A number of injuries also worry me. I plan on picking my defense weekly based on matchups.

Now that I'm done with the draft I'm not sure what my next step should be. To get to my point. I'm looking an experienced mentor. Obviously, I can't ask one of my competitors for advice and I find myself unsure about what to do a lot and would rather not have to crate an entire thread for every small question that pops in my head. Any help is much appreciated.

Welcome!

If you could let us know your scoring and # of teams in the league, that would help tremendously.

If this is a 10-or-more-team league, I think you've done a great job.

I am big on Matt Ryan (awesome preseason) and Hernandez (who apparently has taken over as Brady's favorite target).

I think your mispick of Matthews is going to turn out huge for you - you just need to cover yourself while you wait for Matthews to return. Your team has INSANE scoring ability. If you could also list some of the top free agents on the waiver wire in your league, that would help in assessing the situation. I would definitely hold on to Kenny Britt on your bench.

Again welcome to Fantsy Football!

• Like 1

Welcome!

If you could let us know your scoring and # of teams in the league, that would help tremendously.

If this is a 10-or-more-team league, I think you've done a great job.

I am big on Matt Ryan (awesome preseason) and Hernandez (who apparently has taken over as Brady's favorite target).

I think your mispick of Matthews is going to turn out huge for you - you just need to cover yourself while you wait for Matthews to return. Your team has INSANE scoring ability. If you could also list some of the top free agents on the waiver wire in your league, that would help in assessing the situation. I would definitely hold on to Kenny Britt on your bench.

Again welcome to Fantsy Football!

It's a 10 team league with standard (according to espn fantasy football) non-ppr scoring. One thing I noticed is that a TD run or reception would award 6 pts, while a TD pass would only award 4 pts. Which seems to make QBs a little less valuable. As far as covering myself during Mathews' recovery, who should I be looking at for my flex position? Again, thank you very much for all the help.

Some of the top free agents available are listed below. Let me know if there are any I should pick up or keep my eye on.

QB-

Mark Sanchez-NYJ

Matt Hasselbeck-TEN

Christian Ponder-MIN

Jake Locker-TEN

Russel Wilson-SEA

WR-

James Jones-GB

Jabar Gaffney-NE

Santana Moss-WSH

Randall Cobb-GB

Jon Baldwin- KC

Danny Amendola-STL

Michael Floyd-ARI

RB-

Mike Tolbert-CAR

Brandon Jacobs-SF

Jahvid Best-DET

Evan Royster-WSH

Jonathan Dwyer-PIT

Vick Ballard-IND

Ronnie Hillman-DEN

LaMichael James-SF

Edited by fantasynewbie

Good job on your first draft...when i started reading I figured it was a 6 team league lol...but for a 10 team league you did pretty well. As for whats available, I'd drop dalton for Locker since Locker has a higher upside..then for WR depth make sure you watch Cobb and Baldwin...I wouldn't touch you RBs for right now I think you have a good amount of depth there, much better than whats left in free agency

Good job on your first draft...when i started reading I figured it was a 6 team league lol...but for a 10 team league you did pretty well. As for whats available, I'd drop dalton for Locker since Locker has a higher upside..then for WR depth make sure you watch Cobb and Baldwin...I wouldn't touch you RBs for right now I think you have a good amount of depth there, much better than whats left in free agency

Awesome, I'm feeling better and better about my team. I saw Locker play well in his preseason game the other day. He looked pretty solid with Kendall Wright. I'll be sure to monitor Cobb and Baldwin's statuses. I imagine I would drop Hankerson if I needed to pick one of them up. Right?

Edited by fantasynewbie

Awesome, I'm feeling better and better about my team. I saw Locker play well in his preseason game the other day. He looked pretty solid with Kendall Wright. I'll be sure to monitor Cobb and Baldwin's statuses. I imagine I would drop Hankerson if I needed to pick one of them up. Right?

Yes Hankerson is your bubble guy..if he doesnt come off hot and Cobb or Baldwin do...dump him to pick up the one with the hot start

Sounds good. Do you like Locker over Russell Wilson now that he's been named #1QB in Seattle?

Yes I still do, Locker finally got a full training camp and he has a few regular season starts under his belt already..but to me its based off of personal preferance. I think Locker has the better targets with N. Washington, K. Wright, K. Britt, Chris Johnson, and Cook...over Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin...and?!?!? depth chart for the seahawks please? Lynch is there...who is their TE? get my point?

Yes I still do, Locker finally got a full training camp and he has a few regular season starts under his belt already..but to me its based off of personal preferance. I think Locker has the better targets with N. Washington, K. Wright, K. Britt, Chris Johnson, and Cook...over Sidney Rice, Doug Baldwin...and?!?!? depth chart for the seahawks please? Lynch is there...who is their TE? get my point?

I get you. Some free agent updates:

Lance Moore, Shane Vereen, Michael Bush, Toby Gerhart, Randy Bullock, and Matt Flynn were all released by their owners

Anyone I shoud be looking at?

I think you could comfortable pass on Bullock. Vereen and Gerhart are worth considering

I agree on bullock. Vereen has all but lost the patriots back position to Ridley. I like Gerhart and the idea of handcuffing with Michael Bush since Forte is one of my starters, but are they a better option than my worst RB? If so which one?

I get you. Some free agent updates:

Lance Moore, Shane Vereen, Michael Bush, Toby Gerhart, Randy Bullock, and Matt Flynn were all released by their owners

Anyone I shoud be looking at?

I'd watch Lance Moore. With Meachem gone to San Diego more of those passes have to be caught..he is currently the 3rd WR on the depth chart but Henderson is before him....that I dont trust

i would pick up Bush and Gerhart and drop Dalton and Hankerson. I wouldn't worry about a back up QB because their are still starters on the waiver wire. Matt Ryan will be starting for you most of the season. After the first couple of weeks you can drop the worst player on your bench and pick up the best free agent QB. If AP comes back slowly you already have Gerhart and if Forte gets hurt Bush could be a beast. If you wait on them, you may not be able to get them later

i would pick up Bush and Gerhart and drop Dalton and Hankerson. I wouldn't worry about a back up QB because their are still starters on the waiver wire. Matt Ryan will be starting for you most of the season. After the first couple of weeks you can drop the worst player on your bench and pick up the best free agent QB. If AP comes back slowly you already have Gerhart and if Forte gets hurt Bush could be a beast. If you wait on them, you may not be able to get them later

I've already tried that, but my league allows a maximum of 8 RB per team. Is it worth dropping one of my current RBs to pick someone up? Maybe Mikel Leshoure? The Lions are reportedly shopping around for a new back. Or Daniel Thomas? He's still competing with Lamar Miller for a spot behing Reggie Bush.

Edited by fantasynewbie