[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Thoughts and advice

cliaz

I'm not going to get in to all the details (because it would take forever) but here is the situation - We're going through a new re-org at work and the new Sr. manager for my group (along with all of her peers and executives) reside down in Texas. Since we reorg'ed it has been a complete nightmare to say the least. The new managers and executives have come in, not once sat down with us to understand what we do, how we support our clients, ect, ect. They are just making random decisions which so far have cost 2 Sr executives (from the new group) their jobs.

So my new manager told me that I am no longer a manager. She took my group from me and gave me the title of team lead. All that means is that I get all of the escalations and problems from my previous position but nothing else yet I still have to also manage 10 accounts. She told me that when the manager position opens up for my group that I can apply for it. Fair enough, right. That's her call as the new Sr manager. However, a week goes by and I ask about the position and she tells me it is frozen so no interviews can be done. I know this is a lie because I was looking at the open slot in our internal career center. I didn't say anything and let it go because I don't know if the word just came down and they did not have time to change it in the system.

Another week goes by and she calls me up to tell me that she doesn't want me to apply to the position because I do not live in Texas. She wants her managers to sit right next to her. Basically, this new group of management comes from a smaller company and they are not used to global teams. They cannot wrap their head around managing people scattered all over the world. They require everyone to sit in Texas and all team meetings have to be attended in person (not over the phone). So be it again - right. My thought process is that it is her organization and she can choose who to hire.

However, someone other than me (honestly - because she told this to two other people about me) leaked this out to others and I've been swamped with calls that I need to file a discrimination complaint against her over this. I've also received a lot of calls from others stating that I need to submit this to the ethics committee. Now the people calling me aren't just Joe Blow average employee. It has been managers, group managers, directors and two VPs.

In my mind, yes I'm pissed over the situation - in fact very angry - but I do not see it as an ethic violation nor discrimination. However, now that everyone and their mother has been calling me and citing different examples I kind of see it their way, too. So I am completely confused and need to bring this to the Council of the Tailgate for discussion.

What does it sound like to you? My instincts are to just leave it as is and continue looking for a position elsewhere.

Edited by cliaz

Honest answer?

The people asking you to ring up the new managers to the ethics committee are frustrated with the new regime as well and they want you to stick it to them with this issue hoping to enjoy any freedoms that this potential ethics violation would buy them.

I think you need to do right by you and your family in this situation. Does the risk of the complaint filing going poorly outweigh the security of not filing? Will not being a manager anymore affect you personally and professionally? Can you secure comparable employment elsewhere that would allow you to go the distance with this complaint however it goes?

Ignore what others mentioned because ultimately, their comments are likely self-serving. If you initially felt like it wasn't worth pursuing before others commented, then that's what I would do.

In my company when jobs are posted, the city is listed as well as whether it is eligible for VO. If you want a job in New York and it's not eligible for VO, you have to show up to the office in New York. Sounds like these Texas people are a bunch of pushy CHEETOs, but I don't see any legal or ethical basis for a complaint. And you probably know that filing a complaint would make your life there a living hell anyway, and you'd eventually lose your job most likely. Sounds like you need to get out. Good luck man.

I think the issue is with her telling you not to apply.

If the position is now going to be based in Texas, that can be a requirement in the job description, but she shouldn't be telling you to not apply. She should have just told you that the position will now be based in Texas, and if you were willing to relocate, apply away.

Talk with HR before you do anything. Reorgs are just that and are crappy at best. I went through 5 when I worked for Cell1 and AT&T. I finally ended up going to another company and they reorged within a year. Usually reorgs are a sign of a company about to sell. I finally left and started my own company for awhile and did contract work for the same companies that screwed me in the first place. Yet again when Worldcom went belly up I really got hosed and quit the telecom biz forever. Still leaves a bad taste in my mouth to this day. Hence one of the main reasons I would NEVER vote for a hatchet man like Mitt. Good luck and stick to your guns. Also talking with a esquire that specializes in labor laws would be worth every penny.

As Tford said the others that are giving you such sound advice are basically using you as a guinea pig so to speak.