[[Template core/front/custom/_customHeader is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Jets / Giants both at 1pm

LosGatosEnFuegos

I found a ton of articles saying that this was only the 3rd time in 28 years they played separate games at the same time, but I couldn't find one that explained why it was happening today.

All articles state it happened in 2009 to accommodate Jewish fans observing Yom Kippur. But no info on today.

Anyone know why it happened today?

Because the world doesn't revolve around New York :shrug:

Just meant that in jest, but the NFL accomodates for them to be able to play at the same stadium, and play at different times 99% of the time (somehow) so the Jets aren't completely ignored (my guess for the reasoning why they do).

My guess is there's just a lot of consequential divisional games to accomodate for, and already 6 games (most I can recall in quite some time) going at 4:00.

Edited by delusions of grandeur

I follow a TV sports broadcasting forum where these kinds of things are discussed regularly. Don't recall any specific reason sited for why it happened this time. (Jets being out of anything may have played a roll.) Not sure I understand it either, but basically they almost always play at opposite times, in this one case the NFL together with their TV partners decided that it wasn't important to play them at opposite times.

The key criteria for scheduling games the final week is to make sure that games that affect each other are played at the same time, as often as possible. So maybe that affected who played when and with the number of games (14 total Sunday afternoon, the most in any week of the season) to be scheduled the fell at the same time.

They always seem to do the same with the raiders and 49ers. I think it's so the TV ratings are higher. As in, if you live in the area you may be a fan of both teams. Whatever it is you can be sure it's about Money.